Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gordon

Smart Drive App for iPhone

9 posts in this topic

I've been monitoring iTunes Canada for months for any sign of the smart Drive app for iPhone. Found it up for sale today. It still appears to be the US version, so I couldn't get the maps to work. Everything else is working well, and I'll post more as I test it out later in the week. I'm going on an outdoor ed trip with my students, so no smart driving until next weekend. :(

Here's a link explaining the app.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/01/smart-c...nstrated-video/

I've been monitoring iTunes Canada for months for any sign of the smart Drive app for iPhone. Found it up for sale today. It still appears to be the US version, so I couldn't get the maps to work. Everything else is working well, and I'll post more as I test it out later in the week. I'm going on an outdoor ed trip with my students, so no smart driving until next weekend. :( Here's a link explaining the app.http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/01/smart-c...nstrated-video/

Thanks for the update - I have been checking every few months for it. Too bad its the US version though.

I didnt find the link or the iApp store info useful as it doesnt say how to connect or even if you can connect to a 450 versus the451 shown.Anyone know?2seat

2seat.....It doesn't really "interface" to the car at all. If you watch the engadget clip, you notice it's sits on "aux" the whole time, and they are really just sending the Audio to the radio, so sure it will work with the 450, or a Ford truck for that matter. It's on the U.S. Store, but actually I don't see it on the Canadian store either.Cheers!Dang

I'm wondering if the app has been pulled! I can't find it on the Canadian iTunes site and the American site now only lists the European version. Perhaps they want people to buy the nice new touch screen radio instead.

I have had no chance to play with the app. I downloaded it (the US version) from the Canadian iTunes site on Monday and have been at an outdoor education centre with grade six students from my school since then. I checked my phone while I was away and noticed a prompt for an upgrade to the North American version. The download was too big for my 3G service, and it wouldn't have been cool to download all that on the school board's wifi, so I'm downloading it now. Hopefully, I can report on the mapping function, etc., later. I will say that the large format buttons makes switching songs much easier than the normal iTunes on the iPhone. Same with the Internet radio. My fifty year old eyes like it.No, as posted above, it doesn't interface with the car. You could use it on any car. Essentially what you're getting is more smart lifestyle gear -- like buying a hat or T-shirt -- just in the form of a digital app.More later.

Thanks for the update - I have been checking every few months for it. Too bad its the US version though.

I have had no chance to play with the app. I downloaded it (the US version) from the Canadian iTunes site on Monday and have been at an outdoor education centre with grade six students from my school since then. I checked my phone while I was away and noticed a prompt for an upgrade to the North American version. The download was too big for my 3G service, and it wouldn't have been cool to download all that on the school board's wifi, so I'm downloading it now. Hopefully, I can report on the mapping function, etc., later. I will say that the large format buttons makes switching songs much easier than the normal iTunes on the iPhone. Same with the Internet radio. My fifty year old eyes like it.No, as posted above, it doesn't interface with the car. You could use it on any car. Essentially what you're getting is more smart lifestyle gear -- like buying a hat or T-shirt -- just in the form of a digital app.More later.

I checked a few times over the weekend and I can't find the Smart Drive app on the Canadian iTunes store at all. I did find the free "BringMeBack" app, which helps you find your parked smart.

It's back as listed at the store but it doesn't allow you to purchase. Who ever heard of an app refusing money! Lol