Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Bryan C

Dash Display Light Stays On

23 posts in this topic

Just bought our 2006 cabrio. When I lock the door, the instrument display light on the dash comes on and appears to stay on. If I unlock the door, the light goes off.Also the fuel separator light is coming on?Separate issues or related? I'd appreciate any ideas on this. Thanks!

It could be a wet "Canada E-Box". Check the battery tray and see if the E-Box is in there, if so see if there is water in the tray. If yes again, have the dealer take a look and relocate it as per the Service Bulletin.There is an off-chance that you could actually have water in the fuel, so you chould have the fuel filter changed ASAP.

It could be a wet "Canada E-Box". Check the battery tray and see if the E-Box is in there, if so see if there is water in the tray. If yes again, have the dealer take a look and relocate it as per the Service Bulletin.There is an off-chance that you could actually have water in the fuel, so you chould have the fuel filter changed ASAP.

Thank you Mike! It was damp in the battery tray (apparently, the car was detailed before we bought it). Now that we've dried it out, everything is back to normal. I guess, for the next service, we should ask the dealer about moving the "Canada E-Box"?

Yes, there is a service bulletin on that. The water was getting in your electrics.

This is happening to me too!!!!So I as a quick fix. I open my trunk and lock my door with my snow brush from the inside... It is crazy stupid... but I don't want my dash to stay on....and my water spearter light stays on as well, unless I open the door... LOL!!!If you touch the break with out the key in does the light s come then too? Mine does... :angry: Anyways I am going to read the rest of this thread to see what else I can do to fix it.... This has only started to happend since i got my Euro Mod done to my car.MIKE what does a Canada E-Box look like??? My GOD i know nothing about car HAHAHA :biglaugh:so what do I need to do? where is the battery in the front?Wow I feel so stupid when it comes to cars... Please someone ask me to do their taxes... :P

Edited by derekbrochu

The battery is under the carpet in the foot well of the passenger's side of your car. Just peel the carpet back from the front until you can see the flat area designed for passenger's feet. It's under there.

No pics of the box but you might read this thread as well...Gord.

I read the thread... twice... still not sure what an Canada E.Box would look like? Anyways tonight I am going to dry up that box if I can! then see about getting it moved...E.Box..... ok I will look into it.

It's silver, about the size of half a large 80% Cocoa chocolate bar and three times as thick, lots o' wires going into it through a wide connector.

It's silver, about the size of half a large 80% Cocoa chocolate bar and three times as thick, lots o' wires going into it through a wide connector.

Thanks Mike...Now I will go in there dry that sh!t out and see if my key remote works again... Because that is only when I have a problem.. or when I touch the break when my car is off.I really hope this works because I hate locking my doors from my trunk with a long handled brush... I feel like a geek :nerd: locking up my car this way....Cheers and thanks for the help!

The Canadian E-box on my car is directly above the battery,under passenger side carpet and foam piece with air compressor and tire fit bottle.It has E-box printed on it.It looks like this....

post-8071-1291952859_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike...Now I will go in there dry that sh!t out and see if my key remote works again... Because that is only when I have a problem.. or when I touch the break when my car is off.I really hope this works because I hate locking my doors from my trunk with a long handled brush... I feel like a geek :nerd: locking up my car this way....Cheers and thanks for the help!

for a more professional appearance, while locking car, may I recommend using one of those telescoping poles that painters usenot only can you optimize the length, but the deluxe versions have neoprene padding in the grip areaunfortunately, I am unable to explain further, how I came to know thisgood luck

The Canadian E-box on my car is directly above the battery,under passenger side carpet and foam piece with air compressor and tire fit bottle.It has E-box printed on it.It looks like this....

for a more professional appearance, while locking car, may I recommend using one of those telescoping poles that painters usenot only can you optimize the length, but the deluxe versions have neoprene padding in the grip areaunfortunately, I am unable to explain further, how I came to know thisgood luck

To Masher 1 thanks This helped me find the ebox... I dryed it out for hours still no fix... still having the problem of my lights staying on when locking car with key.... still going through trunk reaching into front and locking my door "FROM THE INSIDE"To CruiseMissle... I have no bought a telescoping car snow brush that helps with the geekiness of locking my door through the trunk. Good Idea.Cheers...

I had this problem too, even bought a new(er) E-box from a person parting out his car with no fix.Most Cdn Smarts have had the e-box moved by the dealer out of the battery well to avoid water damageif yours is on the firewall it should be ok.My solution was to go after the white wiring harness (plug) in the battery well, mine was white nylon & it's the only one in there....it was all corroded so I just cut the plug out & spliced the wires back together.All my problems with door locks & phantom idiot lights went away after that.

Some 'e-boxes' are getting water damaged even after they are moved to the fire wall! This is caused by leaking windshield sealant.

Some 'e-boxes' are getting water damaged even after they are moved to the fire wall! This is caused by leaking windshield sealant.

what does the Ebox do? Can i just take it off? or should I get it fixed at the dealer.

I think it's the brake switch because the dash light will come on when the brake is applied.Good luck!

But can I unplug the E.Box till I go in to the dealer??? Because they can't see me till mid Jan. (How can they be that busy... anyways... Would it be bad if I unplugged it till like after the new year?

I just really would like to lock my door with my key. And not have the dash board light up... and I want that water seperater light to turn off too... it bugs me.is there an easy way to check that? to make sure there isn't any water in there? :huh: