Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tolsen

More power out of your Cdi - for free!

302 posts in this topic

So are you saying that your smart cdi has a spotless EGR and intake? Because it would honestly be the first one like that of which I've heard. The dealership was actually surprised that my EGR went 80,000 Km before showing signs of sticking and blockage.

130K km on my EGR, no worries. Yet. The engine runs better than ever, better than the 22K km example in the white car (which may still be tight).

So... blame the owner, not the design. The cdi idles too low. How do we operate the car differently so that it idles at a higher RPM?Beg to differ - oil vapours are entirely normal in this car, in this climate, with this fuel, at mfgr spec.

So... blame the owner, not the design. The cdi idles too low. How do we operate the car differently so that it idles at a higher RPM?Beg to differ - oil vapours are entirely normal in this car, in this climate, with this fuel, at mfgr spec.

I agree fully. Blowby from engines is normal and my blowby from my Cdi is no worse now than in 2002. Compression readings were perfect and even between cylinders. My EGR valve is clean and there are no EGR related DTCs. My engine has clocked 149,000 km on same EGR valve but is on the second turbo.A few drops of oil onto the road cause no harm. The oil is eaten and broken down by microbes.

A few drops of oil onto the road cause no harm. The oil is eaten and broken down by microbes.

The tragedy of the commons.

No worry on that account. The Federal Cons and the BC Provincial Libs are busy converting "the commons" into corporate properties ;)

I don't need to top up between oil changes. Loose no more than 3 - 4 dl per 8000 km which is my normal oil change interval. The timber industry is the real polluter. My Partner chainsaw consumes 1 litre of bar oil per hour when I work it hard.

Posted Image

Perhaps we should ban all logging unless cut the old fashioned manual way?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just after the first modern chain saws became available an old French Canadian logger came into the Co-Op for supplies & was told he could throw his old crosscut two man saw away the new "Chain saw" would increase his output 5 times....he happily paid & scampered away with his new modern purchase.A month later he was back & angrily threw the saw down,"Dis ting is a piece of junk... me wit my buddy & the old crosscut could cut twice the wood we cut wit dis new fancy rig!I want me money back!!!"The clerk curious as to what the matter could be reached down & tugged the starting cord....the old guy jumped back & exclaimed "MonDieu wats dat noise!!!"

Edited by strawboss

The timber industry is the real polluter.

The old straw man argument, nice try.... but if you want to go there, how about North Sea Oil drilling off Scotland?In any case, spilling oil drops on the surface of the road is not good, it has been recognised since 1966 in legislation in North America, and there is no getting around that, try as you may.

Like I said, a simple open-topped catch canister with a reusable sponge that I can wring into my waste oil containers sounds like a good idea. But straw men or not, most cars leak more oil from other sources than this drop out the breather every few Kilometres. Heck, I imagine tire wear on our little smarts contributes more petroleum waste to the environment than a single drop of oil every few Km. In 80,000 Km I've gone through my two pairs of summer rears, my first pair of summer fronts and a full set of winters.

Like I said, a simple open-topped catch canister with a reusable sponge that I can wring into my waste oil containers sounds like a good idea ...

Hmm... a soup tin and a coat hanger. #SOLVED! ;)

I am not blaming the owner...I am trying to say that time spent diverting the blowby is time wasted, a much better fix is taking care of the reason for the blowby, I have tons of experience with diesels, and witnessed many a clogged intake and egr valve on VW tdi engines. I have seen dry intakes with a coffee cup full of dry carbon that get lots of fuel conditioner and regular oil changes with recommended oil and I have seen wet messes that would fill three cups and egr valves plugged and sticking shut off plates causing no starts from abused cars. A good fix for vw diesels is the total seal rings when rebuilding, and good fuel that has some form of cetane enrichment/condtioner. I have person experience with these motors for 1.5 million kms in 6 cars so far plus working on them reguarily at work. I don't know what my egr looks like yet in smart, it is barely over 16000kms so far. The owner can limit the build up through maintenace and driving habits if they so wish...take off your oil cap with the engine running, will the cap stay put with a slight dance on the valve cover or gets shot off by pressure? old school way to know the engines health.I would consider getting a remap with a higher idle first, it seems much smoother at 950 rpm then stock, mine really bounces around at factory idle when cold +- 150rpms. Should be very simple but I am not into the tuner crowd for the smart and don't know who is making their own remaps yet, I have 6 months left on warranty to go before I even consider that stuff. This is my first diesel that does not have a smooth rock steady idle.

This is my first diesel that does not have a smooth rock steady idle.

Mine is rock steady, always has been....I'd suggest having the dealer see what they can do before the warranty expires in 6 months.

Same here, both my cars, one with 195,000 km, have super steady idles.

... I have tons of experience with diesels .... I would consider getting a remap with a higher idle first, it seems much smoother at 950 rpm then stock, mine really bounces around at factory idle when cold +- 150rpms... This is my first diesel that does not have a smooth rock steady idle.

Less than a few milligrams of experience perhaps? There is nothing wrong with idle speed setting of the Cdi engine. Yours obviously has a problem most likely EGR related. Suggest you clean out EGR valve, intercooler and inlet manifold. Blank off exhaust supply to EGR valve when refitting.

Posted Image

In any case, spilling oil drops on the surface of the road is not good, it has been recognised since 1966 in legislation in North America, and there is no getting around that, try as you may.

I posed the question, I am surprised to hear such a cut and dry answer that oil in the atmosphere is better than oil on the road. (What is asphalt?)

So if you guys watch your idle on the scanguage (not the tach), it doesn't move around from 750-900 rpms when the engine is cold? Mine does until hot...

So if you guys watch your idle on the scanguage (not the tach), it doesn't move around from 750-900 rpms when the engine is cold? Mine does until hot...

Mine is always needle-steady at about 850 cold/hot.

I posed the question, I am surprised to hear such a cut and dry answer that oil in the atmosphere is better than oil on the road. (What is asphalt?)

LOL, that's my personal opinion as well. The net pollution is the same. Unless routing this waste oil vapour through the combustion chamber results in the net output of nothing but pure air, the point is moot. The net pollution and carbon remain the same, but burning the oil (and the other compounds in the vapour) disperses this pollution more widely into the environment than releasing a droplet of oil every few kilometres of asphalt.

Seriously, a waste oil droplet being deposited every few kilometres along a continuous ribbon made up of what is essentially just slightly less than a googol of oil droplets? If you ask me, TK is actually sequestering the waste oil and pollutants from the wider environment.

The Puget Sound Water Authority in King County Washington had a stunning set of ads about this several years ago. Anyone who knows the slightest thing about water pollution and drainage from roads would not agree that it doesn't matter.