Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart_fan

1909 Singer Treadle Sewing Machine

6 posts in this topic

Hello,I'm looking for someone in the Ottawa area who can replace the belt and Pitman arm on a Singer treadle sewing machine. I know this is a completely abstract question, but I have had very good luck with posts on this forum, and Smart Owners have an instinctive understanding of things like this, and why it is important :) If you even know someone who can do this, I would be most grateful.All the best,Laura

You should try Singer directly. The treadle sewing machines are still sold new in third world countries. I was surprised to see them while in Sri Lanka. I also remember them from my youth and believe that they have a round cord that drives them as opposed to a belt.post-6253-1303076163_thumb.jpg

Mine had a round cross-section leather cord, the butted ends of which were connected together with a fine wire that looked sort of like a medium-weight staple.Not sure how chronistically accurate you wish to be, or what durability you require, but I think it would not be too difficult to make something resembling this.Bil :senile:

I have the belt and the Pitman arm, both of which Singer still makes. I found both parts on eBay, and want to get some bobbins (shuttles) before I try to put it all together. Worst case scenario, I'll do it myself with manuals downloaded from the internet :rolleyes: Thanks for your advice and comments--very much appreciated,Laura

Oh... my misunderstanding. I thought you were looking for the parts. More carefully reading your original post and this last follow-on, I see you need someone to assemble it for you. Sorry I cannot help.Good luck,Bil :senile:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More