Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

Sombra car show

21 posts in this topic

The Optimists are sponsoring a car show ''on the beautiful shores of the St.Clair River in Port Lambton''Mike Hendrycks has sent us an invite and I thought it would be a great opportunity to show off our smarts and take in a day in a beautiful setting, and we would be helping out the Optimists.There is a small ($10 entry fee)ps.(May 18) Mike has generously offered to handle the registration so the fee will be waived. However we do have to promise to eat lots of burgers and drink beer :D Mercedes Benz of London will be giving a trophy for a peoples choice in the smart Car division.Sign up list:01. Lilbit (Glenn & Liz)02.03.04.05.06.07.08.09.10

post-35-1305463757_thumb.jpg

post-35-1305463777_thumb.jpg

...looks like a good one Glenn; and not too far away.Unfortunately (:crying:) , it's also Father's Day weekend and we're already booked into the Pinery for the annual start-of-the-camping-season trip (with the micro-bus).Can't wait to see your pictures though....MZ

Sign up list:01. Lilbit(Glenn & Liz)02. Leadwing or Silverwing (Ron & Dot)03.04.05.06.07.08.09.10

Looks awesome, sadly if I'm not going to Montreal that weekend, Micro North is on at the same time :( If any thing changes I may be signing up :DBrit, Mathieu and Marty Car :D

Hey FolksWhat time is everybody going to show up. I got a new job which is working nights so Elaine & I would love to come but it wouldn,t be till the afternoonJohn

I am e-mailing the organizer with a few questions, one of them being "What time should we show up?"When I get an answer, I'll post it here.Ron :bike:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I received an answer tonight and it read in part, as follows:

If you pre-register, its $10. To register the day of show its $15.

The car show starts at 8:00am. Your friends that can't make it in the morning are still welcome to join us. Judging is at 3:00pm sharp.

There are 2 hotels I would recommend:

1. Bogey's Inn in Sombra. They are beautiful, clean rooms right on the St. Clair River. The phone number is 519-867-3999 www.bogeysinn.com

I can mail you a brochure if you like.

2. Oak's Inn in Wallaceburg.

519-627-1433 www.oaksinn.net

Ron :bike:

Edited by Leadwing

Hi all!

If you are coming as a club it is 10 dollars for the first car and 5 for the rest and because you are helping out my club I will take care of the registerations .

I know you will be eating my burgers, and peameal bacon on a bun and beer, oh did i mention beer. :D

Sign up list:01. Lilbit (Glenn & Liz)02. Leadwing or Silverwing (Ron & Dot)03. Mike & Susan04.05.06.07.08.09.10

7TH ANNUAL SOMBRA TOWNAHIP OPTIMISTS CAR SHOW

SATURDAY, JUNE, 18, 2011, 8:00AM - 8:00PM

BRANDER PARK on the shore of St. Clare river in Port Lambton, Ontario, Canada

Judging is at 3:00pm sharp.

Rain or Shine

Participant’s Choice Awards at 2:00pm

First 100 to Register will receive a Dash Plaque

Door Prizes, Penny Tables, Vendors

Home built soapbox races

Coffee, Cold Drinks, Peaneal and Cheese on a bun, Oktoberfest and Sauerkrout on a bun, Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Beer!

01. Lilbit (Glenn & Liz)

02. Leadwing or Silverwing (Ron & Dot)

03. Mike & Susan

04. WAYCOOLROLLERS B) Brenda & Robert, The Woodstock Smarties

Sign up list:01. Lilbit (Glenn & Liz)02. Leadwing or Silverwing (Ron & Dot)03. Mike & Susan04. WAYCOOLROLLERS Brenda & Robert, The Woodstock Smarties05. Adelaide J ( Elaine & John ) Be there early afternoon06.07.08.09.10

Questions about the car show: Will we be parked in a parking lot or on a grassy area? Will we be in the sun or the shade? This way we can plan ahead for the day :D

Questions about the car show: Will we be parked in a parking lot or on a grassy area? Will we be in the sun or the shade? This way we can plan ahead for the day :D

I checked the site via Vpike (similar to google street level maps) and there are trees and grass, but I have never actually been to the park, so I don't know the layout that the show organizers are planning.

Hi all!!!Yes there are lots of trees. A paved walk path that cars park on both sides along the river side . We will have vendors, penny tables, DJ for music, and a band. Bring your cameras for those shots of the big freighters in the background.There will be a duck race for 500 dollars, but we are all sold out . And for us smarties, Mercedes Benz of London will be giving a trophy for a peoples choice in the smart Car division.I will be going to a Car Show meeting tonight so I can let you know if there is any thing new.And don't forget to bring lawn chairs!

Sign up list:01. Lilbit (Glenn & Liz)02. Leadwing or Silverwing (Ron & Dot)03. Mike & Susan04. WAYCOOLROLLERS Brenda & Robert, The Woodstock Smarties05. Adelaide J ( Elaine & John ) Be there early afternoon06. TANK (Dave & Lu)07.08.09.10What time are you heading out of London Glenn? Do we have to arrive together to be a club?

No you do not have to arrive as a club. Just let the register person know who you are and they will give you a welcome packet and find a spot to park . I will try to get a spot were all the smarts can be together.

On Saturday we plan to leave our house in Lambeth by 0830 for those interested in convoying.We are going to take the secondary roads thru Delaware and Glencoe, the leisurely route. :D

No you do not have to arrive as a club. Just let the register person know who you are and they will give you a welcome packet and find a spot to park . I will try to get a spot were all the smarts can be together.

Thats cool mike B) We are leaving at 5am from Woodstock, Ontario.[/font]

Here's the weather for today, looking pretty good!

Today Sunny this morning and early this afternoon then a mix of sun and cloud with 30 percent chance of showers this afternoon. Fog patches dissipating early this morning. High 26 except 21 near Lake Huron. UV index 9 or very high.

See ya there! :D

The weather was perfect and Mike was the ultimate host!What a great day!He had a special spot reserved for the smarts that was right on the river. We arived in the late morning and got to enjoy the peameal bacon on a bun that was prepared by guess who?Later we sampled the Belgian waffles that Mike's wife and daughter were selling. And later the beer tent was open with a live band.There were 126 cars entered and one of the most interesting was the 1914 Model T taxi.I really enjoyed the 1940 Ford pick up that was show room quality.I didn't take many pictures and the ones I took were of the smart cars!Thanks Mike!

post-35-1308518897_thumb.jpg

post-35-1308518937_thumb.jpg

post-35-1308518966_thumb.jpg

post-35-1308518986_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple more pics taken by Spike. The first one is a 1914 Ford Model T, Depot Hack or taxi. The second one is a tank retreival vehicle.

post-7529-1308531966_thumb.jpg

post-7529-1308531995_thumb.jpg