jzuk

Block Heater Plug Replacement

50 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

your post reformatted the links

I know I did that and what I did then made the photos visible. Last fall Photobucket turned greedy and no longer allowed third party web hosting unless I forked out £300 per annum. End result was all my photos and billions of others disappeared  screwing up billions of good informative threads. 

Now testing one of his photobucket url links to see if they work.

DSC00341.jpg

Image shows so I can only conclude original poster has paid the extortionate annual fee.

1 person likes this

My new inlet socket has something written on it in Chinese:

充电口正厂部件

Chōngdiàn kǒu zhèng chǎng bùjiàn

Google translate tells me this means 

“Charge port is the factory components” which makes little or no sense to me. Perhaps someone that can read Chinese can offer enlightenment?

6A0B4D65-109D-41ED-98F8-607377BE2C15.jpeg

i have found the ideal position for the inlet socket.  No need to crawl in slush and snow on all fours like an animal.  Can now make up the connection civilized standing up. 

732D4014-453F-4600-8349-84FBA5AE54BF.jpeg

1 person likes this

It's more likely the act of quoting it, at the time, internalized the pictures on clubsmartcar space, not directly from photobucket

If I click on the first picture link in the original post, it opens the picture.... but I cannot use that same URL when I go to 'insert other media'... it refuses to use it.

And there's no need, as you can upload media to csc directly.... as Tolsen ended up finding out. (And was given ability to edit any of his posts to correct this issue if desired)

Of course, if photobucket is refusing links, there's not much we can do about that in any event....

its probably because it seems weird to us who are used to having an external front socket instead of one inside the car

Block heater sockets always used to be at front of cars solely because that’s where engine is located. Our Smart has engine at the rear so makes more sense also to fit socket at rear and at a proper height for comfortable access and protected from the elements. 

12 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

The plug was originally for a battery heater, battery is in the front.

Defa does not make battery heaters. 

when i drive away and forget that its plugged in id much rather damage the front plug instead of busting out my back window :ph34r:

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

when i drive away and forget that its plugged in id much rather damage the front plug instead of busting out my back window :ph34r:

Clever planning and you won’t suffer such annoying accidents. I simply drape extension lead over driver side wing mirror and along door and loosely tied on to door handle so I get positively reminded to disconnect this cable in the morning. 

9_BA2_F521-782_B-45_AA-811_E-00_E51_E359

No way I can possibly drive off with cable attached with this set up.  Note this one is a left hand drive just yours.

Wintry weather is forecast for the UK for rest of this week possibly lasting into next.  I sense panic is setting in.  Some trains and planes already cancelled and we are being advised only to drive if absolutely necessary.  Schools are closed or opening later than normal.  Does not bother me as I am fully prepared.  Got snow shoes, Nato skis, blankets, snow shovel, snow chains, primus stove and plenty of whisky.

Metogram for Banchory:

metogram_Banchory27_Feb18.png

There is hardly any precipitation forecast so no worries here.  Also rather mild compared to Canada.

".............. rather mild compared to Canada. "

Today's forecast for the London, Ontario, Canada area is for clear skies and a high of +12C (54F)

29 minutes ago, lebikerboy said:

Why not just park in the garage?

Can't because it is full of all sorts but might clean it out one fine day.

wrapping cord around the mirror is exactly what most do...but then that one time you forget to go around the mirror and the inevitable happens

Regardless what precaution we implement, it is just a matter of time before we screw up.  Perhaps fit a warning light on the dash to indicate whenever there is power to the block heater or simply move inlet socket to a position where it is in front of your eyes when seated?

I have an unexplainable black 110v cord with a female end protruding from the area under the battery inside the car. would this be the elusive interior connection for the block heater?

11 hours ago, Gibby said:

I have an unexplainable black 110v cord with a female end protruding from the area under the battery inside the car. would this be the elusive interior connection for the block heater?

That is directly connected to the plug-in at the front of the car (see photo), and provides 110V power to the cabin area so that a battery warmer or cabin heater can be installed without running an extra wire under the door seals or through a window.  Personally, I have the cabin heater installed since the battery is already inside the cabin under the carpeting.

Smart Plug.jpg

Smart Heater.jpg

1 person likes this