Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FinallyGotOne

Parts JACKPOT!

22 posts in this topic

Smarts have been in Europe since '99 but we do not see them until '05. The fact is that salvageable Smarts are few and far between unlike other vehicles. New parts through the dealer can be outrageously priced on top of it all.

[i do not want to take away from members like NSU1960 who has done a fantastic job of offering parts]

I contacted a salvage yard in England to disucuss importing parts a few weeks ago but did not receive a response. My thinking was that importing small common parts like alternators could prove to make and save money for both parties.

The biggest hurdle will be shipping. It will make exporting some parts impossible but the whole thing is not unfeasible.

So I contacted an individual who came recommended by several people. I think he is connected to a recycler in Germany. I got an email from him tonight that said this:

Re: Hello

Hi there I have no problem sending you parts, I'd be happy to send single parts, upto and including full cars, cars full of parts either lhd/rhd and maybe shipping containers full of bits, [a windshield wouldnt make the trip unless its in a packing case,] but shipping would have to be added in the costs, but lets do business, cheers Nik

I am waiting for permission to post his email address. This might be ideal for you smart mechanics who see the same parts go all the time. A group could put together a list for one big shipment idealy. I think personal deals for things like alternators or motors might be possible too.

I know I instantly started thinking about importing CDI's

I think this here is the JACKPOT.

Edited by FinallyGotOne

Great initiative, cousin :thumbup: It's always good to discover a source of replacement parts outside of the dealer channel. But they must be in very good or new condition.

Things like:

[*]Alternator

[*]clutch actuator

[*]engine top end

[*]timing chain and guide

[*]heat exchanger/radiators: coolant, a/c and intercooler

[*]intercooler fan assembly

[*]EGR mixer

[*]turbo

(also the short oil feed tube underneath)

[*]high pressure fuel pump

[*]glow plugs

[*]A arms

[*]drive shafts

[*]clutch assembly

I need replacement shocks but prices on this side of the pond are exorbitant. What can your guy get?

That list pretty well covers the common culprits that have let people down. I will send him that list and see if he can give us some shipping costs. Part quality will not be perfect as they are used and the prices will refect that. It is the joy of auto recycling. I think the best way to do this would be to get a a group together with a list of "needs", make a transaction with Nik and have the parts shipped as a unit to one location and then disperse them. Canadian shipping is not horrible. (My hitch cost 35 dollars to ship 4000+ kms.)I will contact Nik about those shocks. I assume you are talking about front struts? I will just copy and paste your post/request into an email.

Any thoughts?

I've been buying parts from England , but mostly Germany for over 5 years now. Very few diesels sold in England.Shipping from England generally is more expensive than from Germany. Container shipping could be cheaper but filling that container would be a huge problem. That's a lot of parts!I buy a lot from German ebay and that is challenging. First the language barrier, then a lot refuse to ship to Canada.Also there are many Germans who don't have paypal, so payment becomes a problem.That being said, I have acquired used turbos, EGRs, injectors, door latches, intercoolers, exhausts, panels, calipers, clutches, drive shafts, etc, etc.....Primarily I acquired these parts to help keep costs down on my own fleet of 4 smarts. Excess parts I have offered for sale, eg injectors...click here.(which are still available)

I just found out that the diesels are a rare vehicle in the UK. You are the second person to tell me that today. This connection may still prove to be valuable. Can you post a link for the German EBay? That kind of a European channel is what I am aiming for here. I just feel bad when people post about a break down along with a list of outrageously priced parts.

I've been buying parts from England , but mostly Germany for over 5 years now. Very few diesels sold in England.Shipping from England generally is more expensive than from Germany. Container shipping could be cheaper but filling that container would be a huge problem. That's a lot of parts!I buy a lot from German ebay and that is challenging. First the language barrier, then a lot refuse to ship to Canada.Also there are many Germans who don't have paypal, so payment becomes a problem.That being said, I have acquired used turbos, EGRs, injectors, door latches, intercoolers, exhausts, panels, calipers, clutches, drive shafts, etc, etc.....Primarily I acquired these parts to help keep costs down on my own fleet of 4 smarts. Excess parts I have offered for sale, eg injectors...click here.(which are still available)

Have you ever purchased or even seen the hard plastic outer pieces for the smart key on german ebay?

