Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KKSMART05

Airbag Light

7 posts in this topic

I realize that the airbag indicator light signals you that there is a fault in either the Airbags or the belt tensioners. I also am aware that the Fault recommends you take the car to an authorized smart dealership without delay. I have had issues with the retraction of the set belt ( passenger & driver ) for some time. I just want to know if anyone has had an opportunity to work on the belt tensioner themselves and if so recommend a process I could do prior to resoting to going to the dealer do not pass go and pay.ThanksKen

post-9304-1296069780_thumb.jpg

Maybe your seat belt 'pre-tensioners' have gone off.Was your car in any sort of collision? If the seat belts have been giving you trouble,that may be a cause.Either way,your car NEEDS to go to a Mercedes-Benz dealer to be checked A.S.A.P.,as this is a safety issue. Maybe they will fix it free of charge.

As a safety issue, I'd think it would be covered. I had a problem with one and my PDX dealer didn't blink and replaced it.Timo

Don't mess with the seat belt mechanisms, they will explode in your face. If the seat belts don't retract too well, ask for replacement under warranty. I had one changed for that reason. The strength with which they retract when unbuckled has nothing to do with the state of the pyrotechnic device that removes slack. So a weak return spring will not set off an SRS fault.

I removed your duplicate post from the How-To forum. Please don't post the same thing in multiple places.

Mike T. Thanks for removing the post. I mistakenly placed it in the wrong area. The little puppy has been out of warranty and sitting at 143,000km I did go to the MB today and they could not handle me till Friday. The diagnostic to verify what needs attention would be one hour labour. $100.00Safety was not in their vocabulary. Wait till Friday ... Till then (time for some detailing work). I will bring up the safety factor when I go in. There is more involved then what I am used to.

There was a service bulletin on the seat tensioners - our passenger side one was replaced under warranty at about 40k. If the car was serviced at the dealership then they should have inspected and replaced it.The seat tensioners are an active device (i.e. they have a thing that goes boom in them) so really you can't do much with them (unless you want to be on the cast of Jackass) and they have the potential to be very dangerous if you monkey with them.Cheers,Cameron