dieselkiki

Timing/oil pump chain

162 posts in this topic

It sounds like a rod bearing (wrist pin area or crank) may be sloppy.

Turns out, it is hydraulic timing chain tensenior, as suspected. Replaced it with old one and now all is fine! Thank you guys.

Edited by TorqueJunkie

You got to be careful and apply sealant sparingly. I don't use silicone based sealants any more for machinery after having experienced similar problems to yours. Silicone based sealants are too soft and do easily come off. Polyurethane sealants have much higher mechanical strength and bond better to metals. Also a lot cheaper, obviously depending on where the sealant is sourced. My first sealant choice at the moment is PU40 polyurethane sealant available from builders merchants. This sealant is commonly used in caravans and motor homes. Only £4 for a 300 ml cartridge in the UK.

To measure oil pressure, just remove pressure switch and connect a pressure gauge. You need a suitable fitting.

parts-Oil-Pressure-Switch-SMART-FORTWO-C

There is a Smart 450 petrol parked on my drive so i can check whether arrow on camshaft sprocket is centred in oil filler hole when crank shaft pulley timing mark lines up with mark on timing case cover. Can't do this before some time tomorrow.

I know you can access top bolts for timing case cover through oil filler hole. Have used that to check whether the two bolts are tight.

Removing rocker cover is a rather fiddly job on 160 engines. Much easier on the diesel. All we need do is remove vacuum pump.

Thanks tolsen, you gave me many useful advices. If not too much trouble, please check the arrow thing when you can.

It was aligned it to center of cap hole and it runs fine now. Thanks.

Edited by TorqueJunkie

Never before seen on the net. Club smart car first:

DSC04315.jpg

Smart 450 Pure, 2002 registration. 0.6 litre engine. No 1 cylinder on second TDC (not firing stroke). Arrow on camshaft sprocket points exactly towards centre of oil filler hole. Arrow is just below tooth seen in middle of hole.

Makes it rather easy to check if timing is correct on 160 engines. All that has to come off is plastic splash guard at right hand side of auxiliary belt drive.

Huh, that warm fuzzy feeling of success :) Thanks for confirming this.

By the way I drove it 50 more km today and runs fine. I have never done any repairs to any engine before (just electric vehicles, like drivetrain in my avatar), so this is a tiny achievement. Electric cars ar so much easier...

Edited by TorqueJunkie

Short update. Had an issue with frozen breather pipe, which lead to some oil burn. Nothing damaged, but just a warning to others to change these each year.

Edited by TorqueJunkie
1 person likes this

On 2015-11-22 at 10:50 PM, tolsen said:

I doubt ebay item 171360758046 will be any worse than the original timing kit. Go for it and report back after a year.

Not exactly a year, but I can confirm that no failures occurred with the chain, it runs very well.

Edited by TorqueJunkie

Wow bizarre. A piece of piston!! That will imbalance the whole thing.