I got another email from Nik. I guess he has connections outside of the UK. He is working on numbers for us but here is apart of an email he wrote. I can either source the parts be it new or used or I probably have pretty much most parts. Will email you with prices.and need to see about shipping costs.but I get a used cdi engine for $1400+ shipping maybe less we'll see. But thats only a ball park figure.cheers Nik

Have you ever purchased or even seen the hard plastic outer pieces for the smart key on german ebay?

Like these?smart key partsDealt with these guys for mirror covers and window shades - good service but shipping is expensive.Cheers,Cameron

Great link. I was looking at the pictures and saw some yellow panels beside a red wall. Then I saw some shocks and other suspension parts against a red wall. Then I realized that it all could have come from a single dismantled Smart. It kind of made me sad. Lol Edited by FinallyGotOne

Like these?smart key partsDealt with these guys for mirror covers and window shades - good service but shipping is expensive.Cheers,Cameron

Yes, they have the 450 key fob but i see it only comes as a complete key when i only need the front and back outer hard plastic pieces.....bummerI seem to remember a body shop in the west end that had alot od car crashed smart cars????? I wonder if they would sell me the two plastic pieces i need????I don't remember the name of the place though?????????

Scroll down - they have just the shells too. $14 buck or so - they call they a button fix - not sure if includes both shells though.Cheers,Cameron

Newest update:Hi, further to your earlier email,I have had a quick look around on parts i have and parts i can get, i get a reasonable discount on smart parts from mercedes-benz as a customer of theirs, and i also source parts from other companies that sell parts to mercedes, eg clutch for a 450 is about £350 from mercedes, and i can get the exact one made by Luk(which even has the merc number stamped on it) for £240 to my door, after all merc dont make any parts themselves,Here are common 450 parts you requested and prices are only guide prices, if i have plenty of them i sell cheaper than these prices if i only have 1  you would pay the prices below or there aboutsAlternator  £60clutch actuator £80engine top end £150 petroltiming chain and guide, would have to check with merc, dont sell 2nd hand cause they aint worth itheat exchanger/radiators: coolant, a/c and intercooler Radiator £30, ac pump £50intercooler fan assembly £50 complete with intercoolerEGR mixer £40turbo £200 if i have them (plenty of them needed in UK)(also the short oil feed tube underneath)  £20high pressure fuel pump (in the tank ??) £25glow plugsA arms £25 per sidedrive shafts £ 40 per side completeclutch assembly £240 complete with the clutch release bearing and carrierIt has been asked if CDI engine parts are available too like pistons, rings, valves etc. Our engines have been known to go and the only option is replacement. = I can get any part that you would require from mercedes, rings for 450 petrol are about £15 per cylinder, valves about £9, pistons i dont know. = used diesel engines are hard to find but i can lay my hands on one for £1000 goo running order with 68,000 miles onOne person contacted me and said this:  I need replacement shocks but prices on this side of the pond are exorbitant. What can your guy get? I have used shocks £25 per sideI havent had any quotes back yet as regards shipping, but would need an item as an example, but nothing is impossible, and i alway get a good price, whats the smart forum you use??? id be happy to join, but i do have to make a buck on these parts, and would be happy to look after any customers i can get with competative pricing and swift deliveryCheers Nik

I think you're primarily looking at 450 parts but if you wouldn't mind, could you inquire about 451 parts as well? Those are turning out to be pretty pricey also. Thanks! :)

I asked Nik about 451 parts.I think he is going to join the forum and you guys will be able to deal with him directly. I will let you know.

The dealer sells those parts for a reasonable cost.

Buying from Germany or England might be slightly cheaper, but would add considerable time to your purchase.

eg. click here.

This seller from Germany has turbo for just under $900. Dealer sells for about $100 more.

Not yet, but for what I'm looking to buy from them it would almost certainly be cheaper for me to fly into Frankfurt and come back with the parts as checked baggage! :D