Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PrairieBoy

How many Club smart car members would purchase an electric smart?

Would you consider purchasing/leasing an electric drive smart car   74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider purchasing/leasing an electric drive smart car

• Yes I would
    • No I would not

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 posts in this topic

This new poll is about what percentage of Club smart car members,would consider purchasing/leasing an electric smart,when they are available for purchase . "From 2012 the smart Fortwo electric drive is then expected to be available to everyone." (thesmart.ca)I'm more interested as to the 'ACTUAL NUMBER OF MEMBERS' who are, or would consider purchasing/leasing an electric drive smart car.out of how many club members.An administrator would be able to tell us the usual number of club members there are at the time of this poll,and then figure out the real numbers of interested buyers/leasers.(Any help from any experienced administrator would be appreciated!)I'm also interested in comparing the interest in this car,to the interest in the Nissan Leaf.In the U.S.A. as of today's date,over 20,000 people have put down a $99.00 deposit on a new Nissan Leaf.This could be an interesting topic! (Smart Canada may also be interested in these results!)

Edited by Mike T

Your poll doesn't seem to have a poll. Let me know what to insert as options if you are having problems.I would not buy or lease any electric car in the foreseeable future, least of all a smart, which unlike the Volt, has an atrocious range.

I just modified it for him - unless it was like a double secret poll or something LOL - I added a few maybe's - personnally the cost of it seems a bit extreme if you base it on the cost of the lease in Europe (and you can't buy it out!).Oh and on the active members - 848 people posted the last year - which is probably more representative than the actual count of members.Cheers,Cameron

Edit: (I suggested one of the online embedable polls) Never mind, there it is!I do think a few different "no" options would help to clarify the problems ,real or perceived. Mine is range, pure and simple. 2-300 Km days are common, sometimes more.

Edited by Alex

Too late - you are just not Speedie enough.... :lol::lol::lol: Cheers,Cameron

Tough question without knowing the price. At 20,000, yah probably. But the rumours are around 40,000 grand. We are in California right now and had a chance to see the volt up close and personal. They have 3 more coming in and two of them are sold. The third is available. They are all around the 40,000 to 42,000 area before incentives. This is a VERY NICE AUTOMOBILE. Honestly the smart is no where in the same league. Other than wanting the size of the smart there would be very little reason to purchase a 40,000 dollar electric smart. I.m not a GM fan and doubt I would buy a volt but I can see the attraction. When the next one comes in we'll get some pictures and post them but I think Mercedes is in for an awakening in the North American market in this one.

In the U.S.A. as of today's date,over 20,000 people have put down a $99.00 deposit on a new Nissan Leaf.

To quote Yogy "Deja Vu all over again". At least we know that the Roger Penske marketing team is alive and well. The smart failure hasn't been a total loss.

Although the two 'maybe' items in the poll could be left in,if we just used the two 'yes' or 'no' questions it may be a more accurate poll. I wanted to know if members would 'consider' purchasing/leasing an electric smart. Not maybe or if.The word 'consider' in the question, includes the 'maybes' or 'ifs' anyway.Yes or No please.The 20,000 or so Nissan Leaf buyers put down actual $99.00 deposits,not 'maybe' or 'if'.They probably didn't even know the actual price at the time either.Administrator: Please remove the two 'maybe' questions,then we should restart the poll please.Thanks.

Edited by PrairieBoy

"No" for many reasons:The most obvious one is that I just bought a non-electric smart and I don't need two cars. :) I don't have access to the infrastructure needed to support an electric car; no where to charge one up here at home or where I park downtown. While it may have enough range for my daily commute (apx. 45 km), I don't think it would for my infrequent trips out of the city. The electric version is much more expensive than one with a gas or diesel engine, and I do like engines, I like shifting gears and hearing the engine when I push the go pedal. :)While I like the idea of reducing emissions and getting away from burning oil, I don't think I'll buy any electric car any sooner than, oh, ten or more years from now. I would be more interested in the MHD smart.. well.. if I hadn't just bought one that is.

Yes or No please.Administrator: Please remove the two 'maybe' questions,then we should restart the poll please.Thanks.

Done. The yes and no answers to date remain.

I doubt the poll will really tell much reliably... but let's see in a few weeks....

The numbers speak for themselves as far as reliability goes. At the moment I read the the results are Yes 6 No 12 out of a total of 25 votes cast. Time to scrap it and start over again??

At the moment I read the the results are Yes 6 No 12 out of a total of 25 votes cast.

Time to scrap it and start over again??

Do the math. 6 + 12 = 18, not 25.

The total includes those who voted in the "maybe" or "if" segments. Those people are prohibited from voting again in the altered poll. A message shows when this topic is opened telling the reader "You have already voted in this poll".

I agree that it is "Time to scrap it and start over again" if you want a more accurate poll.

Edited by Leadwing

I doubt I would buy one, if allowed I wouldn't mind testing it for a few days, but I love my diesel smart too much.Brit and Marty Car :D

I voted no, not because I have issue with the electric Smart but because I'll be refraining from buyingany electric car until the technology is proven and refined.

I voted yes. although I could not afford right now. I just hope the price becomes reasonable by (say) 2014...

I voted no. Don't get me wrong, I want an electric car badly. Always have. I like the mechanical simplicity, and the acceleration. But the range of the proposed electric smart, and the 100km/h limit make it impractical for me.

Rent first to see if it will work for you. By Drew Johnson www.leftlanenews.comFor those people that love renting cars and saving the environment, Hertz has the perfect solution. The rental company announced this week that it has inked a deal to offer electric versions of Smart’s ForTwo.The Electric Smart ForTwos will be offered through Hertz’ Connect by Hertz car sharing program. The EVs will be available for rent in New York, Washington DC and San Francisco, beginning December 15.“Hertz’s partnership with smart USA is another strategic element of our long term plan to provide consumers with electric vehicle access on a global scale,” said Mark P. Frissora, Hertz Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “With its worldwide recognition, smart was a logical choice for our program and we’re excited to begin offering the smart electric drive to our customers later this month.” Hertz has yet to announce rental pricing for the Smart EV, but the company says it will eventually roll out its electric vehicle rental program nationwide.

Since I have the diesel (2006 special edition), I will by-pass the new gas cars and wait for the electric one to come. I read that 200 people in Toronto get to try them iin 2011 as a control group. Hopefully they will iron out all the 'glitches' that come with a new product. I don't mind lack of power surge(or whatever you call it ;) ) as my Smart is used simply as a 'run-about' in a big overcrowded city with old, small roads.Personally I can't wait.....until 2012....

What special edition do you have? BRABUS nightrun? BRABUS Canada 1?

The electric smarts have one BIG advantage,compared to ALL the other smarts.And that is only one s..m..o..o..t..h transmision! Only one gear and no jerky shifting.

Mike T--...sorry I meant limited edition not special edition....it was the GrandStyle....forest green and silver...I think only 200 were sold in Canada in 2006?

Prairie Boy- that is a plus...the smooth transition....look forward to that....

My husband says the only glitch for all these electric cars, is we might not have enough electricity to power all of them....that could be a bit of a "Whoops!"

Ah the grandstyle, yes, 200 were made for Canada. Nice cars!

Only 31 members out of about 4,353 members have voted!Come on peaple ,get in YOUR vote!Moderator(s),Administrators: Can we have this 'Pole' moved to a more prominant place,so that ALL members will be more inclined to vote,please?