Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
derekbrochu

Big Rigs VS Smart Cars

34 posts in this topic

Hello every Smart Driver...As we all know, Smart Cars are fun to drive, Safe and great on fuel.However, Me and my Wife took a trip up to Ottawa this past weekend Feb.11-Feb.14th.We took the trip in our Smart to see how the long drive would be and of course to save on fuel costs. As it turns out we saved huge. Last year we spent just over $175 on fuel. this year we spen $85. But this is off topic...So we left London On. at 5pm and headed to our Capital... It was great we enjoyed the trip up and when we got to Toronto it started to get dark and traffic started to slow, so we took the 407. we passed through Toronto with speed (95KM/Hr) and was out on the other side by 7:30pm.Now that it was Dark out I tend to drive with more space between me and the automobile in front no matter what it is...As the drive continued my Wife and I noticed that Big Rigs, or Transports or Tractor Trailers (what ever you want to call them) Started to Flash there Spot light (Or Dock Light) on/at us while we passed them. the Dock light which is a hug spot light that faces backwards to help them see while they back up into a dock at night located at the front of the rig above the doors on both sides of the rig. Anyways, I Noticed that they were turning it on and leaving it on... It is very blinding. After making the pass I found some trucks moving in behind me and then turning on high beams. This Scaring both my wife and I... I figured it was just one Driver and that would be the end of it...So I though I might have been in the wrong so I did everything I could to be safer the next time i passed a truck... I looked at my speed (110 km/Hr) and that is where I stayed. I was in the right hand lane as I am one of the slowest cars out there... and when I came close to a transport truck I did everything I could to change lanes when I was 1.5 tractor trailers away from them to start my pass. As it turns out... My ride to Ottawa and the Return trip home became worse and more stressful as I had more truck blind me from infront and behind and on the side ever before....I mean Trucks would speed up to get in fron of my to slow down and then blind me with their lights... this is a scary thing...Now if I find this happends again and my wife is in the Smart with me, We will take down the Trucks #'s and Company name and phone them when we get home or on the cell while on the HWY.But does anyone know what I could be doing wrong here? This isn't a one sided story, I would really like to know what to do to prevent this from ever happening again... as It is to stressfull on the HWY and makes for a long trip even longer... I want to enjoy the Smart car on any road... Not just back road. The HWY is for everyone not just Big Rigs at night...thank you for any input and or Safe tips or reason why...A side note We did pull over to check all lights and High beams... that was not the problem.

Did you have luggage in the back - more weight than you normally carry? I suspect the truckers were letting you know they were getting glare in their rear-view; blinding you back for doing it to them. Are you familiar with the headlight aiming dial that lets you tip the beams down? It is beneath the turn signal stalk. That's what it's for.Bil :sun:

The transport drivers obviously thought you were running down the road with your high beams on, my guess would be your lights need to be adjusted.If you have a driver in the future turning on the dock light while going down the road or otherwise driving aggressively make sure you report them to the police.Unfortunately the quality of transport drivers keeps decreasing every year.

Truckers take great offence to someone that drives behind them with their high beams on or, passes with thier high beams on. The actions you noted seem to be how they normally react to such a situation. You said you checked your high beams, and I am not sure what that means ,but if you had them on while you were driving behind a semi and you were within a range that caused them to reflect brightly on the semi's side mirrors then that is what can "set them off" and start doing the ingorant things you have indicated. They initially flash their lights as a warning (I have had this done to me even when i have my low beams on and usually a quick flash of my own high beams back at them lets them know that you don't have your high beams on).Sometimes it can be a result of how your lights are aimed (i.e. even the low beams appear to be high beams).That is what I would suspect. Clearly it is courtesy, and safety, considerations to make sure that you are not following too close or passing with your high beams on and/or have you lights aimed properly.Having said that, it makes me laugh when semi drivers get all upset over things like this (and react by purposesly trying to blind drviers they feel have done them wrong). I am guessing that for some of them getting passed by a Smart just infuriates them more. Most semi drivers are the worst offenders when it comes to putting others at risk on the roads (tail gating; speeding; blinding drivers with snow/rain by passing; blinding lights etc) so it is a bit ironic how upset they get.

