Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tolsen

More power out of your Cdi - for free!

302 posts in this topic

This is a mod I did about 4 months ago. There has always been some oil collecting in intercooler and the usual sweating of oil where TIK pipe connects to turbo compressor. The wee engine will breathe much easier if this oil wetting the intercooler and inlet ducting could be eliminated. This oil is oil vapour from engine breather pipe. The oil vapour enters inlet ducting at TIK pipe before turbo. Oil vapour condenses in intercooler and collects at its bottom near the inlet air temperature sensor. This oil wets the internal surfaces of intercooler and inlet ducts effectively reducing the bores thereby partly strangling the engine.

Solution:

Fit an air/oil separator or oil catch tank. I am still researching the air/ oil separator option and may fit one at a later date. The easy solution is ducting the breather pipe to the mother of all catch tanks as seen in below sketch and photos:

Posted Image

Breather pipe is ducted overboard like on old farm tractors.

Posted Image

Engine breather pipe is cut in two. Upper part is connected to a plastic hose and ducted overboard. Other end at TIK pipe is connected to an air filter monitor or it can be left blanked off. Important point: Any blanking piece has to be such designed that it can not dislodge itself and enter turbo compressor wheel.

Posted Image

Environmentalists among you may frown. Yes, there will be a drop of oil or two entering the environment now and then. Totally negligible compared the millions of litres of chainsaw bar oil poured annually into the environment by the Canadian timber industry.

Posted Image

Air filter monitor. Will indicate when vacuum exceeds 5 kPa.

Does engine run better and is there more power?

Yes a lot better and noticeably more power. I did not flush out intercooler and inlet ducting prior to doing this mod as too much work involved. I removed and cleaned TIK pipe and drained oil from intercooler. I therefore only noticed the improvement gradually especially after two months of driving and self-cleaning. For an instant improvement you will have to remove the whole inlet ducting system and flush out all oil and dirt etc.

THEORETICALLY, I went through many iterations of a catch tank before finally giving up and dumping the crankcase fumes to atmosphere as you have done, TK. My smartie has THEORETICALLY had more-or-less this same setup as yours (without the fancy filter monitor) for nearly 4 years, so I expect my inlet piping and intercooler matrix is pretty much dry and clear.Though I'm not sure to what degree I would call this a plus-power mod in my THEORETICAL case. I consider it more of an anti-carbonizing tactic.Be aware though, that this is a patently illegal mod in Canada as it is tampering with the emissions control systems.Bil :senile:

What do you mean by THEORETICAL CASE Bil? You mean yours is only on paper?This mod is completely reversible and existing system can quickly be reinstated prior to any mandatory vehicle emission and safety test.I have given up sourcing a suitable air/ oil separator. All commercially available air/ oil separators are too big and too expensive.The power gain in my case was phenomenal. Most likely because the inlet duct was very well covered in oil and gunk prior to the modification. The fluid coming out of breather pipe does also contain steam, a product of the combustion process. Water mixed with oil forms gunk. Gunk sticks to the walls of inlet ducting - just like arteries blockage before suffering a cardiac arrest.I am working on a tiny cyclone type air/ oil separator. Prototype tests so far are very promising. Oil will be separated out and drained back to sump via a branch fitted on lower part of dipstick pipe

What do you mean by THEORETICAL CASE Bil? You mean yours is only on paper?

I was using the "Ironica" font, similar to "Sarcastica" but used primarily in public postings which could otherwise be construed as evidence of criminal behaviour ;) Turning admission of an actual infraction into ironically humourous comments of a "theoretical" nature. #FAIL, I guess...

I am working on a tiny cyclone type air/ oil separator. Prototype tests so far are very promising. Oil will be separated out and drained back to sump via a branch fitted on lower part of dipstick pipe

Interesting... we'll watch this space for further developments.

I was using the "Ironica" font, similar to "Sarcastica" but used primarily in public postings which could otherwise be construed as evidence of criminal behaviour ;) Turning admission of an actual infraction into ironically humourous comments of a "theoretical" nature. #FAIL, I guess... Interesting... we'll watch this space for further developments.

I never thought the Royal Mounted Police would come and arrest you when admitting to committing a minor criminal offence on a Smart forum. Bloody good there's a wide pond between us.

