Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fedon

Engine heater options

12 posts in this topic

I have been recently looking into engine preheaters for my 2005 passion and I'm not sure what route to take. My options are: 1) a factory block heater2) oil pan heater (wolverine or proheat)3) coolant heater/circulatorI would like to have the car be as close as possible to 40c for starting in the winter. Are any of these capable of getting the engine that warm? Anyone have any experience with any of these? I live in Toronto so it doesn't get super cold and also have easy access to power outlets.I have looked into those diesel burning coolant warmers as well. They are way out of my price range but they are damn nice.

Thanks. I like the fact that they are made here in Canada.My main concern is getting the car as close as possible to operating temp before leaving. I only drive about 7Km to school in the morning and without any external heat the car gets warm at around 5 Km.

In the past I have used a coolant heater/circulator. It is an inline deal and very easy to install. I have found these to be the best option for getting heat the fastest from the heater. I have used them for many winters in Calgary, although never with a smart car. Thats what I plan to use this year in my smart for an Ontario winter.GL

The Wabasto is a small diesel (and they have a gas model) heater that fits in the belly pan of the car - it heats the coolant and circulates it (through convection if nothing else) to preheat the car. They even come with a remote control to start them. Only downside is the price - you have to be really a warm liking person or need the car to start without electricity 100% of the time.

The concept of an auxliary heater was popular with air cooled VW's (since they didn't pump out much heat to the front when cold) and larger units for trucks (pretty much all the pickups and other trucks in the Arctic had them) - basically it assures a heat source even if the engine is not running.

I posted a link in another thread about to the Wabasto -

Linky

The Wabasto work a lot better than the old ones in the VW's made by Eberspacher and Perfection (i.e. don't catch fire, don't quit when you need them, don't need a ton of maintainance, don't burn tons of fuel). A lot of overland campers fit them to provide hot water for the unit and to make sure the engine will start in the middle of no where.

Cheers,

Cameron

Didn't realize it was 2500$ :sI have underground parking and it just doesn't get that cold so that's just not worth the investment to meI can't use my block heater either soo great :<

Edited by GetSet

So after a little shopping around I purchased a zerostart from CT but I chose not to install it because it relies on convection and has no actual pump for circulating the coolant. If you have seen the coolant lines on the smart they are not ideal for this type of heater. No biggie for me I have a friend with a VW who wants to buy it from me to put on his car. This led me to do some further research and I stumbled upon an installation PDF file posted on the forum here of an Espar diesel heater unit being installed on a smart (the entire thing is in German but can be translated). I called a few places and got a few prices around the $990 dollar mark for the Hydronic D5 kit without install since I am pretty mechanically inclined and found that install manual. This is damn good compared to the $2300 range some guys here on the forum are getting quoted. My old man has a Cummins Ram pickup that he wants a heater for as well so hopefully we can get a package deal. If all goes well I will be sure to post a full price list and installation how-to to share with everyone.

I have underground parking and it just doesn't get that cold so that's just not worth the investment to me

I can't use my block heater either soo great :<

If the temperatures don't get that high, I would suggest simply using an additive to your fuel (see the thread about Milligan's Diesel Conditioner). There are some very good suggestions there about a variety of products that are available.

I realize that you are probably looking for something to pre-warm the engine before using it, but since an electrical source (presumed, from your post that you "can't use {your} block heater") isn't available for the block heater, it seriously interferes with those plans.

Another suggestion listed somewhere in other threads is to block the air flow to the radiator bit cardboard, styrofoam or something else similar. This doesn't help in the initial tempeature of the engine, but should get it to operating temperature a bit quicker.

Another suggestion is to make sure the engine is in good tune (tune-up) and if you haven't already done it, check your anti-freeze and replace the thermostat to a winter one if it hasn't already been done.

Good luck

Ron :bike:

I ended up going with the $600 OEM unit. I had a 100w pan heater professionally installed, but it didn't do squat unless it was left for 8+ hours after which it would still struggle a bit at -23C. Its possible mine just disnt work properly (It was 20 years old) or wasnt glued on right, but I'm not going to bother trying another one. Not sure how much good a non-circulating heater would do with the radiator up front... I bet a circulating one with a pump would work if you could find a place to mount it, and it's probably cheaper than $600... When I was looking for one though I couldn't find one under about 700 watts, which meant I couldn't use it with my interior heater on the same circuit.I guess you could also do a more elaborate setup and wire a larger circulating heater (1000w+) and a trickle charger to the stock amphenol connector and wire in a relay so the HVAC blower comes on when the coolant heater does. The coolant heater connects to the heater matrix tubing so you could heat both the engine and the cabin (And by extension the battery) on one circuit... If I'd had more time I would have tried something like that but I needed it to work right away.

I ended up purchasing and installing an Espar Hydronic D5. I purchased the kit for $1100 taxes in from a place called Artcitc Traveler in Mississauga. I convinced myself to caugh up the money and get the best solution. The install was a pain in the ass but knowing what I know now the job would take half the time. To me, this type of heater should be a factory option on all diesels. It hasn't been really cold out so I haven't had the chance to really put it through the paces but at around 0 degrees celcius it brought the coolant up to operating temp in 5mins. Another benefit is the instant heat in the cabin. It is possible to wire the blower motor to the unit to defrost/ heat the cabin up but I don't have the time right now. Does anyone know where I can find a wiring schematic or tutorial so I don't have to search around for the wires?Ps. We really need service manuals for these cars.