Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lauragillis

Wont start

12 posts in this topic

Hi allI live in Okotoks Alberta and we just had 3 days of rain. When I went out to drive to work my 2005 smart diesel would not start? Everything else works. I get in turn the key to one glowplugs come on when they go off I turn the key and she trys to start. She trys for about 30 secs and then nothing? Is there someway I can fix this. I just had her into the dealership last week for a full tune up ( cost $401.00) and they said all is great. I had a look at the engine and I did notice that one of the wires going to the far left glow plug was lose so I pushed it in till it clicked. Sadly this did not fix the problem. Help ! :(

I absolutely hate it when, after a service by so-called professional technicians, I have to do something like reconnect a cable or something else basic that they overlooked! It's a sign of carelessness and I tend not to go back to that shop again because I'll never trust them again. What else did they miss that I can't see??In this spring weather, if the car turns over for 30 seconds, there is sufficient compression to ignite the fuel without the glow plugs, so it's probably not them at fault.If it can keep turning for 30 seconds, there is plenty of juice, so it's likely not a dying battery.So... fuel delivery? After the car has been sitting for awhile, if you you turn the key to position one (don't engage the starter) do you hear the fuel tank's low pressure pump running?Could be a fuel line blockage... at 6 years old, you would have had the fuel filter/water separator replaced by now, yes? Have you fueled up at a place other than your usual gas station lately? Is the tank full - or nearly empty? Just my first thoughts. YMMV.Bil :sun:

I just had it at the shop last week and they said they replaced the fuel filter. I drive her every day and never any trouble. I did fill her up at a different gas station (Petro Can) but drove home with no trouble. Just ran the battery over to Canaidan Tire and they said the Battery was good full charge and in great shape. When I turn the key to one I do not hear any sounds.

There are two fuel pumps: a low-pressure pump mounted in the fuel tank that lifts fuel from the tank up to the top of the engine; and a high-pressure pump mounted on the top of the engine that boosts the fuel to thousands of psi for delivery to the fuel rail and injectors.

When the car has been sitting overnight, the pressure in the fuel system drops and the low-pressure pump starts when you turn the key to position 1 to pressurize the fuel lines between the tank and the high-pressure pump so it can feed the engine. Once the engine is running, the low-pressure pump can switch off.

If you listen carefully, you should hear this pump hum. However, if the car has been running, or if you've cranked the starter already, the lines will now have been pressurized and the pump doesn't need to come on, so you won't hear anything.

Failure of either of these pumps will cease fuel delivery = no start.

Cadillacman's hypothesis is also possible. Does it seem to you that the engine cranks over at the same speed as it always has?

Also, inspect the rear engine ground strap and attachment points. Its a twisted cluster of bare copper wires and is quite vulnerable to corrosion. Poor grounding causes unpredictable electronic gremlins.

Have you tried boosting the battery from another car? I think it is still possible that you have a weak battery.

Good luck, cousin!

Bil :sun:

My 2005 G&K gasser recently started odd starting behavior culminating in today's refusal to start. A little history. A couple of months ago I noticed gas leaking onto the ground under my car. Turns out the hole G&K made to put a valve for their added evaporate system was leaking. My mechanics tried t o repair the leak but nothing seems to work. So we put a new seal on the valve, put it bck together and the car still runs great. However recently I had a little trouble starting. Nothing that turning the car off, waiting and restrying couldn't fix.Today, first start, the car started fine. I drove around, ran some errands. I stopped for lunch and after lunch the car would not start.When I turn the key to 1, I wait for the all of the instrument lights to go away and then I turn the key to 2. Well today the battery, oil and engine lights did not go away. And the car would not turn over. Battery tested fine but AAA Tried jumping, no dice. It does make that hum that I imagine is the fuel pump charging. I noticed my dome light is flashing at a steady pace. I tried removing the light and still the car would not start. I have my seat belt buzzer wires unplugged as well. While typing this out, I tried to star it again. It did the electrical whir/hum and then briefly make a noise like it was starting to turn over but then quit. The hum then went away and a second attempt to stawrt did not succeed. I turned the key to 0 and tried to start again. This time, no hum. Is it possible that it's the fuel pump or the alternator? Sounds like it may be the alternator?

Has the battery's condition been checked?

Yes it has Mike. Its great. Its a few months old (I bought it new) Optima Red Top.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Did an oil and plug change last night and the car started right up. Twice.

This morning, the car started. It also started the second time I tried it. Now, I get in it to go from one of my offices to the other and now it will not start again. Same symptoms as previously listed. Found the 700cc fuse layout on evilution. Going to check all the relevant fuses.

UPDATE: Just tried to start again and I hear an electrical whirr (like a starter) and a loud sucking or whoosing noise coming from the Fuel Pressure Regulator area. Could be the FPR or it could be the rail.

A possible problem diagnosis is that the fuel filter might be clogged/due for a change (as far as I know its the original to the car/from the factory filter) or it could the FPR has perished. Are these correct thoughts?

Edited by briand

The FPR had issues on the gas smarts - as did the in tank fuel pumps. Would explain the intermittent nature if the pump or regulator was iffy. Here is a link that might help for the fuel regulator - a cross match for one from an Audi - you might have better chance of getting one in the States.

FAQ 101 uprated fuel regulator

Evilution has similar information on his site too with VW numbers.

Fuel filter usually causes issues at higher speeds (engine will lean out then stall) rather than starting but could be the issue.

Cheers,

Cameron

Just a thought, remove the battery cables & wire brush the battery posts & inside of the terminals. Lead oxide is an insulator & I have seen this kind of intermittent problem caused by questionable power connections before.Good Luck!

Speedie: Thanks. I think you've helped rule out the in-tank fuel pump. FPR seems to be ok and I do have the 4.0bar Audi FPR if we need to replace the one the car came with. 42pilot: As I stated earlier, the battery is new (only a few months old) so there is no oxidation on the posts or the battery cables. I cleaned the inside of the cables before I installed the new battery. I did check the battery (first thing since I asked AAA to try to jump) and everything was ok. Thanks for your suggestion. My mechanic called and said that the fuse for the starter keeps blowing. I think this supports the posts about the alternator pulley locking up at the starter. Or it could just be a bad starter. I should know more in a few hours.