Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fire_fly88

I can only get to 3,000 RPM

11 posts in this topic

For the past couple of mornings my car can only get up to 3,000 RPM even with the peddel to the floor. It only seems to hapen first thing in the morning when the temperature is neering frezzing. After about 10 minutes and after I turn off and turn back on the car then its back to normal. Any idea what might be the problem, and why would does it appear to be temperature dependant? Thanks. Calvin

I didn't respond immediately, because I assumed someone more knowledgeable would come along. You are in what is known here as 'limp mode'. Do a search for 'limp mode' and you should be able to find more information. It's often to do with the EGR valve getting clogged up.

Your problem is usually caused by turbo overboosting. Waste gate arm or rod may be sticking due to cold temperature. The rod may loosen once engine has heated up to operating temperature. Try lubing the rod where it goes into the wastegate regulator. Move the arm when you lube so you can verify if it is moving more freely as lube is added. There is good access once you have removed rear body panel.

Edited by tolsen

tolsen:Thanks for your reply. This has happened to me on a number of occasions in the same location early on the way to work on cold days.I haven't always checked for an error code, but if my memory serves me correctly, it had something to do with an overvoltage in one of the sensors.Good tip!

tolsen:Thanks for your reply. This has happened to me on a number of occasions in the same location early on the way to work on cold days.I haven't always checked for an error code, but if my memory serves me correctly, it had something to do with an overvoltage in one of the sensors.Good tip!

Does it happen at higher revs, i.e. when you shift down to negotiate a long hill and want to maintain speed. This happened to me when driving the 1000 km boring journey from Banchory to Dover to take the ferry to Dunkerque. Smart went into limp mode just before Dundee only 9 hours before my ferry would depart.A quick read of ECU told me the turbo boost pressure was too high. Deleted the DTC and made it on time to Dover only to be nearly arrested by the police because I carried an offensive weapon - my fish gutting knife. Blade was too long for the English.

Dover only to be nearly arrested by the police because I carried an offensive weapon - my fish gutting knife. Blade was too long for the English.

Maybe they're used to wee tiny fishies.

Good thing you didn't have any bagpipes in the car ;)

Does it happen at higher revs, i.e. when you shift down to negotiate a long hill and want to maintain speed. This happened to me when driving the 1000 km boring journey from Banchory to Dover to take the ferry to Dunkerque. Smart went into limp mode just before Dundee only 9 hours before my ferry would depart.A quick read of ECU told me the turbo boost pressure was too high. Deleted the DTC and made it on time to Dover only to be nearly arrested by the police because I carried an offensive weapon - my fish gutting knife. Blade was too long for the English.

It has happened 3 or 4 times usually on cold days during the 3 years that I have owned the car.I first notice it after about 5 minutes of driving when trying to climb a hill on the highway.Error code P0238 (Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit High) is the code that I once recovered. Edited by smartdriver

I think you need to adjust the waste gate a wee bit (assumes you have already confirmed that waste gate moves, lubed rod where it enters actuator and checked condition of rubber hose to wastegate actuator).

Posted Image

My new KKK KP31 turbo acquired for GBP 124.16 - onehundredtwentyfourpoundsandsixteenpence!

Try moving the nuts 1/2 - 1 turn to the right on the rod. Mark angular position of nuts with a felt tipped pen before adjusting. Moving nuts to the right reduces preload on wategate valve so it will open at a slightly lower boost pressure. Be careful not to transfer any torque to the rod as diaphragm may then suffer damage.

I've done this a number of times and it solves the overboost problem.

Hmmm...?  I have many times moved the rod from one limit to the opposite end of it's travel and even pushed against it to make sure it travels all the way.  Not too hard but pressure to see if it would go further...?
The next question is, IF it is damaged can you replace just the wastegate actuator and where do you locate the rod at...?  I see some careful measuring in tomorrow's examination.