Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ginasmart

Help! Dead Battery and Doors Locked

18 posts in this topic

Help! The battery is dead in my 2006 smart and the doors are locked. The lock in the tailgate is seized since I don't think it has ever been used. Any ideas for how to get in so I can charge up the battery? Is there a battery cable somewhere accesable under the car that I can hook up a booster pack to so that there will be enough power to unlock the doors? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Depends, Do you have small hands?If you jack up the rear and put it on stands, don't go under it with just the jack supporting it.There is a finger sized cable which goes from the battery directly to the starter solenoid.I wouldn't use the clamp from the positive of the booster pack directly, use a small wire attached to it so you don't accidentally short out the booster, but the booster wire will attempt to charge the battery so it will start to get warm so don't leave it on for too long.CANMAN

Most cars have the starter solenoid always live for the positive, and any clean metal for the negative. I can't picture it in my mind whether you can easily reach it, though, it's up pretty high at the front of the engine. Maybe jacked up good and high. (Sitting stable on jack-stands or blocks, of course!) I would start with a soaking of the tailgate lock with penetrating oil and try to free it up.Expect a seized alternator if the battery is dead from sitting over the winter. :(

+1 soak the tailgate lock with penetrating oil. Not WD-40 but any hardware store or Canadian Tire will have penetrating oil.If you are stuck at home and can't get out to shop, mineral oil or fine machine oil like 3-in-1 will probably do the trick.B :senile:

1 person likes this

Take off a door panel and you could get the door open. :D

Thanks for the suggestions, I was wondering about the starter wire. I will try that tonight.

Though I've never used it, I was told that my 2009 smart has a keyhole for just that sort of situation. It's located by the door handle, a little round thingy which will pop out so the key can be inserted. As I said, I've never tried it on mine and apparently the earlier smarts never had it, but it would be the solution to your problem. Good luck.

Earlier smarts had it on the tailgate and it was open to the elements - the one on the 451 has a nifty little cover that fits in the key slot to keep the elements out and the key working. With a bit of whittling the 451 (Key Lock insert (451) - 451-727-00-88 - cover - $3.31 trade price retail slightly more) fits the 450 rear hatch with minor whittling - looks good too and keeps the lock working when you need it most!Cheers,Cameron

Well I don't think anyone could get there hand in at the starter wire, it is way up in behind. I was able to get the lock in the hatch freed up with lots of penetrating oil and work. Tried charging the battery but that didn't work time for a new one.Mike.

Glad you got in!I bend my key the other day trying to open the rear... Time to grease that bugger...

I bend my key the other day trying to open the rear... Time to grease that bugger...

If I was a comedian, I could probably work with that material ;)

Stealing from your idea, just having small wires with a connector for a battery charger at this location would also help in this case..

In the future, after a lube, a small circle cut from black electrical tape will protect/semi-hide the rear lock

In the future, after a lube, a small circle cut from black electrical tape will protect/semi-hide the rear lock

The plastic lock protection disk from a 451 can also be used. It has a stub that fits into the key slot. IIRC, it has to be shaved a bit to fit the 450 but otherwise :thumbup:This should be dirt-cheap from the dealership.Bil :sun:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used this forum for info, so, my simple story, completely dead dead dead battery, car locked, tailgate / trunk lock does not work (never used before) , many many tries, zero, then i started thinking, is this also a eletric lock? This doesn't make any sense, like , know i have to brake a window or something, so, a little search and found this post. Sprayed a lot of WD40 and another lube spray, waited about 4/5 hours and it's done, just push the Key inside and rotate right. Hope this info help someone, like the info in this forum helped me, it's kinda difficult find info about this matter. 

Sorry about my lame English.

Best regards to everybody!

Alberto. Portugal (EU)

Smart 450 / Petrol engine (May / 2006)

Edited by albertorodrigues
Just bad english :)

On 27/05/2011 at 3:27 AM, bilgladstone said:

+1 soak the tailgate lock with penetrating oil. Not WD-40 but any hardware store or Canadian Tire will have penetrating oil.If you are stuck at home and can't get out to shop, mineral oil or fine machine oil like 3-in-1 will probably do the trick.B :senile:

This, this was the one, simple thing but life changer, thanks mate! :D:D

2 people like this

He moved on to the place where smarts never break down but im sure he accepts your thanks

1 person likes this