Did you have luggage in the back - more weight than you normally carry? I suspect the truckers were letting you know they were getting glare in their rear-view; blinding you back for doing it to them. Are you familiar with the headlight aiming dial that lets you tip the beams down? It is beneath the turn signal stalk. That's what it's for.Bil :sun:

The transport drivers obviously thought you were running down the road with your high beams on, my guess would be your lights need to be adjusted.If you have a driver in the future turning on the dock light while going down the road or otherwise driving aggressively make sure you report them to the police.Unfortunately the quality of transport drivers keeps decreasing every year.

To Bill: Yes I did that... I had it on all numbers... 1, 2&3 as the drive went on no help there...To Huronlad: I thought of this too! After I had Glenn work on my car I had MB tune up my head lights as I thought they were not that bright... and they said they needed a little adjusting... so I did.So maybe they seem like they are on??? Because two times durning my drive home... I did Flask my High Beams on and off again... however that didn't seem to tell them or show them that my lights were on low beam... and I just have the normal Head lamps... not the Bright whites or blue lights.. just normal warm yellow-ish head lamps.And if they would just flash me I would get the message as well... but they where leaving the lights on!

Truckers take great offence to someone that drives behind them with their high beams on or, passes with thier high beams on. The actions you noted seem to be how they normally react to such a situation. You said you checked your high beams, and I am not sure what that means ,but if you had them on while you were driving behind a semi and you were within a range that caused them to reflect brightly on the semi's side mirrors then that is what can "set them off" and start doing the ingorant things you have indicated. They initially flash their lights as a warning (I have had this done to me even when i have my low beams on and usually a quick flash of my own high beams back at them lets them know that you don't have your high beams on).Sometimes it can be a result of how your lights are aimed (i.e. even the low beams appear to be high beams).That is what I would suspect. Clearly it is courtesy, and safety, considerations to make sure that you are not following too close or passing with your high beams on and/or have you lights aimed properly.Having said that, it makes me laugh when semi drivers get all upset over things like this (and react by purposesly trying to blind drviers they feel have done them wrong). I am guessing that for some of them getting passed by a Smart just infuriates them more. Most semi drivers are the worst offenders when it comes to putting others at risk on the roads (tail gating; speeding; blinding drivers with snow/rain by passing; blinding lights etc) so it is a bit ironic how upset they get.

Yes I agree with you on this note as well!And trust me, when I siad I did some times a little quick flash of my high beams to show them that my lows where on and it didn't matter.it seem to piss them off even more...No joke one truck drive followed me into the thrid lane to Flash his High beams at me from behind.... and he left them on as I switched lanes back to the second he followed and again to the first lane.... High beams on the whole time. Edited by derekbrochu

No joke on truck drive followed me into the thrid lane to Flash his High beams at me from behind....

This transport driver has no business being in the hammer lane or driving in a threatening manner. If they were traveling at more than 105kph they were from out of Province(likely Quebec :unsure: ).

Yeah I thought they all had goveners on them... well I only go 100-110 anyways so he was right there .... the whole time.It is a high stress drive and a scary one for the Wife...

Most semi drivers are the worst offenders when it comes to putting others at risk on the roads (tail gating; speeding; blinding drivers with snow/rain by passing; blinding lights etc) so it is a bit ironic how upset they get.

I drive professionally and the above quote is entirely wrong. I am on the road 5 days a week and see all kinds of morons. Truck drivers are no exception, but they do not have the exclusive right of being an idiot. I have done a study from personal observations and bottom line is the absolute worst are people driving full sized pick up trucks. It simply doesn't matter what you drive, you can still be an idiot.

When I am cruising down the highway in my smart, I have absolutley no trouble with the big rigs. SUV and full sized pick ups are another story.

Since the big trucks are really not supposed to be in the left lane (of a 3 lane highway) they can get a little impatient when dealing with someone who is holding up the middle lane. A lot of drivers (4 wheelers) never look in their rear view mirror. Common courtesy would tell them to move over, but since they don't see the big truck coming, they just toodle on their way, getting in everyone's way. Blowing the horn on a big truck would certainly get the car drivers attention, but since the car drivers are totally oblivious to their surroundings, it would most likely scare the crap out of them.

As for the speeding, as Huronlad mentioned, Ontario trucks are limited to 105 kph.

blinding drivers with snow/rain by passing

So what you are saying is that no matter how slow you are going, a truck driver should not pass you????? If you are one of those 'dragging your butt' kinda drivers, a truck is going to pass you. In doing so, the nature of the beast (truck with trailer) is going to produce spray. Even cars and mini vans produce spray, it can't be helped. If you don't like driving in the spray, slow down and let the truck get further ahead of you.

