Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

The 100 MPG Challenge 2.011

89 posts in this topic

The sportline pulse rims are concave, but I'd be willing to wager they'd do well if taped up.

And for my purposes, they might even be lighter than the steelies.... Bil and I weighed wheels, but it was not conclusive.... I'd sure like to weight a sportline or jetline on the same scale with thr steelies

If you go with the pulse wheels, I'd use something like clear Mac-Tac or 3M shelf liner to cover the entire face including the bolt holes, and carry a couple of extra pre-cut circles of it in the car in case of punctures.

Do you think "Seal-n-Peel" caulking would stick to the rim/tire interface at 90 Km/h as a gap-smoother? I'd use that around the headlights and on most body seams as well.If you have a spare "stock" grille, you could experiment with building up (fibreglass) a smooth, blocked upper grille. I'd use styrofoam (EPS or XPS) as the filler. I might try a removable XPS/fibreglass plug for the lower grille, also as smooth as possible.

Just curious, have you thought of running a thinner engine oil to reduce engine friction at all? If travelling at really light MPG loads, you might be able to get away with using a really good full synthetic 0W20 or something similar. Just a thought.

I have some Chevron Delo 0w30 in it now...... doing an oil sample in the next couple days to see how it is performing

I am tentatively departing for SK today in the red canada1. Just doing an oil change and loading up.

May you have blue skies and tailwinds all trip long! Have fun, will you give updates during the trip?

I am tentatively departing for SK today in the red canada1. Just doing an oil change and loading up.

have a great trip and post some pics on the way!!

Have fun! You need to do some driving to catch up to the 29,000 km on mine!

Stayed at a campground between Kelowna and Vernon, and on my way towards Calgary next. I will be updating my site http://www.100mpg.ca - so that's the best place to check for updates beginning Friday or Saturday.

Back in Abbotsford now. Will review my various trips a bit further, but as a side note, I just added up my total fuel for the week, which came to 187.8 litres. The Scangauge came in at 184.9, which is optimistic by 1.6%.Looking at a trip that was 2.07 L/100 km, if I add 1.6%, that still leaves me with 2.19 L/100 km. I actually had a better run on the same stretch (a third attempt included a brand new OEM air filter and a passenger side mirror tuck in), but I carried on to MB, and didn't record the exact details, knowing it simply to be better, and that the car is capable of about 2.1.I now have a working cruise control installed, and so I will work on a few other enhancements, and see if I can eke out 2.1 in ideal conditions on Hwy 1 in the Fraser Valley.If this were a coupe with no AC, I imagine 2.0 would be the aim...Car now has a bit over 14,000 kms on it, so it's getting closer to being broken in.

Today I switched over the 135/70 and 155/60 wheel set to my 451... Wow, does it coast a long way compared to the 175/195 Vredestein combo...Heading to PG Sunday, so I'll have a good chance to see how the FE is with this set-up.