Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michaello

How to install a 2 din radio?

6 posts in this topic

Dear Smart friends,I am planning to install a 2-din in-dash unit in my Smart. First thing I did - I bought a frame. But the unit is smaller than the frame and I cannot find any other inserts to fit the unit. I need your advice.Thank you!Michael

return it an buy a 1 din radio. i got a sony cd with blue tooth, works great even for the hands free phone calls.

A few folks have installed double DIN units in their 450's - you need to get the correct aftermarket frame for them and they are rare - you can also modify the dash but that is not reversible. Double DIN in a 450

For the 451 - You may have to locate the correct frame - pretty sure they have them some where - here is a link

Double DIN in a 451

Do a search for "Double DIN" (with the quotes) on the site and you will see a few other.

Cheers,

Cameron

I was looking to fit a 2 din radio but encountered the same problems, so i will be looking to fit a single din 7 inch screen similar to this one,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Single-1Din-Touch-Screen-Car-DVD-Player-Radio-MP3-USB-BT-IPOD-InDash-Stereo-/151549862726?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2349136346

regards

Mark

I have a DVD flip up screen on my 450. Even with the single DIN bezel it doesn't flow nicely. Also, be careful that you screen won't hit the signal stalk when it slides out. Mine touches it when I have the wipers engaged.

Good luck!

Izzy

Sorry to necro a really old thread but in case someone else stumbles upon this one looking for installation information check out this site. 

I've used a number of their faceplates for various installations including our Saturns which have a really weird layout and they work well and fit great. 

http://www.metraonline.com