Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neilt6

Intermittent Fuel Pump

83 posts in this topic

Thanks Dillen. I'll mention this to Glenn before I go there. Maybe he has a seal kit or a used CP1 ready to go. Where is the regulator, on the end of the rail?

Nigel

Not on mine Francesco. It was changed just before I bought it and I changed it again today.

Nigel

P0087 showed up before the filter change? Or after? I had the exact same situation -- stalled under load, hustling up a steep bridge ramp, stalled a couple more times after I turned around to get to a clear place to park, then set the P0087 code. I had changed the filter perhaps two months before, less than 5000 km. when I removed it, it appeared to be full of crud. I put a new one in and the code never returned.

It happened again today about 30km after I changed the filter. The previous owner had the filter changed at the dealer a couple of weeks before I bought the car. I need to drive another one to compare with mine. My gut feeling is my power is good on the first half of the throttle but is a little lacking at full throttle. Tolsen has said something about the CP1 reducing output at low speed. I wonder if mine is like that all the time.

Nigel

The follow up to my issues with the P00087 code from last year.  It appears my problem only happens on warm days 27c or more so we had quite a few this year.  A month or so I had Glenn do a service and he installed his intercooler scoop and also noticed the intercooler fan was not working.  I ordered and installed the Spal fan he uses and my intake air temperature has dropped by at least 25c and have had it quit only once in the last month.  It quit about six times on the way to Glenn's before the repair.  When I get brave I will attempt the seal kit for the high pressure pump.

Nigel

1 person likes this

Sorry just realized I never posted the resolution to my problem.  New seals in the high pressure pump worked for me.  Thanks dmoonen you were right on.

Nigel

I have had some problems starting in the winter and put it down to glow plug issue when temp was below zero c.  Last month the car refused to start after a drive. Went for a walk came back and when turned key the engine cranked over, started for 2 to 3 seconds and stalled. Reset key, cranked again with no start. After changing the fuel filter, ignition on there was no sound of the low pressure fuel pump. Read everything on here to figure out what it might be. Lowered the fuel tank removed the pump, bench test, works fine back into car (what a pain in the back) hardest part was fuel line removal. Next checked SAM connections and all are pristine. Test light time. Ground test light checked the wires out for power ignition key both off and on. The fuel pump wire is coloured red with black strip. Key on no power but the red wire beside it has power only with key on. I hate wiring relays so I got a fuse line (7.5amp fuse) from the battery to a switch mounted on the bottom of the cluster, then to the pump wire coming out of the SAM. Now turn on the switch fuel pump runs. Car starts fine. Turn switch off car stalls after couple seconds. Also works as theft stopper. 😬

2 people like this