While I'm thinking of it, someone following me for long periods of time with their bright lights shining in my mirrors, I get a little ticked off too. The mirrors (both of them) are flat and have no tinting on them to dim the intensity of the lights of the car behind, so I get the full intensity of their lights in my face for as long as they are behind me. It's not as bad if the person with the bright lights go scooting past and are gone in a matter of seconds, but when they hang on to the back of the truck, there is no need to have the bright lights on in the first place.

I drive professionally and the above quote is entirely wrong. I am on the road 5 days a week and see all kinds of morons. Truck drivers are no exception, but they do not have the exclusive right of being an idiot. I have done a study from personal observations and bottom line is the absolute worst are people driving full sized pick up trucks. It simply doesn't matter what you drive, you can still be an idiot.

When I am cruising down the highway in my smart, I have absolutley no trouble with the big rigs. SUV and full sized pick ups are another story.

Since the big trucks are really not supposed to be in the left lane (of a 3 lane highway) they can get a little impatient when dealing with someone who is holding up the middle lane. A lot of drivers (4 wheelers) never look in their rear view mirror. Common courtesy would tell them to move over, but since they don't see the big truck coming, they just toodle on their way, getting in everyone's way. Blowing the horn on a big truck would certainly get the car drivers attention, but since the car drivers are totally oblivious to their surroundings, it would most likely scare the crap out of them.

As for the speeding, as Huronlad mentioned, Ontario trucks are limited to 105 kph.

So what you are saying is that no matter how slow you are going, a truck driver should not pass you????? If you are one of those 'dragging your butt' kinda drivers, a truck is going to pass you. In doing so, the nature of the beast (truck with trailer) is going to produce spray. Even cars and mini vans produce spray, it can't be helped. If you don't like driving in the spray, slow down and let the truck get further ahead of you.

While I'm thinking of it, someone following me for long periods of time with their bright lights shining in my mirrors, I get a little ticked off too. The mirrors (both of them) are flat and have no tinting on them to dim the intensity of the lights of the car behind, so I get the full intensity of their lights in my face for as long as they are behind me. It's not as bad if the person with the bright lights go scooting past and are gone in a matter of seconds, but when they hang on to the back of the truck, there is no need to have the bright lights on in the first place.

OK I am not sure if this it posted to me or not...

But like I siad my High beams where not on... I flicked them a few time to see if they thought my lights where on high but they didn't seem to car...

Also I didn't follow trucks I just drove in the right hand lane till I was 1.5 trailers away... (Is that too close cos next time I will move over sooner)

Another point I always look into my mirrors... almost on a 30 second routine.

Lastly, I am mostly worried that this happend with about 90% of Big Rigs on the road both to and from Ottawa after dark. (I turn my lights on durning the day as well) and I really do feel that it's more then just my lights...

Plus has anyone seen the size of a SMART CAR it's not that wide and behind a big rig it doesn't/should hit their mirrors from behind!

And Lastly... all these truck did more then a short burst of light... it was high beams on and/or Dock light on the whole time they could while they where around me...

And like I said (thank good My WIfe was a sleep at this point) I had One truck in fron one on the side with their dock lights on and one truck behind me with his high beams on... Good thing there was a turn off where I pulled off and got back on after 5 min. break...

I tell you It was a stressfull drive.

Derek, your lights are the problem.Regarding spray from big trucks, having European style mudguards over all wheel trains would attenuate it a lot more than the open wheels and loose flaps that are common here. Don't get me started on the lack of side bumpers (at car height) on trailer units. Transport Canada should be ashamed. smart 450 turn signals were 2 mm too close to the low beams but a semi-trailer can decapitate a car that hits it from the side? LOLI find most truck drivers are excellent, better than the average 4 wheeler driver.

