Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jwight

April Fools III International - 2 April 2011

74 posts in this topic

The Berlin weather forecast looks like shorts and t-shirt weather B) . I will likely throw on the summer tires for the trip down.

Who will be leading the convoy? It won't be me since this will be my first crossing at Sarnia. Are we going on toll roads or not? (if so, I need to bring some coin)Ron

I think the Can/US crossing will be the only toll. John or I can lead the way down, I think we both have GPS.

The port huron border is the only toll, Iam not sure but it should be 3 to 5 dollars. If Huronlad brings his radios we should be good to go. Adelaide J

Anyone have an estimated arrival time at the motel in Wooster yet? :)

Edited by jwight

Anyone have an estimated arrival time at the motel in Wooster yet? :)

Hi JohnWe are meeting at 9am at timmys so I would estimate mid afternoon 3 to 4 pmJohn Edited by adelaide J

From the weather guessers...

Depending on which forecast you choose, the weather for April 2nd looks like mid to upper 40s with some chance of precipitation. Typical for Ohio this time of year so no big deal. It will feel like summer to you guys! :D

Update: Warmer weather on the way. Forecast now calling for a high of 55 F on Friday, 52 F on Saturday, with the possibility of a shower or two.

Edited by jwight

Hi Gang, Sorry to say that due to some unforeseen circumstances, (sister broke her arm which delayed her trip with my mother for 2 weeks & now that they are gone, we have to stay home, take car of the dogs, man the fort but this is way more information than you wanted) we will be unable to make the trek to Ohio. (And I was so looking forward to it) Please raise a local ale for us & sample at least one of everything on the buffet table. Hope the weather is fine & everyone has a safe trip!Cheers 42pilot & copilot

Hi Gang, Sorry to say that due to some unforeseen circumstances, (sister broke her arm which delayed her trip with my mother for 2 weeks & now that they are gone, we have to stay home, take car of the dogs, man the fort but this is way more information than you wanted) we will be unable to make the trek to Ohio. (And I was so looking forward to it) Please raise a local ale for us & sample at least one of everything on the buffet table. Hope the weather is fine & everyone has a safe trip!Cheers 42pilot & copilot

That's too bad; I know the guys coming aren't beer drinkers :lol: but we'll find something to toast you with. Hope to catch up with you later on. :)

I'll drink to that ... (2-litre Pepsi, of course) ;)Sorry to hear that you can't make it, but understandable.Ron :bike:

Weather update - Saturday looks like mid to upper 40s (F) with rain "likely." Diesel is $3.95 to $3.99/ US gallon in Wooster today. Dress warm, bring your umbrellas and I'll see you tomorrow in Wooster! :)

Well, 1,062 kms later, I made it home after a great 2-days of chugging down the road (one to get there), a wonderful overnight stay in a motel with a whirlpool and swimming pool :D and a saturday full of fantastic food and fellowship, plus the tour of the Amish countryside.The weather man didn't co-operate much though. It rained overnight from friday evening to saturday morning and even though it stopped in time for the saturday festivities, it was mostly overcast with sunny breaks with a bitterly cold wind. That didn't dampen the enthusiasm of the participants though. It appeared that everyone had a good time. My thanks to John (jwight) for being instrumental in making this an international event and all the other work done by him and his helping crew for making this an event to remember. It was much appreciated. Bravo !!Some of the people there were wondering about the fuel mileage of the diesel. I used 32.176 litres of fuel for the round trip. (That is 8.5 US gallons and 1,062 kms is about 660 miles if my conversions are correct) The exceptional fuel mileage can be attributed to our leisurely pace on the way to the event and using the highest gear possible so I could coast or free-wheel every time there was a down-hill of any kind.Ron :bike:

post-7529-1301802585_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leadwing

Elaine and I would also thank the Ohio Smart Group for a great outing,especially John(jwight) and Getsmart for all there work in organizing this event. The food at the Farmstead was fantastic. It was nice to see familiar faces from the nationals and also meet some new folk. The weather held out till we were on the drive home but arrived safe at 1030pmAdelaideJP.S. See you all at the Dells

Just want to say how much I enjoyed seeing you all and really appreciate all of you making the (long) drive from Ontario. As Ron mentioned the weather could have been better but when I saw him and William in T-shirts I figured it can't be too bad. :D At least John and Elaine dressed for the weather!

Please keep us (SCoA and smartusainsider.com) in the loop on possible events for August - another Plunkett show and maybe the Hamilton drive again. Would like to get more cars from the US involved this time around.

Great meeting up again; will see some of you in Wisconsin in June and thanks for the coffee William! :speak_cool:

Update: photos are on www.smartusainsider.com and http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f9...html#post426337

Edited by jwight

Hi John,Sorry that Dawn and I could not make this one!We were thinking of you all though!Awesome mileage there Leadwing!James

Edited by ETHICAL BEEF

Thank you John and Arrita for setting this up for us. I really enjoyed seeing how some of my relations still live to this very day. I didn't do quite as well as Ron but still pulled a 3.5 for my trip. Glad I left the snow tires on when I got north of Detroit yesterday afternoon.

Edited by Huronlad

Glad everyone got home safe and sound. Those mpg numbers are killing me (although I did get 41.7 mpg (US) for the whole trip, with less than 500 miles on the car.)

Elaine and I would also thank the Ohio Smart Group for a great outing,especially John(jwight) and Getsmart for all there work in organizing this event. The food at the Farmstead was fantastic. It was nice to see familiar faces from the nationals and also meet some new folk. The weather held out till we were on the drive home but arrived safe at 1030pmAdelaideJP.S. See you all at the Dells

John, did you figure out your FE from the drive?