Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leadwing

Potholes

9 posts in this topic

In the northen hemisphere, it is now spring. With spring comes the usual minor floods and freak snow storms. Spring also brings the annual 'dodge-em' game of trying to miss potholes that weren't there the day before.

A local resident was on her way to work a few days ago, when she hit a pothole in her smart. It was such a large hole that it bent a wheel rim, wrecked her suspension and even set off the airbag. The loud "bang" of the airbag deployment actually stunned her and her ears were ringing for several hours after the incident.

Bottom line is a repair bill of waaaaay over $1,000. (details to follow)

Avoid them if possible, but if you can't avoid them, don't brake while going through them. Keep your wheels straight and your fingers crossed.

A local resident was on her way to work a few days ago, when she hit a pothole in her smart. It was such a large hole that it bent a wheel rim, wrecked her suspension and even set off the airbag.

What an awful experience. :-(I know that in Edmonton, the City has a program where you can get them to reimburse you for vehicle repairs necessitated by potholes. Enough cases were going through small-claims court that it was more economical for the City to implement this program. No idea how effective it actually is. Do other places have anything similar?Not braking is FTW. A lot of people seem to be idiots in this regard. It gets on my nerves when people in SUVs brake crossing bumpy train tracks. If they're so worried that the bump is going to damage their massive behemoth (even though it's ostensibly designed for off-roading), then if they had any common sense the last thing they should be doing is shifting all the vehicle's weight to the front wheels just in time for them to slam into the tracks. :angry:

They (the driver and her hubby) are in the process of trying to get back something from the city. They were told to "get estimates, and we will see what we can do". I wish them luck.

Edited by Leadwing

I've noticed that the roads in T.O. are pretty "chunky" this spring.. especially near the curbs. Lots of dodging and gritting of teeth and hoping the wheel bearings will hold up.I find it amusing when I'm driving behind someone in a hy00ge SUV and see them slewing about trying to avoid pot holes. (Of course the giggling stops when I have to repeat their maneuver. -.- )

What an awful experience. :-(

I know that in Edmonton, the City has a program where you can get them to reimburse you for vehicle repairs necessitated by potholes. Enough cases were going through small-claims court that it was more economical for the City to implement this program. No idea how effective it actually is. Do other places have anything similar?

Not braking is FTW. A lot of people seem to be idiots in this regard. It gets on my nerves when people in SUVs brake crossing bumpy train tracks. If they're so worried that the bump is going to damage their massive behemoth (even though it's ostensibly designed for off-roading), then if they had any common sense the last thing they should be doing is shifting all the vehicle's weight to the front wheels just in time for them to slam into the tracks. :angry:

The trick is (if you have to) is to max. your decel, then lift up on the brake at the last possible instant, and you can leap over them after the front shocks release their preload ;)

-Iain

The trick is (if you have to) is to max. your decel, then lift up on the brake at the last possible instant, and you can leap over them after the front shocks release their preload ;)

-Iain

Good plan if you can see it coming. The driver in this case had just changed lanes and the view ahead was blocked by the vehicle she pulled in behind. There wasn't a lot of time for her 'powerful' 40 hp CDI to take advantage of that suggestion.

I've noticed that the roads in T.O. are pretty "chunky" this spring.. especially near the curbs. Lots of dodging and gritting of teeth and hoping the wheel bearings will hold up.

Yeah, roads are in the same shape in KW and, unfortunately, mine didn't hold up...had the pleasure of replacing the wheel bearing on both sides (front) last week @ about 78K km. Cost about $600 at the dealer.

UPDATE

I Heard that the people involved in the incident in the first post got some satisfaction. The city of London has agreed to pay all costs except for the ball joints (which were close to needing replacing anyway).

See? ... you can fight city hall (and win)

Edited by Leadwing

Amazing! Freepjam tried to do this with the Ottawa City Hall, and was shot down, after a long drawn out ordeal.