To LeadwingIf someone is going too sloww for the conditions then they deserve what they get in terms of getting passed. My comment is that Semi drivers appear to think they own the road and even when someone is driving at the right speed many semis, who speed, pass without considering how they may be affecting the driver they pass and whether they blind them with snow or rain.Some semi drivers are fine but a lot seem to think the roads are for them and them only; it's hilarious though that all of them get ticked off when they deem someone else to be driving uncourtiously or dangerously. I never said semi drivers have the exclusive right to be labelled as morons; anyone who puts others in danger by their lousy, self centered driving habits is a moron (I could care less if a semi driver kills himself by driving like an idiot; unforutnatety in the accidents they cause they almost always walk away uninjured while their victims pay the price). Any semi driver that intentionally goes after a Smart car is a bigger idiot than most.In addition to my smart I also drive a full sized pick up and your comment that these are the worst offenders is "entirely wrong".

When was the last time a transport driver did this? Likely never.

The class G license in Ontario is far too easy to obtain. Unfortunately the same trend is happening for the A class as well.

After I had Glenn work on my car I had MB tune up my head lights as I thought they were not that bright... and they said they needed a little adjusting... so I did.

It's your lights, Derek. Have them properly adjusted at MB or by Glenn.

B :senile:

Here is my experience. I drive straight trucks. I find that the trucks sit so high that peoples lights and even highbeams do not bother me. It is the opposite when I am in my smart and I get infront of a semi truck, even a pickup I am sitting so low that the low beams seem really bright. It's much worse with HIDS. I think that because we are a low vehicle and our mirrors are just about as high as a semi's head lights that it seems like we are getting flashed. It is more realistic than that almost every trucker you get in front is flashing you. I want to make one more point. All of my fellow truckers here will know this. It is common courtesy when another truck is passing your truck at night to flash your highbeams to let the passing truck know they are clear and that it is safe to pass. The passing truck then gets in his lane and turns on then off the running lights or 4 ways as a thank you. The trucks may be offering you this courtesy but you are not offering back a proper thanks. (Espeacially if you are passing really slow and they feel the need to offer you the "it's okay to pass" flash.)Although I am not sure why you should be, as it is a trucking courtesy generally.I flash trucks all the time in my car out of habit and they move into their lane but I rarely get a thank you in return. Or I will be in a truck and do it for a passenger vehicle and they just have no idea what I did for them.

Edited by FinallyGotOne

In addition to my smart I also drive a full sized pick up and your comment that these are the worst offenders is "entirely wrong".

As with all things mentioned by everyone in this tread, the comments are generalizations. You may be a very courteous driver, even in your pick up, but again (and I generalize) the worst driving habits that I have observed are by the drivers of full sized pick ups and SUV's.

No Derek, my post was not directed at you.

The whole point is that no matter what you drive, everyone should show a little courtesy to fellow road users.

Here is my beef with boys in their pick ups. Some of them think because they are a truck or have four wheel drive that they can speed in bad conditions. The fact is that the four wheel drive won't help you stop in an emergency. Big trucks and SUVs also have a high center of gravity and are generally rear wheel drive so it freaks me out when I see them racing or swerving to pass. A tall truck will roll easier than a low car. Pickup's are great don't get me wrong. I have one. "Its got big wheels and it can drive over big rocks" but is not invicible. It's not safer than another vehicle to race on the highway. (It can roll easier) And just becaaue you have four wheel drive does not mean you can do 120 in a snow storm. It seems like a misconception that these vehicle owners have. In respect to semi's, I feel that their driving is acceptable. They are monitored vary closely by the MTO and their company. They are a driving bill board. There's always the bad apples though.

I agree that much of what is said here are generalizations. Anyone can drive like a moron, even "professional" drivers. Whether I am driving my Tundra or my Smart I do my best not to put myself or others at risk. If the semis did go after a Smart to teach the driver a lesson then that is really out of line (and it would be out of line to do that to anyone driving anything).Although I am not a "professional driver" I drive a lot on a weekly basis between East Braintree and Winnipeg and have done so for over a decade. I have seen enough stupidity on that stretch of road to last me a lifetime (especially during "cottage season". I once was on my way to Winnipeg in some bad winter weather; there were four vehicles in a row, a car was in front of me, I was second in my truck and there were two behind me. It was real bad weather and the person in the car ahead leading the "convoy" was doing a good job driving for the conditions (and 4 wheel drive or not, I wasn't about to pass). A semi came roaring down the road and passed all us, blinding us real good and swaying side to side into our lane. 20 kilometers down the road we all passed the same semi, leaning to one side in the ditch stuck in 3 feet of snow. The professional driver was standing up to his waist in snow staring at his truck. We all just passed him (someone had already stopped to help this guy out) and I thought thank god he didn't kill me or anyone else this time. Once our 4 vehicle convoy got to the perimiter of Winnipeg (we passed two more semis and one 4 wheeler in the ditch) and we pealed off one by one to go our separate ways we each flashed our lights to say so long. We were probably not too smart for even driving in that kind of weather but we made it.Some on the road are "professionals" who drive to make money and who probably are generally better equipped to drive in adverse conditions but the others on the road are just people trying to get from point A to Point B without gettingh maimed or killed. Sometimes those on the road for commerce reasons don't recognize those who aren't. For myself, if I am going too slow for a semi, a pick-up, a BMW or a Smart then by all means pass me but just do it safely.

