Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danno

No compression - new engine?

19 posts in this topic

G'day, everyone. Here is my story:My check-engine light came on, and I noticed an occasional rough idle (not always). The car seemed fine otherwise. I checked the code on my Scangauge and it was P0303, which indicates a cylinder misfire. Suspecting it may just be a dirty injector, I put in some fuel injector cleaner. The Scangauge wasn't able to clear the code, but then the light went out on its own after a short drive and then came back again a couple days later. I took it in this morning to the dealer (after about 3 weeks, and a couple bottles of injector cleaner). The rep just called and said there is no compression in the cylinder, and that it probably means a block replacement/new engine required. He is going to call me back with my options. I've currently got close to 140K on the car (2006 diesel).Has this happened to others? I would have thought I would notice if there was no compression in one cylinder (other than infrequent rough idle), especially since there are only 3 cylinders in total. I don't know how much a new engine costs, but probably about as much as the car is worth.

Sounds more like a valve than rings. A few engines have had lifter failures leading to rocker breakage, and the valve seat has come loose on a few. New heads are available, no idea of the cost but a lot less than an engine. For sure get it diagnosed a bit closer before deciding.I doubt there is NO compression, low maybe. Does it still run well enough to make it down to Vancouver and Flying Tiger? Any independent options in your area? Anyone with German car experience should be capable and have the tools to change a head, if that's what it is. What is your oil change history? Hydraulic lifters are VERY sensitive to poor oil.Good luck! Hope it's not as bad as you fear.

Thanks for the info. I still haven't heard back from the dealer with any more information.My oil change history is good with the exception of one time where I went about 2,000 past the indicator before being able to get it changed. I always put in Mobil 1 oil, and have done the oil changes myself since shortly after the warranty period elapsed.The car runs fine other than the idle roughness (and also why I can't understand there being no compression), so I expect it would make it down to Flying Tiger. That is one thing I have considered. I'm not familiar with any other decent local independent mechanics - there was a good german mechanic who went out of business a couple years ago, but I could ask around.

Edited by danno

I second Alex's idea of driving to Flying Tiger for a diagnosis and possible repair.If the bottom end of the engine is bad (broken rings for example) then you will need a remanufactured engine (Mercedes would be happy to sell you a new one at $8000, Eddy has such a new engine on special now for more than $1000 less than that).If the problem is in the head, there is the possibility of a repair but it would likely be in the $3000 range using new parts. A used engine from a wreck might be an option, and there are long block rebuilt cdi units available in Germany from about 1500 Euros. Air freight would probably be over $700.Sorry to read about this.

Check with Eddy. He has replaced a few engines recently, there just possibly may be a good head around. If it is the head. If it is even an engine problem!I have heard of so many misdiagnoses from dealerships, it seems some just take all the possible causes of the symptoms from some checklist and start with the most expensive one and work down the list.

The rep at the dealer said they didn't have any luck so far locating a used engine. He said total cost for a new engine would be around $10,000. I don't get the idea they spent a heck of a lot of time diagnosing it. I get the impression they did a compression check and said it was toast.They have asked me to bring it in again tomorrow so the service manager can have a look (he wasn't in today), though I'm not really sure what for. I'm not a happy camper tonight... :sad02:

"Driving to" somewhere after your 1988 or newer car ( computer controled engine) starts to sound or feel like it is not running right will only cause more damage. When one cylinder stops firing the unburned fuel collects in the catalytic converter and over heats and melts the insides blocking off the exhaust . Do not drive anywhere, get towed to wherever you are going to get it fixed.

The answer is to disconnect the electrical lead to the cylinder with no compression.

Even getting it flat bedded to Fast Eddy will probably be cheaper than the dealer - and if it is one of the less experienced dealerships - the quality of work will be superior - I kind of doubt the dealer in Kelowna has done many smart engines.Cheers,Cameron

I've exchanged a few e-mails with Eddy, and am just trying to make a decision on what is the best course of action. New engine, used engine, or dispose of the car.

Just an update. I purchased a used engine through Eddy that had about 30,000 km on it, and Eddy installed it over the Christmas/New Years period. Total cost to me was somewhere in the $7,500 neighbourhood, though Eddy did do a few other things for me while he was at it.

Glad you got sorted, Danno. But YIKES! If I were to sell my car, I'd get is less than $7,500 for it. That's definitely a long-term strategy, cousin.Bil :senile:

Youch! Glad it's stll on the road but that's close to used price for a good car, as Bil says.

Yes, I knew it wasn't the rational decision to make, and struggled with it. You shouldn't allow sentiment to influence such financial decisions, but that's what ended up swinging it for me. I had promised the car to my son prior to the problem - it is the vehicle he learned to drive on, and we both really appreciate the environmental benefits of running a small diesel engine. It seemed like such a shame to just toss it away...

I'm looking at the same problem. My 2005 smart has only 93K on it. I guess I'm looking at a 3K repair or the alternative of a engine replacement. I've maintained my car with upmost care since new and this is the thanks. 22K for the car, 2K for the webasto heater and a couple of more K for power windows mods, cruse control etc. etc. I wanted this car to last me for at least 10 years. I'm starting to think my purchase decision in 2005 was not so smart after all. :angry: :angry: :angry: Anyone interested in buying a used 2005 smart passion that needs engine work please PM me with your offer (Located in Edmonton).