Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michaello

Do winter tires really make a difference?

10 posts in this topic

Dear Smart Friends,Do winter tires really make a huge difference in the winter? I am a new owner - that is the reason of my question.Best regards,Michaello

Yes they do, and they are worth every cent.The difference is:with winter-tires: driveablewithout winter-tires: NOT driveableI did one winter in a Smart without winter-tires (1998, first generation Smart, winter-tires not available back then).To make it short: i risked my life and had more then one "close calls"......Ghost

A great deal of testing has been done to verify that winter tires provide better traction on snow and ice. That being said not all winter tires are created equal, online reviews and tests are great to find the best performing winter and summer tires. I usually check TireRack's site but they do not stock/test all brands of tires for our cars.You also have a choice between ice radials and snow tires. I drive on many wind blown roads that can become very icy, so have purchased ice radials (X-Ice and WS-60) for several years. If you are driving mainly on snow covered roads a snow tire with deeper tread will work better.

The Quebec gov't has made the use of winter tires MANDATORY!A couple of years back there was a report of a German driver losing control on a snow covered road and she died in the resulting collision. It was reported she was not using winter tires.Draw your own conclusions. :D

The Quebec gov't has made the use of winter tires MANDATORY!

And just across the river in the Ottawa Valley all the way down to Windsor the Ontario Government has made studded tires illegal for decades.The only zone to ban them in Canada as far as I know...maybe Vancouver/Victoria has such a law?

Studs are legal here between Oct. and April.

They definitely do. However, have them mounted on STEEL wheels.I had a VW with ALUMINIUM wheels and they leaked like a basket, courtesy of our Ontario DoT and the liberal use of salt.A steel wheel can be cleaned up, I found out. Aluminium wheels get POROUS.Also, separate wheels can be mounted by yourself. My tire man laughs me out of his shop at the end of October when everyone (and his mother, uncle, brother-in-law.....) wants tires mounted.

It would have been more stuck without them.I like the story I had where there was an evening we all worked late at the office... 6 vehicles tried to get out at about midnight; first 5 couldn't make it out and needed to be pushed the whole way (SUV's, pickups, etc.) - the smart just dug in, hunkered down, and climbed right out - even though the snow was up past the footwell!You really do need winter tires, there's no exception.-Iain

And the Conti WinterContacts are probably among the least confidence-inspiring winter tires I've ridden, but they still make a huge difference. I imagine really good winters (Hakkas, WS-60s, Ice Bears) on the smart must totally rock.