Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Help us improve YOUR forum!

44 posts in this topic

I'm surprised the site doesn't get a fee from vendors that make money by selling items on self promotion, (not personal sales like classifieds though.)But for the dealers to be a "sponsor of sorts" to this site.The money could go to improving the site i'm sure. Many sites do this and some have a fee just for any member to post pics.This fee would only be for vendors/dealers, and I'm sure with all the thousands of dollars made on the self promotion area, the dealers wouldn't mind paying a small fee to support the site they are making money with.Just a thought. ;)

Edited by Coast Steve

The idea of fees has been broached from time to time but that adds a whole layer of "fun" that we don't seem to have the volunteers to handle, as well as the concept of commercialization of the site which some how doesn't seem to whet the palete of most folks.Cheers,Cameron

I can see what you mean, I guess the flashing advertising banners would change the look of the site too.Running a business myself, I know it origially costs money to promote your products.Now a days for me word of mouth works well.Our club is a real gift to sellers, and I'm glad to be a small part of supplying quality products to Smart car drivers.

Edited by Coast Steve

This site is hosted - for free - by Steve Morehouse in Kelowna, so thanks Steve!

When we have a poll about anything,couldn't it be put on the 'front page',or somewhere very noticable,so ALL members will WANT to vote?This could be done for every poll,and the poll would immediately be displayed as soon as a member logs in.This should result in more accurate 'poll' results.

Edited by PrairieBoy

As in a Festivus Pole? North Pole? Stripper Pole (now that might be popular for some)? Did you mean a Poll? As to the front page it should be a welcome to the site thing - as to having polls front and centre - well for a while we had so many silly based polls we almost got to the point of requiring moderator permission to create them. Most folks that are interested will seek the polls out - the rest ignore them rather effectively (hence this dictates the low response rates rather than the placement on the site).Cheers,Cameron

Yeah, even the votes in our elections have had dismal turnout. Like 100 votes cast at the highest(!), out of 500 active members. So don't get upset if you only get 40 votes!

For those that want wiki's - there is already a section to create them that I guess people haven't been adventureous enough to check out -

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?autocom=ibwiki

I have changed the name to attract a bit of attention to it - please check it out and see if that works for ya'

Cheers,

Cameron

Tried the wiki thing - works well - and others can add content so feel free to move articles across so they become static rather than discussions. We may need to add a few more categories etc. but let's get some content first.Cheers,Cameron

I seem to recall that before you needed to be a member of the "articles" group. I see that restriction no longer applies though. I'll try moving some things over to there later.EDIT: Also, On the one article that is there, I see there is no way to edit it. Is it possible for other members to edit articles, or is that one in particular just locked in some way?

Edited by FlossyTheSmart

Added regular members to the group that can edit - think the logic was that mods, admins and the author could edit - we will try it this way and see - if there is too much I say you say edits then we will restrict it a bit.My perms are different so yes please - regular members please try out the features and let me know if something doesn't work.Cheers,Cameron

I created an article from your (Speedie) "how to lube the clutch actuator" thread. Mostly worked on the first go. I attempted to directly hotlink to the pictures that had already been uploaded, but that didn't seem to work right away. Some experimentation to do, but I'll make a "how to turn a forum thread into an article" article once I have the problems worked out!

There are some limitations with IPB on moving/copying articles but it can be done with out too much effort - and the how to is posted up in the wiki Articles :lol::lol: So go nuts all you wikiacs!Cheers,Cameron

I posted my "how to clean the cabriolet headliner" article already, not too hard!

Perhaps we should have a thread in which people can suggest pages to be transferred to wiki form? I've just done the blinking side markers mod (by Duck) and the how to get wires to the front of the car (by gordo.bernard), but really am just skimming the how-to section and grabbing things that look relevant. If people see something especially relevant or interesting, they could put a link to the thread so that someone with spare time could convert it.Opinions?

I think you will find that it is more a monkey see, monkey do thing if you really want a wiki up there - suggestions are great but spare time tends to be pretty limited commodity! ;) Cheers,Cameron

Hi,when I reply to a topic and click submit, my reply's gone to /dev/null :huh: I just tried that in "Introduce Yourself". Replied 2 times, no reply visible. Yes, I allowed cookies.Olaf