A semi came roaring down the road and passed all us, blinding us real good and swaying side to side into our lane. 20 kilometers down the road we all passed the same semi, leaning to one side in the ditch stuck in 3 feet of snow. The professional driver was standing up to his waist in snow staring at his truck.

A true definition of the word "Moron". He got what he deserved. Unfortunately, the road is littered (sometimes literally) with people who got their license from a box of Cracker Jacks. As stated earlier, morons come in all sorts of vehicles. This one, unfortunately, came with a big truck under him. Drivers like him give the other 98% of us a bad name.I'm glad that no one was injured or worse in that off-road excursion of his. (I refuse to call it an 'accident', because it was preventable)

Wow, everyone, thanks...I figured that Because MB did already adjust my light that it couldn't be my lights... (Like not even a month ago)Also I agree the class "G" is to easy to get.. I know I am not much more then that with my class "F" and "M" but Any more skills is better then none.I know when I can I help out big Rigs on the road, like little them know they have cleared me, and also putting on my fourways (when I am a head of them... a quick notice for them if i see someone on the side of the road) Or sometimes I move out of their way so they don't have to go out and around me ... if it's easier for me to do so. Plus I always move over to let them murge. and A lot of time I help them get into the second lane by moving over ... I would say I keep an eye out for them to make the drive smoother...Anyways I was just wondering why they would do this to a little smart as I really didn't do anything to them... and after showing them my High Beams where not on you would seem to think they would stop with the blinding (at least the truck that I showed anyways) however they didn't ... what am I to do... fix my lights on the 401???AnywaysIf they want repsect they should give it as well.I didn't mean to start this Riot in here... Just want to see what I was doing so wrong as I have 7 years of Lrg Cube truck driving and Lrg Cargo Van driving behind me with my Class "F" and I thought I was a darm good drive ... and this is the frist time I have ever had something so crazy/blinding in my life...

Wow, everyone, thanks...I figured that Because MB did already adjust my light that it couldn't be my lights... (Like not even a month ago)Also I agree the class "G" is to easy to get.. I know I am not much more then that with my class "F" and "M" but Any more skills is better then none.I know when I can I help out big Rigs on the road, like little them know they have cleared me, and also putting on my fourways (when I am a head of them... a quick notice for them if i see someone on the side of the road) Or sometimes I move out of their way so they don't have to go out and around me ... if it's easier for me to do so. Plus I always move over to let them murge. and A lot of time I help them get into the second lane by moving over ... I would say I keep an eye out for them to make the drive smoother...Anyways I was just wondering why they would do this to a little smart as I really didn't do anything to them... and after showing them my High Beams where not on you would seem to think they would stop with the blinding (at least the truck that I showed anyways) however they didn't ... what am I to do... fix my lights on the 401???AnywaysIf they want repsect they should give it as well.I didn't mean to start this Riot in here... Just want to see what I was doing so wrong as I have 7 years of Lrg Cube truck driving and Lrg Cargo Van driving behind me with my Class "F" and I thought I was a darm good drive ... and this is the frist time I have ever had something so crazy/blinding in my life...

I am a truck driver myself and we have can have up to 6 mirrors shining back at our eyes and yes that trucker likely thought you had your bright lights on . As for him following you with his brights at you that is very unprofessional of him and putting you in a bad situation. Try to get his trucking company name and unit number and report him to his company and the OPP. As Huronlad said the quality of truck drivers out there is diminishing every year. John

Also I agree the class "G" is to easy to get..

