Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tolsen

More power out of your Cdi - for free!

302 posts in this topic

Warm and level, after sitting for a few minutes, high side of the marks. I fill to 2/3 up, I would top up at 1/2 but it is due for it's 5K oil change before then.

If this method recovers 7/10ths of a liter on a typical engine, what is the quality of the oil being recovered?If it has been vaporized, would it not be beginning to break down and not of a quality that we want to add back to the engine....Just a thought

Some of the blow-by is likely fuel that gets by pistons and valve guides, especially on older engines. And some may be oil due to overfilling or ?? I doubt the oil has broken down, but you are likely correct that the collected liquid (if condensed) might not be something that should be retained in the engine and that is probably why they chose to burn it. A separator will only separate out the liquid. Vapours are still sent to the air intake where they will be burned. It would then be best if the separator is close to the vent so that fuel and other vapour does not condense out.I would think that there would be more blow-by on older engines and perhaps that is part of reason why Tolsen collected more than the expected change in oil level?Question for Tolsen - Is there a PCV or similar valve in the line to or from your cyclone? On my '85 300D turbodiesel, the valve cover vent goes direct to a simple separator in the center of the air cleaner. Separated liquid drains out bottom of separator back to sump and vapours mix with air upstream of turbo and are burned. (On my car the outlet is blocked and I collect the liquid which "looks" to be engine oil) It seems that Tolsens mod will achieve similar result.

There is no PCV or check valve; it comes straight from the valve cover to the TIK pipe a few inches from the turbo inlet.

There is no PCV or check valve; it comes straight from the valve cover to the TIK pipe a few inches from the turbo inlet.

I should really just look at car, but my wife is always out in it! I had seen this article:http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/fortw...e-breather.htmlDoes that apply to the gas engine?

Graham: Yes, that is the gas engine. Apparently the breather inserts downstream of the turbo, so a one-way valve is needed to prevent boost pressure from entering the crankcase. This is good, keeping the breather vapours away from the turbo, intercooler, EGR, fuel injectors, etc, but not sure how you manage a long grade under full throttle the whole way up.Gas engines off full throttle run at a considerable vacuum, so most gas engines insert the crank case vapours downstream of the throttle plate. Turbodiesels are a very different beast, at even moderate throttle levels you have positive pressure everywhere after the turbo, so the breather must enter before the turbo.

The oil that is collected by the cyclone separator is probably partly refined so would be good for the engine. Perhaps I should bottle the collected oil and sell it? I have recently learned that the Landrover Discovery has a similar cyclone where separated oil is returned to sump. This separator may be adapted to fit the Cdi as it is rather compact and more importantly very cheap (around 12 GBP incl p&p).My engine is not much worn. Compression readings done last fall were spot on and even. It has only clocked slightly above 150,000 km and now runs better than ever and is more economical, especially after the recent spring clean. Perhaps the reason why I collect a rather large quantity of oil is that I always fill up to the max mark. May run some tests at a later date to verify if collection rate drops significantly with oil level. Is the high collection rate not proof that the cyclone separator works as intended I wonder? It certainly works much better than I ever hoped it would.

There's your problem, don't fill to the maximum mark.

The high collection rate is certainly proof positive that Tolsen has yet again done a bang-up job on refining some of the engineering oversights on the CDI! Well done.The amount collected MAY be an indication that the unsubstantiated theory that an oil level to the max line produces more oil in the crankcase breather vapours. It's a good theory, but without empirical data remains only that and nothing more. I like test data.

I have recently learned that the Landrover Discovery has a similar cyclone where separated oil is returned to sump. This separator may be adapted to fit the Cdi as it is rather compact and more importantly very cheap (around 12 GBP incl p&p).

Is this the one? Wonder what it looks like on inside?

Posted Image

Wow, that certainly does look compact! If the bores of the "gas" inlet and outlet are close to those on the smart's breather, it may work well. Where did you pull that up?

I think I'll order one to try out -- there are a few on ebay.co.uk -- but the tubing layout is sloppy for our purposes. I'll still build my own, but if the Rover version works, that could be an effective solution for others.

I think I'll order one to try out -- there are a few on ebay.co.uk -- but the tubing layout is sloppy for our purposes. I'll still build my own, but if the Rover version works, that could be an effective solution for others.

Also check with the parts dep't of an official Land Rover dealer in your region. Cost may be more but save on shipping and duty. I've emailed Land Rover in Vancouver too.There's one in Bougainville and another in Laval.Bil :senile:

Wow, that certainly does look compact! If the bores of the "gas" inlet and outlet are close to those on the smart's breather, it may work well. Where did you pull that up?

From rimmerbros (see Bill's link) But should be available here, I would imagine.To use these, presume we need to cut into oil diptube? Or is there an alternative (just collect the oil?)

duplicate.sameguy - I have been following it in part. Your post doesn't answer my question. What are the options?

Edited by Graham

We've been discussing plumbing it to the dipstick guide tube, or collecting it in a can. :)

We've been discussing plumbing it to the dipstick guide tube, or collecting it in a can. :)

I think I would want to have a spare before I cut the diptube! Wife would be very unhappy is she lost use of her little car ;) I collect the oil on my MB diesel, so maybe that's the way to go, especially if oil could contain fuel.

I would be inclined to pipe it back to the dipstick. The volume of oil collected will require emptying a can too often for me, and I might forget and that would be bad.As well, the return pipe can be copper tubing and run along the engine block to keep the oil fluid, whereas a collection can will likely be more remotely mounted and its line prone to freezing in the winter. Also bad.YMMV ;)B :senile:

Yeah, me too. Priced at €22 in Europe, but $57 here.

Less than 35 CAD from Landyworld inclusive of delivery to Canada. This cyclone separator is very compact but will still be a tight fit. Its outlet is in wrong orientation and need be modified. It also appears to contain an internal PCV valve. This valve is not required on the Smart Cdi.

Posted Image

It is held on with one bolt on the Landrover, through hole lined with metal piece seen in above photo. I think there is sufficient space to fit this cyclone a wee bit further away to the left just above and somehow clamped to EGR actuator. It cannot be supported solely on the hoses.

Don't go ahead and order any of these yet. I'll have a close look at one and perhaps do some measurements so I can make up a dimensional sketch.

Nice one, TK. From Landyworld: "These breathers are fitted to the side of the rocker cover and are a common failure point. They block up and cause the engine to suck oil back into the air intake."Hmm...B :senile:

Nice one, TK. From Landyworld: "These breathers are fitted to the side of the rocker cover and are a common failure point. They block up and cause the engine to suck oil back into the air intake."Hmm...B :senile:

A farmer friend has a Landrover Discovery that has the cyclone separator fitted. Like most Scottish farmers, he only practices breakdown maintenance but his cyclone separator is still functional despite 12 years of neglect.There is a good Landrover garage in Banchory where I live. I'll inquire about its reliability when I visit to check out the Landrover cyclone.

Less than 35 CAD from Landyworld inclusive of delivery to Canada.

Posted Image

12 pounds each or 19.2 CAD each if you order 5 cyclone separators as you then qualify for free shipping. Obviously there will be taxes to be paid which will somewhat increase costs.