Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
andr01dm

How to: Connect a Google Nexus One to a Bluetooth OBD scanner

5 posts in this topic

This guide details the process of connecting an OBDLink Bluetooth with a Google Nexus One cell phone, running an app called Torque. This allows me to view real-time data from various sensors around the car and engine, to log records of that data over time, and to read any fault codes if something goes wrong.

This info may be useful for doing this kind of set up with a 450 smart, but I don't think the scanner I chose to use will work with a diesel engine, so I'm posting this in the 451 How To forum to try and reduce any confusion. Just to be clear: If you want to try this with a 450, please make sure the OBD scanner you want to use will work with your engine.. preferably before you buy it. :)

Here are some URLs with details about the hardware and software that I'm using:

OBDLink Bluetooth: http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/smart-p...-bluetooth.html

Nexus One: http://www.google.com/support/android/

Torque: http://torque-bhp.com/

No warranty is implied with this guide. Use at your own risk. :)

Before You Do Anything

You will need to set up your phone so that you can view the data from your smart's computer. To do this you'll need two things; a scanning tool which plugs into the OBD port on your car and which uses Bluetooth to transmit data, and an app installed on your N1 that receives and displays the OBD data.

I bought an OBDLink Bluetooth with a right angle connector from ScanTool.net (US$152.90 + US$41.23 shipping), and it works for me, however there are several other OBD Bluetooth devices which you can purcase which will more-or-less do the same thing. Do some research online and choose the one that best suits your needs and budget. I can't give you any more advice than that, as I only have experience with the OBDLink and can't compare it with it's competitors.

There are also several OBD apps available for Android and for other mobile devices. I chose to use Torque because it looks great and appears to have all of the features that I want. Shop around, see what works best for you. I've upgraded to the paid version of Torque (£2.95 = CDN$4.77), but I'll demo the free version in this guide.

Installing Torque (Free)

Go to your N1's Home screen and click on the Marketplace icon. (Note, it may be on a different panel of your phone than it is on mine.)

Posted Image

Click on the search icon in Market and type in "torque", below this will appear any common search terms on the Market that include "torque". In this case, just "torque".

Posted Image

Click on it in the list to see a search results list. You'll probably see a few other OBD related apps listed along with Torque, or you can search for "obd" as well, and see what other similar apps are available on the Market.

Posted Image

Click on Torque (Ad Supported) in the search results and then click the Install button to start downloading it to your N1. Once it's installed, you should drag a copy of the icon for it from your list of apps and onto your desktop somewhere. Your N1 is now ready to connect with the OBDLink Bluetooth.

Posted Image

Connecting the OBDLink to the smart

The next step is to connect your OBDLink to your smart car's OBD socket. This socket is located under the dashboard, to the right of the steering wheel on North American smarts.

Posted Image

Pull the cover open to reveal the socket. Note that the narrow side of the socket is to the top.

Posted Image

Now plug in your OBDLink's cable. I bought the 90° angled socket, they have one that comes straight out as well.. I wish the narrow side of the socket had been on the bottom instead. C'est la vie.

Posted Image

Turn your car's ignition to the "ON" position.

Posted Image

And plug the OBDLink into the other end of the cable. As you do this all of the lights will light up briefly, starting at the left and then moving to the right. Once that's finished the Status light in the middle will pulse between red and yellow.

Posted Image

Pairing Your N1 with the OBDLink's Bluetooth

Okay, now that the OBDLink is up and running and connected to the smart's computer, we need to get the phone to connect to it. If you start Torque you'll see this message: "Waiting for OBD Connection". Before Torque can access the OBDLink's Bluetooth data stream we first have to pair the N1 with the OBDLink.

Posted Image

On your N1 press Menu Posted Image and then Settings.

Posted Image

Then select Wireless & networks.

Posted Image

Then select Bluetooth settings.

Posted Image

Then select Bluetooth, Turn on Bluetooth. This will switch on the phone's Bluetooth radio and it will begin looking for other Bluetooth devices. After a few minutes you should see that it has found something like ScanTool.net-2316. Click on ScanTool.net-2316, Pair with this device. (Note: smart BT is showing up as well because my phone is already paired with my car's Bluetooth.)

Posted Image

You'll get a "Bluetooth pairing request" popup asking you to enter the PIN for the device. For OBDLink it defaults to "1234", so enter that and click OK.

Posted Image

And you'll see the message "Paired but not connected" beneath ScanTool.net-2316. This had me puzzled at first, wondering why it hadn't connected. You need to use the Torque app (or a similar app) to create the connection with a paired OBD device.

Posted Image

Going back into Torque we can see an icon at the top of the screen indicating that there is now a Bluetooth device to connect to.

Posted Image

On your N1 press Menu Posted Image and then More.

Posted Image

Press on Settings.

Posted Image

Which will show you all of the many settings available in Torque. Scroll down the list until you get to...

Posted Image

...Device, Select the already paired device to connect to and press on it.

Posted Image

You'll get a popup showing all of the Bluetooth devices your phone is currenty paired with. Select the ScanTool.net-2316.

Posted Image

Now Torque should have "Connected to ECU OK." in the top left, and will show blue icons that indicate you're connected to the car. It will also show some data in the output window, but since the car isn't running yet it won't have much to tell you.

Posted Image

So start your car. :) You'll see some more data comes up in the output window.

Posted Image

If you slide the desktop one screen to the left you can see a couple of output dials showing the engine load and the throttle position. Rev the engine a few times to see them in action.

Posted Image

Configuring Torque

Once you're satisfied that the OBDLink to N1 connection is working, you should do a little configuration in Torque to set it up for the smart Fortwo. First go to it's Settings menu (see above) and press on Engine Displacement (L).

Posted Image

In the popup enter "0.999" and press OK.

Posted Image

Then press on Vehicle Weight(kg).

Posted Image

And in the popup enter "730" and press OK.

Posted Image

Updating the Firmware and Baud on the OBDLink

You may want to update the firmware on your OBDLink to the latest version, which will also require that you set the baud rate of the Bluetooth module. There are instructions on how to do this on ScanTool's website here:

Firmware: http://www.scantool.net/downloads/updates/obdlink/

Setting the Baud: http://www.scantool.net/support/index.php?...1&nav=0,2,9

And there you have it. Please let me know if you have any comments on this guide; if any of it needs clarification or if I've made a mistake or left something out.

I have similar obd adapter with torque free version.I could not make fuel economy gauge such as l/ 100 km work. Will I get it on premium version?

I know for the 450s you have to watch out with the OBD connector as our cars require a special euro one. With the SG2 they send you a special cord to fix the problem. . I had one of my smarts skip 13,000km one time due to a connector problem and luckily I have my mileage books for work and the dealer fixed it it. If I didn't have my mileage books I'd be SOL. Nice write up just a word of warning :)

I have never had a problem with the standard SGII cable in my 450. After using it for a year or two just to be on the safe side I removed the problematic pins from the connector.I just bought one of the $15 Bluetooth OBDII connectors off of Amazon, bought a copy of Torque ($5). Have not tried out the FE functions but otherwise seems to work well. Plan to give it a try on the next tank of fuel in the 451.

I had it twice thinking of it, once with the SG2 on the coupe and once with the autel maxirecorder from smartieparts on the red cabrio.Just hit and miss. :dunno: