Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little_Smartie

New Owner

7 posts in this topic

I live in the Calgary area and just bought a 2006 Pulse that has just over 47,000 KM on it. Haven't been able to drive it much lately due to the cold. It has had a few issues: trouble starting, when it gets to cold the door's do not like to close. We have it plugged in, but we are starting to question the connection to the battery. The dealership says they put in a new one, but that could mean many things.As well, yesterday it displayed the warning light for the Water Separator. This leaves us wondering what the previous owner had done to it or the type of diesel that has been put into it. It would be nice to have some warm weather, so we can figure out whats going on with it, and what type of work it needs. We got warranty on it, but it's at a GM dealership, so we question how much they actually know about them. Anyway, I am pretty excited to join this group and learn\meet other Smart Car owners. I would love to know if there are any meet ups in Calgary (or Airdrie).Thanks : )

Welcome!If the doors are failing to latch closed the door latches need to be cleaned and lubricated, or if covered by your warranty, replaced. The latches build up with dirt and lubricant to the point they will not function correctly.A replacement water separator can be obtained through Dodge, you will need the filter and the sensor(should come as one complete unit). The filter can be purchased without the sensor but the sensor is a one time item so you will need a new one. A great deal of repair information can be found on evilution.co.uk.

If you say that you just bought it, then why aren't you having the dealer you bouight it off fixing all the problems?With or without the warranty they gave you, I'd be plunking it at the vendor's door and let them deal with it.

I had the same problem with the Waterseparator light being on... I bought mine in January with just around 46000km... As per service manual, the separator has to be replaced by then. I brought mine back to the Toyota dealer ship (the place I bought it) and asked for a repair. They did. But the light stayed on... The fine folks at the Victoria Smart dealership told me that this has most likely to do with moisture in the electrical system.... They recommended leaving the air conditioning running on stage one all the time to dry out the components. For 3 weeks now, the light is out! Good luck!Andreas

Things seems to be going better with the car... Other then the doors occasional freezing (understandable in the -20ish weather we have been having).. I am having a blast driving it around : )

:welcome: to the club. This site has loads of information to help it's members find parts, helpful hints, local get-togethers, technical suggestions and much more.

The door latches on the earlier Canadian models were a pain in the butt because of the problems that some owners ran into. Aside from the need to be really clean and properly lubricated, they are susceptible to freezing at the slightest amount of water anywhere near them. Washing these cars in the sub-freezing temperatures should be done very carefully (preferably by hand to avoid the door latches entirely). When your doors fail to close and latch, try warming them with a hair dryer to see if that solves the problem before panicing about the total failure of the latch itself.

The newer models have changed the latching system and it 'seems' to be better that the older ones. Only time will tell for sure though.

Ron :bike:

Welcome to the club.I hope you drive the car on longer trips than 5 km at a time! The diesels don't like short trips....Trouble starting could be a lot of things. The dealer that sold it to you should sort it for you out while it's still cold.