Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
derekbrochu

Big Rigs VS Smart Cars

34 posts in this topic

Derek....

I don't know if it's the wheel base or what, but I find an amazing amount of smart cars on the road have badly aligned headlights. The mount system for them is poor as well, which might be a factor.

The fact multiple people were flashing at you is a good indication the problem is you.

Here's one description of how to adjust them.

http://www.r32argent.ca/Parts%20&%20Ac...0headlights.pdf

The only real requirement is a flat level surface, though you do have to take the front off. I bet you find your headlights are quite a ways out.

The truck thing make sense. I've seen quite a few smarts where they are so far out, it doesn't really bother normal cars since the light goes right over them, you need a tall vehicle like a truck to get blinded.

Cheers!

Dang

The lights on the smart cars are brighter than most vehicles. We went across the border at Sarnia and the guard asked if I had my highbeams on while checking our passports, I told him no, these are my normal running lights.I have notice a few pickup trucks that have passed, pulled into the same lane, and they had their rear light on that sits above the truck bed at the back of their cab.We drive to the USA lots, have never had trouble with big rigs, but it is the pickup trucks, mostly on the USA side that cause us grief. I don't know if it is the "I am bigger than you" mantallity, but they almost run you off the road as the come up behind you right up to almost your back bumper, pull out aggressively, and then floor it as they pass you. We do not drive slow as we do the speed limit, or the same speed as the traffic is travelling at. They always have to pass you no matter what speed you are going at.Unfortunately our roofs are not made of metal and we cannot attach a magnetic roof mount CB antena to our Smart Car. We have a CB in the van and it has come in handy while travelling on the major highways. If you had a CB you could have asked the drivers why they were shining their dock lights on you. My guess is as the other stated that your normal running lights were just too bright.Next time maybe carry a large flashlight with lots of power and if this happens again just give them a flash to say you don't like it.My husband has a ABMZ drivers license and has driven everything from Big Rigs, straight trucks, large vans with dullies, buses, van, car, and motorcycle. His opinion of other drivers out on the road is that it is just getting worse as time goes on, drivers are more rude, no matter what they are driving, and are always in a hurry and always cutting too close in front and behind.My advise is just drive safe, try not to worry about it and hopefully it won't happen on your next trip, you probably just got behind a bunch of tired, cranky truck drivers.

Here are both sides of the coin.

The first link is what bothers car drivers about big trucks --> http://autos.ca.msn.com/editors-picks/gall...mentid=27704170

The second link here --> http://autos.ca.msn.com/editors-picks/gall...mentid=27704373 is the same type of report on how big truck drivers feel about the '4-wheelers'

Both have valid points.

I still maintain that common sense, co-operation and courtesy amongst all users of the roads would solve a lot of the problems.

Personally I have only ever experienced one "really" aggressive truck driver, he was tailgating me and then went over and tailgated a car that had a family with a baby in the back, when they switched lanes he came back to me and when I switched back to them. It was a really scary moment, with that my passenger called the OPP and reported him. I find truckers not bad at all, when I zip by them they have more of an astonished look "really, that little thing can pass me, wow".I wouldn't limit and say pickup or suv drivers are bad, because you could be brand specific as well and say "BMW drivers are horrible". I think it just has to do with the person who is behind the wheel that makes them a bad driver and then paints the rest the same colour. I have had a person ask me "why do smart drivers think their better then everyone else?" so to that person we are all morons, to each their own. Bad drivers are part of everyday life sadly, one day that tailgating will not end in their favour thats for sure.Thought I would add my two cents worth :)Brit, Mathieu and Marty Car :D

In my experience it has not been unusual that, when I have signaled a lane change and intend to merge left several car-lengths in front of a pickup truck, that the truck driver stamps on the gas and speeds up to close the gap and prevent me from merging. I have had this twice in the last two weeks, for example. And only ever had this treatment from pickups - never cars or large commercial traffic.I think my very first smart hater after I got the car was turning from in front of Princess Auto, where their lots intersects the larger parking complex, from where we must stop before entering the roadway. I turned left into the main parking lane in front of a pickup truck coming along the lane, with plenty of room to spare. I stopped at the perpendicular crosswalk getting ready to turn onto the roadway, when the p/u driver ran up to my window shouting something about, "Driving a smart car doesn't make you better than anyone else! You cut me off back there!"Looking back over my shoulder, I saw his stopped truck, and easy 8-10 meters in back of me. Once opening my window, I noticed the guy stank of booze and he kept repeating his you-think-you're better-than me nonsense over and over.Clearly his distance and speed perception was impaired, but his actions and words made clear that he had a very sad personal agenda.

Edited by bilgladstone

I just finished a round trip for Toronto to Sarasota Florida and back, and my experience with most trucks was completely different. Ran into high winds and heavy rain in Georgia during the night, and many semis would flash their high beams as they approached to let me know they were coming. It let me prepare seeing they were traveling about 20 mph faster than me.

Thanks everyone,I agree with everyone... and I am having my light checked again when I go in to do my Service b in a few weeks. untill then I will stay off the HWY's.And yes during the day i have no truoble with truckers... and I have a lot of help from them as well... but as soon as it was night it was like a totall switch.However it was the blinding of me as a drive with two and three Trukers... instend of a quick flash... which bothered me more then anything... because thier blinding me for long periods doesn't help at all... and makes for a stressful drive.Thanks again everyone!

Well Really good news. I fixed my head lights about 3 weeks ago, and now when I drive at night no one flashes me... and the big rigs leave me alone now.So I got them to fix it for free because they said tey did it last time and the must not have but charged me... I fixed it!LOL!Safe driving everyone and thanks for the advice!

Hey, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet (it was a LOOOONG post to read fully), but I plan to get a set of eyebrows to prevent this type of thing:

http://www.evilution.co.uk/347

I've never had a problem with big rigs, in fact the opposite has happened. They quite often give me LOADS of room, let me in, and thank me profusely when I make an extra effort to let them in. I often see them working hard to locate me in their mirrors if I'm passing them. I imagine that many of them are terrified of hitting such a tiny car at speed.

I have noticed however that LOTS of people flash their highbeams at me when I don't have mine on. I think I've narrowed this down to the fact that we have both headlights and city lights on when we're driving. In the dark it looks like we have headlights and highbeams on. People just assume that since they're seeing two lights in the same pod that it must be highbeams.