I don't know when most of us got our licences. I suspect that alot of members did many years ago. My father got his licence in the 80's. He told me that he went in for a simple written test and 2 weeks later came in for a driving test which he said could hardly be called one. I have heard this time and time again from older generations, that their licences were just handed to them......It's not that way ANYMORE. My user name is Finally Got One. There cars came to Canada when I was 15 years old and it has taken 5 years for me to get one. Aside from other variables, I spent years going through the "graduated licensing program" Ontario has made it more difficult for people to get their licences. For as many people I know that passed their written G1 entry test,I know almost as many who had to rewrite it. A G1 has many restrictions. Some are you have to drive with a G class driver who has held a full licence for atleast 4 years, you can't drive between midnight and 6 am, you can't have any passengers can not drive on roads over 100kms ect. You are supposed to be in the G1 class for atleast 1 year. You can move on a few months earlier if you pass a certified defensive training course. I took the course. It took me 3 months including 6 weeks of classroom work and 6 weeks of practical training. I recomend it for everyone. It is not an easy course but it makes you a better driver. The next portion of the graduated licensing program is the a road test to receive your G2. As with the G1, I have heard of as many people failing as passing. The test requires you to study and be sharp. The examiners are very critical. I am willing to say that more than half of the fully licensed drivers on the road right now would not pass this test. I see so many drivers making mistakes according to the books but becasue it is not enforced and they have been driving for "20 years" its no big deal. With a g2 you are able to drive alone, with passangers, and on highways. There is still a list of restrictions for the G2 driver but I would have to look them up. With a G2 you have more freedom but your insurance is unbelievable You must also hold your G2 for atleast one year and complete a certain number of driving hours.When the time and driving requirements are met, you are eligblie for a road test which gives you your G licence. Bad habbits will get you in trouble here. Trust me I know. The examiners are very critical with you before they give you your full G licence. I know many people that have failed this test. I reccomend grabbing a drivers handbook, reading it and seeing how your driving adds up. You might think you have most of it locked down but if you do not follow it to the T you would fail the drivers tests. The whole process takes a minimum of 2 YEARS and at the most 5 before you have to start over. The process requires you to know the rules of the road. Drivers Handbooks and Defensive Driving Courses have become best friends of people who are trying to get their G license. It took me 5 years to get my G between highschool, college and tackling life hard. That's the reason for the user name FinallyGotOne. So who ever thinks that it is easy to get your G or full licence these days, they are wrong and that is coming from someone who just went through the whole process. Don't get me wrong 20+ years ago, licences were handed out like water but the laws have changed and people have to work hard for their privilege to drive. I can speak for Ontario's system but I cannot speak on behalf of other provinces. Edited by FinallyGotOne

Like in every trade you have good tradesman and bad tradesman and so is that with truckers too.John

As with all things mentioned by everyone in this tread, the comments are generalizations. You may be a very courteous driver, even in your pick up, but again (and I generalize) the worst driving habits that I have observed are by the drivers of full sized pick ups and SUV's.

No Derek, my post was not directed at you.

The whole point is that no matter what you drive, everyone should show a little courtesy to fellow road users.

yes, it doesn't take much of a headlight mis-adjustment, and or heavy load in the trunk to cause glare to other drivers

I routinely drive truck cross continent and notice there are some very predictable occurrences

my mirrors are photo-chromatic, so I can dim them down at night to reduce glare, even so it can still be very annoying

full size pickups and SUV's are definitely the worst offenders with regards to light courtesy, < or lack thereof >

perhaps a result of distracted driving ?

however the most unsafe drivers, particularly in urban-city areas, seem to be in BMW's or lately the new Audi's, < same folks ? >

the amount of aggressive actions by these drivers is note-able

as well as their lack of proficiency when trying to recover from some of their maneuvers

on the plus side, as a smart car driver myself, I tend to notice smarts, even when they are just moving down the road

rain/ snow wise, they do throw up a bit of spray, rear flaps would help with that

especially the ones that are heavily textured on the side facing the tire

on a side note, in many areas it is generally recognized that, unnecessarily running with fog or auxiliary driving lights

is taken as a sign of support for gay pride

just so you know

safe motoring

If there's any hint that your lights are bothering other drivers you should observe the lights yourself from about the same vantage point as others would. Parking on a level surface facing a blank wall should also give you some insight. I once took part in a group drive and noticed that the smart car behind me had one very bright light ... very annoying! I told the owner later via a pm. I believe the cause in that instance was that the bulb was not seated properly in the socket.