Interesting, when I was addressing the possibility of an EGR blocking plate I also considered a plug for the TIK pipe where the CCV tubing connects....now coincidentally I occasionally hear a high pitched whistle like an air leak near the engine....weird.Oh, and on a completely unrelated matter my neighbour puts more oil on his bicycle chain than came out of the BP well in the Gulf. :P

Hi,

Interesting mod. It looks to serve the same purpose as the old Positive Crankcase Valve (PCV). Would this mod prevent the infamous Turbo damage??

I would definitely recirculate the fumes back into the oil pan somehow (maybe through the dip stick pipe as mentionned), the mod going directly outside is something that would probably get caught by an emissions mechanic during the regular emmission testing. But, I don't think that it would be something that would be caught during a police pull over (although I have seen it happen after a bunch of classic cars were pulled over for emissions compliance right after a car show).

Bob

One solution is to use engine subframe as a combined cooler and collection tank. A few holes need be sealed no doubt.

You guys sure that oil doesn't lubricate the turbo in any way?

Edited by Coast Steve

I would definitely recirculate the fumes back into the oil pan somehow (maybe through the dip stick pipe as mentionned), the mod going directly outside is something that would probably get caught by an emissions mechanic during the regular emmission testing. But, I don't think that it would be something that would be caught during a police pull over (although I have seen it happen after a bunch of classic cars were pulled over for emissions compliance right after a car show).

Not in Ontario, the emissions testing is a joke, the guy just walked outside to where the car was idling, looked at the tailpipe, walked back in and charged me $40.00.CANMAN

Same here. They let the car run for 5 minutes at an idle. If no smoke was coming from the tailpipe, you pass :huh:$40 please :angry:

Yeah I asked the guy when I had to get my first emissions done, if he was going to put it on the machine? He's like nope all "I do is look for smoke", I said to the guy "wow I could do that at home and spare myself the money, what a joke Brit, Mathieu and Marty Car :D

I doubt this makes a measurable difference to power.....it's been shown time and again that the intake system of the car is capable of flowing much more air than is needed in the standard state of tune....

Who peed in your corn flakes this morning :DWell if the intake system was choked, none of the remaps would produce more power.Tinkering with stuff is all very well, but it seems to me that this modification should be advertised as a means of reducing oily deposits in the intake tract, not as a method to produce more power.

What is well proven is that fitting free flow air filters does not give any noticeable improvements, only accelerated engine wear and most likely reduced air flow (*). Same applies to delipping air intake.

The inlet duct including intercooler gets choked due to deposits of oil and gunk. Stop this and you get an engine that breathes better. How much free power you get depends on the how choked the ducting was before the mod. Those of you that have cleaned their intercoolers will know that the amount of oil and gunk can be considerable. My engine has also a blanked off supply to EGR so no more soot. I have owned my Cdi since 2002 and can assure you that the engine has never run better. I used to see some smoke when accelerating. No more smoke after this mod. Try it out yourself and see if you get any improvement.

*) See thread on Smarz forum.

This is certainly not "free" power. If everyone chose to do mods like this, our children would have lots to thank us for. :blink:

Your gas lawn mower emits more pollutants in that 45 minute run once a week than this one little change would add to your smart's emissions in its entire lifetime.

Tolsen,Will a compressed air water seperator used to dry the air for spray painting work?Campbell Hausfeld type costs around $ 30.00, you can gauge the size by looking at the standard air line couplings in photo.CANMANpost-9481-1303695289_thumb.jpg

Same style of intercooler is used on gas powered smart turning out a whack more rpm's and moving a lot more air - I would hazard to guess the increase in performance would be hard if not impossible to measure - aside from the seat of the pants (popular with the 6 1/2 gear crowd) measurements is there any hard figures? ;) Also it would be good if you could include a small container under the spigot with a sponge in it - save those annoying little drips on the concrete parking areas and if emptied once in a while would prove to be environmentally better.As far the cyclonic seperator - I think VW already has this so a trip to the autowreckers might save some posterior and head scratching.Cheers,Cameron

People still have gas lawn mowers?!?

Oil Landing on the road vs oil being burnt into the atmosphere... Which do you argue is better?

Oil Landing on the road vs oil being burnt into the atmosphere... Which do you argue is better?

The oil leak will have only a "very modest" environmental impact.

The oil leak will have only a "very modest" environmental impact.

Positive or negative?Oil goes to atmosphere or road, ends up in the same place more or less.Engine and components last longer before ending up in landfill, a good thing, right?The drips on your driveway are the only negative impact I see.