Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quirky1

car2go Announcement

31 posts in this topic

Green transportation! Excellent, they're giving bicycles away? ;)

More information: car2go Comes to Canada.

A network of 225 fuel-efficient, low-emission smart "car2go edition" vehicles will be available to Vancouver car2go members as of June 2011. Starting today until May 29, 2011, Vancouver residents can pre-register for their car2go membership without having to pay the registration fee (a $35 CAD value) at www.car2govancouver.com using Promo Code: VAN, or in person at the car2go office at 45 Water Street in the Gastown area of downtown Vancouver.

Edited by quirky1

Daimler AG : car2go Marks 100 Days of Operations in Vancouver with More than 5,000 Members and 40,000 Rentals.

car2go launched in Vancouver in June with more than 1,000 rentals per week. Today the average number of car2go rentals per week has increased to more than 4,000. The average rental time is between 30 and 50 minutes, and the average distance driven in a car2go is between 8 and 10 kilometres. The operating area for car2go was expanded in September 2011 and now reaches more than 300,000 residents of Vancouver.

Thanks for the hubcaps guys!!They are doing well obviously. With an 8 foot long car, more and more people are finding out why the smart is indispensible in the city.

Apparently too popular for some people who are complaining about car2go vehicles taking up on-street residential parking space.

As a 4000 km/year cyclist, I can say that I would NEVER ride a bike in Paris. I hate riding in cities.

Okay, so I joined car2go for free today.... just google car2go vancouver promo code... there's a bit of time left.... then you will pay $35 to join

Here's there blurb on shifting, which should cause a few chuckles:

Shifting.

Selecting the best gear for your driving conditions is important. With the smart fortwo you have the option of both automatic and manual shifting. For automatic shifting, ensure the gear shift is tilted toward the right. Simply shift normally by pressing the brake and pushing in the shift lever button to shift gears.

For manual driving, starting in the “D” drive position move the floor-mounted lever to the left and push forward (+) to upshift or pull back (-) to downshift. To exit manual mode, move the shift lever back to the right.

I plan on using car2go within the next 10 days. People I know who are using think it is the best thing for Vancouver long term.... The service area will expand as well in due course.

You won't be able to rent a car like the one on the left below, but I do wonder if they will mount snow tires if it's really bad this season?? I guess I should read the FAQ.

Just need to call ICBC in the AM and get my driver's record e-mailed to them

post-43-1320400679_thumb.jpg

OK that's just sad, quoting the cdi fuel consumption figures on the Car2go page. Egad!

You have to wonder... Car2Go is a Daimler venture. Wouldn't they know WTH they're renting? As an aside, the first Leafs have hit the streets with Communauto here, the oldest and largest car share program in North America (some 25000 members and 1400 cars including some 15 Leafs -- of 50 planned -- so far).

I can't wait until car2go has smart electrics... I hope that is in their plans. It will be interesting to see how they control where the end the rentals on those.

I can't wait until car2go has smart electrics... I hope that is in their plans. It will be interesting to see how they control where the end the rentals on those.

From what I've read, it's been the plan all along.

Source (quoted with added bolding)

The innovative mobility concept car2go was developed by Daimler AG in 2008. Today, with a total of more than 45,000 members and 1,100 vehicles worldwide, car2go has proven success in four cities: Ulm and Hamburg in Germany, the Texan capital Austin in the US and Vancouver in Canada. Three other cities are announced yet: Lyon (France), Amsterdam (Netherlands) and San Diego (USA). In Amsterdam and San Diego car2go will start operations before the end of 2011 with full-electric fleets of 300 car2go smart fortwo electric drive vehicles in each city. Since the first launch in the southern German city of Ulm in March 2009, more than 900,000 trips have been made and approximately 9 million kilometres have been covered.

There you go.....My membership was confirmed this afternoon. I'll receive 30 minutes of rental time free, and hope to use it in a couple weeks from now.

car2go Poised For Growth in Vancouver This Spring

car2go Canada Ltd...announced today it will expand its Vancouver, B.C. operations to meet the growing needs of its more than 10,000 members. Beginning in mid-April, 100 car2go edition smart fortwo cars will be added to the car2go carsharing network, the car2go Home Area will expand, and new car2go parking spots will be secured, including eight new spots on the University of British Columbia campus.Additionally, car2go will begin a pilot with several smart fortwo electric drive vehicles to determine further development of electric carsharing in Vancouver.

I need to try out my 30 minutes of free time soon!If I lived and worked in Vancouver, I would hard pressed to own a fleet of cars..... the rental by the minute option is way too convenient. I mean, smarts are cheap to lease, but even still, you are talking $2500 a year for the car, $500 maintenance, $1700 insurance, and maybe $1000 on gas? Plus parking. $6,000 or more......You can rent a lot of car for half that money in a year.

Car2Go has a slightly optimistic estimate of 70 HP 451 fuel consumption. It sounds suspiciously like that of the old 450 cdi ;) And why are they citing Keith's site?!?

They really ought to be more careful about the facts. This is worse than the old 90 g of carbon dioxide per km info in the 450 cdi brochures/website info in Canada (which was also wrong, using Transport Canada figures).