Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
briand

Reclining Passenger Seat

8 posts in this topic

I searched through the forums (using the advanced search) and found a few things about the seats but could not find anything about making the passenger seat recline. Is there a way to do it?

I have read Evilution Seat Information and Evilution - How to Change the Seat Runners and came up with the thought that I could just buy a RHD driver's seat and use the current passenger seat's bracket. But then I would lose the ability to fold down the passenger seat. Anyone know if my idea would work? And how I might find a RHD seat?

Brian, if I have read all that correctly, if you buy a driver seat from a RHD you can bolt it to the existing runners in your car and it should work as you desire. As far as obtaining a seat, eBay or one of the smart parts suppliers out of the UK may be your best bet. Flyingtiger in B.C. might be a possibility as well.

Search some more. There was a long thread about that, which came to the conclusion that a drivers side seat from the UK with the runners WILL match up with the subframe already on your car. IIRC. But then the passenger seat won't fold, keep in mind.You can add a small amount of spacing to the front mounting bolts to get a fixed amount more recline, not more than about 3/16 inch or you may compromise the bolt strength.And please don't think about actual modifications to the seat itself, it is a vital part of the safety system.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you are going to obtain a drivers side seat from a right hand drive car, the in seat air bag will be on the wrong side. After having one go off and push my door out of ajustment I would think twice about aiming one at anybody.Just my two centsAlan

Edited by Henry

I don't think so........

your right Edited by Henry

Just bear in mind one of the reasons they didn't put a reclining passenger seat is for safety reasons. With the seat reclined and in an accident you tend to have the passenger wind up in a rather distorted lump in the foot well as none of the safety devices can do their job (seat belt, airbags). More so in the smart as we depend on energy transfer rather than crumple zones (hence why our seats have that nice steel shell around them). As the auto manufacturer has no control of when the passenger seat is reclined they probably wanted to avoid the issue and lawsuits - Obviously if the driver's seat is reclined (unless they are totally brainless) the vehicle is stationary.If you are getting a seat out of the UK - confirm the side airbag as they were an option for the vehicle there - and our cars are hard to fake out about the bag not being there. You can get several degrees of tilt using the shim approach under the front of the seats without compromising safety (especially if you use longer and equally strong bolts) - be aware too that the floor plan on the UK cars are slightly different on the passenger side.Also that the stagger of the seats (as with our cars) - the driver's seat probably won't slide back as far on the rails so if you install it in the passenger position you won't get the stagger that keeps shoulders from bumping. Cheers,Cameron

Is there any known way to simply make the seat more upright? That's my downfall with the passenger seat is that it's sloped back so far it's uncomfortable and tbh probably more dangerous if I got in an accident and it was me or my hubby in the passenger seat as we both pretty well sit straight up (better for our backs). The slouching/sloping back is extremely painful...maybe I'll question it when I'm at Merc tomorrow...getting it permanently adjusted some way or another...Update: Nope...no way to permanently change the angle of them...instead I should consider the 451 if I want an adjustable back for the passenger. If it was anything like the 2010 loaner I had today, no thank you, I didn't think I'd be THAT dissatisfied with a car...next time I'm requesting a B series, or he said to give their Brabus a go. That won't be for another 6-8 months, so we'll see then.

Edited by darkos_days