Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ghost

Car won't lock.....

9 posts in this topic

And one more problem.....Yesterday I came home, wanted to lock my car in the driveway - it opened again. Tried it a few times - no success. Then I opened and closes both doors, the back and the fuel-cap - tried it again - didn't work. Well I left it open for the night (I have a dog and a shotgun), this morning I took it in town and it locked no problem many times, all morning. Later today same problem then yesterday.....Is it a sensor? Can all the dirt and snow on the car cause that? What can I do? Please son't tell me rthat Mercedes has to fix that, they get my last cash for the fuel-filter tomorrow.....Ghost

Edited by Ghost

It's probably water in the door innards that is freezing and interfering with the locks. It could also be that your door mechanisms need lubrication, so get the dealer to spray some Würth 2000 into the mechanism tomorrow (that should be free).

When you try to lock it does it make a mechanical noise in the doors, sorta a double noise as if it is locking and immediately unlocking? If so one of the latches is not sending the "locked" signal back to the computer. Connection, switch or actual latch failure. Mercedes won't do a thing except replace the entire assembly, but they are not too difficult to clean up yourself. I think evilution covers it well, have a look. Probably the drivers door as that gets the most use.Edit: Or a wet mechanism freezing as Mike says. Quite likely.

Edited by Alex

Well we are stumped on this one!Took my 2005 pure to Uncle Glenn's shop in London today.Glenn changed the inter cooler fan assembly for me : )Have an issue with the drivers door (actually all the doors) not locking on occasion.We took the drivers door skin off and hooked up three other different door lock mechanisms to the wire assembly and none of them would "lock up" using the key fob?Cleaned the original one and it started to work now it won't lock again, along with the interior light staying on.Any one run into this problem before or have any suggestions? It cannot be as simple as the driver's door solenoid?Thanks!James E.B.

Edited by ETHICAL BEEF

Check the wire in the hinge area for damage/being flexed too much - there is a lame little plastic cover over it and not much more. The switch for the lights (IIRC) is also in the door latch mechanism so if the wire is hooped that might be the issue. You can try hooking up a voltmeter to the connector and try locking - if you get low or no voltage start tracing the harness back to the plug under the fender. Here is a picture that might helppost-375-1313039483_thumb.jpgCheers,Cameron

Sorry to be a party pooper but why are you all assuming door lock?We have had far more trouble with fuel flap and boot locks than we have with door lock (ok so we don't have the snow and sht weather you guys have for so long) so my first try would be those 2......

Well we are stumped on this one!Took my 2005 pure to Uncle Glenn's shop in London today.Glenn changed the inter cooler fan assembly for me : )Have an issue with the drivers door (actually all the doors) not locking on occasion.We took the drivers door skin off and hooked up three other different door lock mechanisms to the wire assembly and none of them would "lock up" using the key fob?Cleaned the original one and it started to work now it won't lock again, along with the interior light staying on.Any one run into this problem before or have any suggestions? It cannot be as simple as the driver's door solenoid?Thanks!James E.B.

Has anyone checked the battery well for a white plastic wiring harness(plug)?If it's corroded it can cause these problems, I cut mine out & cured the problem.The other (more expensive) problem may be the relay in the SAM unit switching the power to the doorlock.They aren't replaceable....the whole unit has to be replaced to get locking doors again. Edited by strawboss