Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
triumph17

Motor oil viscosity

13 posts in this topic

Canadian Tire has a sale on Mobil 1 oil starting tomorrow and I wanted to knowwhich viscosity to buy for my 2008 Pure?Thanks for any advise.

Canadian Tire has a sale on Mobil 1 oil starting tomorrow and I wanted to knowwhich viscosity to buy for my 2008 Pure?Thanks for any advise.

What does your owner's manual say?

From past experience, they seldom have the 0W40 on sale and they only sell it in 1L bottles. I stocked up on Castrol Syntec 5W40 when it was on sale recently for about $29.00/4.4L. It complies with MB 229.1 and 229.3 which should be OK for my cdi Smart. Check your manual. It should tell you what to use. I use Syntec in two of my other benzes, but my old diesel 300D gets 5W50 or 15W50 depending on what is available.

From past experience, they seldom have the 0W40 on sale and they only sell it in 1L bottles.

Yes, they only seem to stock 0W40 in 1 L bottles, but if they advertise Mobil 1 products on sale, all you need to do is ask. If what you are looking for isn't in stock, they will order it for you at the sale price.I did that at a local CT store and got a rain cheque. Picked up 18 bottles (3 cases) :D

My rain check of Mobil 1 0W40 came in at under $5/L (I think they made a mistake!). ;)

I changed the oil in our Smart tonight - It was done in April, but seeing car (cdi) is new to us, I thought I would change it early. Used Syntec 5W40.One thing I noticed was that first time I checked with dipstick, level was near top. But if I cleaned dipstick and rechecked, it would be lower - maybe 75%. I did this several times. Always first measurement was higher. Can't understand why....

One thing I noticed was that first time I checked with dipstick, level was near top. But if I cleaned dipstick and rechecked, it would be lower - maybe 75%. I did this several times. Always first measurement was higher. Can't understand why....

Did you use the proper method of dip checking as instructed in the owner's manual, do you do the quick stick it in, pull it out method in unheated oil?The results will be quite diferent and the reason for doing it the proper way will be obvious.

The reason for this is that the crankshaft counterweights are splashing vigourously in the oil when the engine is running, which will push oil up the dipstick a ways.When checking oil, NEVER use the newly withdrawn dipstick as representing the actual oil level. Put it in after wiping it off, wait 1 minute then withdraw it, to get a proper reading.

The reason for this is that the crankshaft counterweights are splashing vigourously in the oil when the engine is running, which will push oil up the dipstick a ways.When checking oil, NEVER use the newly withdrawn dipstick as representing the actual oil level. Put it in after wiping it off, wait 1 minute then withdraw it, to get a proper reading.

I did it the proper way. Except because I had just changed oil, only engine was warm, not oil. I was checking that I had put in the correct amount.To be honest, I had not read the manual. But I just did, and that is how I would check oil level on any car. What I was saying, is that I get a high reading first time I check by inserting cleaned dipstick. Then if I repeat the clean and insert, subsequent readings are all lower. Can only think that first time some oil on side of tube gets deposited on stick first time it is inserted. Either way, I am either 90% full or 75% full! But will check it again (haven't driven car since oil was changed).BTW - Just got a flyer from West Marine - They have their vacuum oil extractors on sale for $59.95. 6.5L, I believe. I have a larger unit of similar design made by Mity-Vac. It sucks and discharges. Great unit - I have had it for quite a while and use it on all cars except my SL (which has to be drained). On most MBs, the oil can be sucked up the diptube - that is how many shops do it. I imagine that is how MB intended cdi engine to be done too, although it seems a little extra oil can be sucked out by inserting tube all the way. Edited by Graham

My rain check of Mobil 1 0W40 came in at under $5/L (I think they made a mistake!). ;)

Gotta luv those kinds of mistakes :D :D Edited by Leadwing

The oil filter filled up? That would take about a quarter litre.....