Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
andr01dm

When to..? Winter tires.

25 posts in this topic

Hi.

I've ordered a set of winter tires for my new 2010 Fortwo, from Flying Tiger. But I'm not certain of when the right time to swap to them is. I live in Toronto, so I was thinking maybe late November, early December-ish.

When do you make the swap from summer tires to your winter set? Also when do you swap back? April-ish?

Thank you. :)

When the typical daily high temperature is below 7 degrees C. Above 7 C, the rubber on winter tires wears out really fast!

If you go to your MB dealer right now, ask for one of the "temperature stickies" -- it's a small, thermochromic sticker you affix to the windshield that goes from blank to a blue "7°C -- Think of your winter tires"" when the temperature drops to 7°C.

In Vancouver, I generally throw them on sometime after Remembrance Day, then pull em' off sometime after Valentines Day. It's not perfect, but it works well and keeps me from joining in the general panic when the first snowflake falls.

If you go to your MB dealer right now, ask for one of the "temperature stickies" -- it's a small, thermochromic sticker you affix to the windshield that goes from blank to a blue "7°C -- Think of your winter tires"" when the temperature drops to 7°C.

Hey, that's cool! I'll stop at the dealership tomorrow.

Bil :sun:

When the typical daily high temperature is below 7 degrees C. Above 7 C, the rubber on winter tires wears out really fast!

Interesting information, thank you. :) I'll keep an eye on the daily temps and maybe pick up one of those stickers.

According to this table, mean average temp in Kelowna is 8C or lower from October through April. Yep, that's about when I change to winter rubber - Oct 15 to April 15.

Bil :sun:

Here, it is only that cold for December and January.

Comparing apples-to-apples, average mean temperature recorded at Victoria, BC is 8C or lower from November through April.

LINKY

B :sun:

"That Cold" = 7 C, and yes Ladysmith is usually warmer than Victoria!

I'm going to have my changed toward the end of Oct. - hopefully just before everyone else wants theirs on.Ish.

But that's not the daytime high.

No, it is mean daily temperature - the middle temperature between high and low. I occasionally drive at night too, as well as up to higher elevations. so restricting the 8C-or-below requirement to just daytime highs is not advised, IMHO.Also note, these are average temperatures. Actuals can vary considerably. The OP's question about when to change over to winter tires seemed to me to be asking for general guidance. North York, Ontario mean average T @ 8C or lower is November through April. LINKY So his surmise would fit with the climate statistics: winter tires on in mid-November, off again mid-April.B :sun: Edited by bilgladstone

No, I agree with your conservative recommendation, but I don't follow my own advice, preferring to switch only at the first chance of (lasting) snow. Last year that was forecast for 16 December, the day after the Quebec mandatory deadline for mounting winter tires. I had them off at the earliest legal date, 15 March. It was a mild and light winter.

Daytime highs here in early April can leap into the 20s. There is no way I'm driving on the soft compound tires at 24 degrees!

Daytime highs here in early April can leap into the 20s. There is no way I'm driving on the soft compound tires at 24 degrees!

I certainly understand that. My local conundrum is that, in town this is also the case, but if we want to drive to the coast or elsewhere across the mountains, we need true snowies at the upper elevations.For example, last spring I switched from snowies to my new summer Hankooks in April but then had an unexpected day-trip to the Big White Mountain area and got stuck in the snow!:sun:

It was 26 degrees with 85% humidity in Duncan today. It has been an awful, humid fall.

I was just a the tire shop today (Unlimited Tire in Coquitlam) and got the same advice... when the daytime temp is 7 degrees or below it's time to put on snow tires. I think this must be an industry standard.However, I think I'm going to lean towards the first chance of snow rule, since I'll just change them myself.

+1. And I have two full winter sets on wheels to choose from! (Snowball the smart will never again be driven in snow, ironically).

Just to summarize, for my own sake:Winter tires should go on when the average daily temp is around 7C. Which where I live (North York, Ontario) means that the winter tires go on approximately in mid-November and come off approximately in mid-April.As I'll be handling changing the tires I'll keep an eye on the temperature and any risk of early snow fall.. or I'll delay a bit if it stays warm longer.Thank you all for your help! :D

I'd rather play by the daytime high temperature. "All Season" tires typically only work well in mild temperatures, but they can be used safely in cooler temperatures and slippery conditions provided you are careful and adjust your driving to suit conditions. "Summer" tires such as the stock Contis on the 450 are OK down to about 12° but again, can be used with caution to lower temperatures. True winter tires are safe down to Arctic temperatures but they wear very quickly -- and can actually be un-safe -- when used above 7° because of squirming, lack of traction and overheating.

I'd rather play by the daytime high temperature. "All Season" tires typically only work well in mild temperatures, but they can be used safely in cooler temperatures and slippery conditions provided you are careful and adjust your driving to suit conditions. "Summer" tires such as the stock Contis on the 450 are OK down to about 12° but again, can be used with caution to lower temperatures. True winter tires are safe down to Arctic temperatures but they wear very quickly -- and can actually be un-safe -- when used above 7° because of squirming, lack of traction and overheating.

Okay, daily high temp of 7° it is then! Thank you. :) Edited by andr01dm

Put them on before the first snow in August.Take them off after the risk for serious snow has passed in June. June - August, just keep some chains handy......I live in Winnipeg ;)

I have a ? along this line: When is it better to BUY winter tires? My rear tires are shot and I know I'll need new ones next winter. Would it be better buying them now, or waiting until then? MBOakville quoted me $389 for the pair, which seems a bit pricey! Could I get a better deal at Canuck Tire, Active Green and Ross, or Costco? Could I get them cheaper now because they would save needing to store them during the summer?

That price is about 100% too much. For a little over $300 you could get a set of 4 winter tires out of the US.