Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
garthD

Original batteries?

10 posts in this topic

Just wondering how many of you are still running with your original batteries (or how long your original lasted)? My car is just about to turn 5 and I'm quite surprised that my battery is still going strong considering I live in freezing hot S. Ontario and the smart seems quite demanding on batteries. I've got 78K km on the car at present.cheersgarth

I just replaced my original battery in February 2011. The original lasted a little over 5 years which I think is reasonable (I think it works pretty hard in the Prairie winters).

5 years in my case.

Replaced mine only as a PM item. Was still going strong after 6 years, 120,000 km. The original OEM Banner brand has now been replaced by the Varta brand at the smart dealer. Perfect fit and an easy install. I fully expect 6 years at least out of it.OOPS Should have been in reply to #1 post. Sorry, Mike. Edited by Fred J

'06, delivered in Dec '06, 140K and counting, going strong. Will probably replace as preventive measure this fall.They do need water topped up, probably annually is OK except in extreme heat. A battery that runs dry will fail of course.

Mine was giving a low voltage reading or something so it was replaced under warranty within the first 2 years.

what do you consider a low voltage?

Mine was giving a low voltage reading or something so it was replaced under warranty within the first 2 years.

Under 12.5 V with the engine off for a few hours is getting marginal.

Hi I've got 235K on my original battery from fall 2005 - going to replace it this fall as a preventative measure ... any other option than buying new from the dealer ... or is a new battery from the dealer reasonably priced ... other concern is that the battery is inside the car so notice that the existing one is vented ... thanks Art

All batteries are vented, the vent for a smart must have the hose to vent outside. The maintenance free ones still have a vent of sorts, but it's more of a occasional tiny burp of pressure relief rather than something that regularly normally vents explosive gases. There are a few options, I believe the size is designated group 34R. A non-OEM battery may need a longer ground cable depending on post arrangement. That's easy, though. Optima Red Top has been raved about, but that may just be marketing hype and excitement at a new toy rather than a measurable improvement. You know about the radio code? When battery is disconnected the radio won't work until a code is entered, anti-theft measure.