Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kneelh

Display flickering

19 posts in this topic

My display has just recently started to flicker.. it seems particularly noticeable after highway driving for a while. Hard to tell whether my actual headlights are flickering, but I think yes. It does not seem directly related to rpm. Turning on fan full, headlights and rear defrost only seems to make it slightly more worse. I did a quick search thru the forum but could not find anyone else talking about the same problem.Any ideas?CheersNeil

+1, bad reg.

Where's the voltage regulator? Is it part of the alternator?Bil :senile:

Where's the voltage regulator? Is it part of the alternator?Bil :senile:

And is it (regulator) something easy to replace, for a neophyte?

Here are the directions to remove the alternator. Any mechanic that rebuilds alternators should be able to fix your problem and test to ensure the regulator is the problem.

Finally took my car in for service.. I could not believe the technician.. was not the regulator, but a bad battery. I said no way.. he said yup. Bet him that if he installed new battery he'd have to remove it, once he took it for test drive... Well, I ate crow.. it has, at least as far as I can tell, fixed the problem.. go figure.

Batteries do go bad in the smart - so yep - I find ketchup helps with getting the crow down.Cheers,Cameron

I put some bigger gauge wiring on my airhorns than was necessary, and the draw from tooting at people makes everything dim, lol. I hope I'm not abusing the battery.

I put some bigger gauge wiring on my airhorns than was necessary, and the draw from tooting at people makes everything dim, lol. I hope I'm not abusing the battery.

What's a little abuse, when you get so much enjoyment out of 'tooting' at people? :lol:

The display on my 450 flickers with an audible clicking sound. Had problems earlier in the very cold with engine quitting and all warning lights on (as if switch on prior to starting), then engine light staying on after re-starting. The engine light is no longer staying on after a start (I.e. all systems normal) but this constant display clicking flicker.Not sure I want to drive the smart any distance in case it dies again! Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Kneelh,

My bet is that the new battery is only a temporary fix and the real problem is the alternator.

The alternator regulator is failing resulting in unstable charging voltage which is causing the flickering and eventually not charging the battery sufficiently.

When the new battery discharges enough the problem will be back.

Search for posts by Ianjay who had the same problem.

Huronlad posted alternator replacement instructions by Evilution, my method is better.

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?autocom=...ticle&id=31

Beejum,

Sounds like you have the same problem.

Cold weather puts a strain on the charging system and that's when problems tend to show up.

Canman

The display on my 450 flickers with an audible clicking sound. Had problems earlier in the very cold with engine quitting and all warning lights on (as if switch on prior to starting), then engine light staying on after re-starting. The engine light is no longer staying on after a start (I.e. all systems normal) but this constant display clicking flicker.Not sure I want to drive the smart any distance in case it dies again! Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks, Canman. The battery is new last year and cranks the engine well, even after 3-4 days in very cold weather. It's the clicking that coincides with the flickering that concerns me. A loose contact in the instrument cluster?

The flickering could be a bad voltage regulator but it could also be an artefact of a high electrical load such as that imposed when ESP thinks the car is skidding....i.e. a rear reluctor ring may be broken.

The flickering could be a bad voltage regulator but it could also be an artefact of a high electrical load such as that imposed when ESP thinks the car is skidding....i.e. a rear reluctor ring may be broken.

You are absolutely right, Mike! Many thanks! A reluctor ring was broken and just had a used replacement axle installed. I have to learn why the rings are made of brittle white metal. Now - where do I buy new smart 450 reluctor rings in Canada?

post-2027-1364683574_thumb.jpg

I got mine from the link below on Tolsens recommendation when they were 3.99GBP and the total was $19.00, now their only 1.99GBP. I think it took about 7 business days for delivery. Hope this helps.http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-RING-RELUCTOR-...#ht_3035wt_1255

Again. Many thanks, all! I'm in good hands in this smart community! Talk soon!

I got mine from the link below on Tolsens recommendation when they were 3.99GBP and the total was $19.00, now their only 1.99GBP. I think it took about 7 business days for delivery. Hope this helps.http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-RING-RELUCTOR-...#ht_3035wt_1255

Holy crap! That's an amazing price! Other ones I'v seen were like $25 each. I better get me a couple of those as spares!

Holy crap! That's an amazing price! Other ones I'v seen were like $25 each. I better get me a couple of those as spares!

No kidding. :blink: After currency conversion & shipping the set which I picked up from Smartmods ended up costing about $52 per ring.