Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ted

Check engine light

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a 2005 smart diesel with 68000kms. Yesterday when I started it all appeared fine but the check engine light came on and stayed on solid. A non Star diagnostic tester said that the error code was a engine misfire in clylinder 2.We were able to reset the check engine light. The car continues to operate fine with no apparent problems.Could this be a dummy code? The check engine light has stayed off for 2 days now.Any advise would be appreciated.Thanks,Ted :

Unfortunately injectors are very expensive to replace ($1000?).In the London area I replace with used German ones when that code comes up.From a previous post:''We were wondering why the #2 glow plug gave us so much problems and then remembered that in November Keith had a CEL- P0302- #2 cylinder misfire . An injector cleaner was used, the code was cleared, and didn't return.However we both thought that the misfiring injector could have caused excess coking, resulting in that glow plug getting stuck in the block. Therefore we changed the #2 injector yesterday.Keith said he noticed the engine was now running smoother with more power.''

Be very careful. I had a similar situation - misfire in cylinder 3 was my code. I used some fuel injector cleaner and the check engine light went away for a few days but came back on. After 2 or 3 weeks I took it in to the dealer and there is no compression in the cylinder - they say I need a new engine. My own fault for not taking it in right away, I guess. Expensive lesson.