Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Francesco

Stainless EGR-replacement intercooler pipe

168 posts in this topic

Some people have already blocked or (electronically) disabled their EGR valves (or both) in order to prevent them from continuously fouling up, clogging, seizing (open or closed), and fouling the intake, valve-train and upper combustion chamber. Still others have done these things and have also undertaken the removal of the EGR mixer housing altogether. The pipe to replace the EGR can be simple, or it can be made up from standard silicone couplers, elbows and compatible alloy joiners, or ultimately can be a crafted alloy or stainless steel tube mated to the intake and inter-cooler with short silicone couplers.I found a great race shop that does (almost exclusively) custom stainless steel work with CNC and a top-notch mandrel. They are able to fab up a 304 stainless steel pipe for about $165 for the initial prototype, and about $125 each after that (depending on how many in the run), including two Vibrant silicone couplers (you supply the hose clamps). If I can guarantee 15 units they can make up a jig which should lower the cost a bit more. So for the first six it would be around $132 each including silicone couplers, plus shipping from Montreal. I get cheap FedEx Overnight, so anticipate about $15 almost anywhere FedEx delivers in Canada.At this time there are two of us; I'm hoping to at least get to six, but ideally 15 would lower the cost for each unit.If you are interested please post a reply here, PM me or email satguymtl@hotmail.com for more info or to hold a place.

If you are interested please PM me or email satguymtl@hotmail.com for more info or to hold a place.

Email sent, put me down for one!

With the mileage we get, it might be cheaper for me to drive it out to you. ;)

1. SameGuy (red) paid2. SMRTENUF (black) paid3. MightyMouseTech (black) paid4. Huronlad (black)5. Cadillacman (blue) paid6. Doc P (black) 7. metro-mike (blue) 8. pulsating (black) paid9. 10.11.12.13.14.15.

OK, the ball is rolling. Just as a FYI, my appointment is Tuesday the 14th of June at 10:00 am. If it goes well, they will likely crank out the run that morning and I can have them at FedEx later that afternoon or the next day.Let me know what colour silicone couplers so they can order them: Black, Blue or Red. If no answer it will be luck of the draw. ;)

I might be down for one.One big concern to do with engine movement/vibration, what are the silicone couplers and how confident are you that they will allow enough movement?If they are a bellows design they should be fine, I would be concerned if they are just a length of tubing. Our engines move a lot! I don't fancy finding a cracked manifold or intercooler after a year.

Isn't the IC bracketed to the engine? I know the EGR housing is.

I might be down for one.One big concern to do with engine movement/vibration, what are the silicone couplers and how confident are you that they will allow enough movement?If they are a bellows design they should be fine, I would be concerned if they are just a length of tubing. Our engines move a lot! I don't fancy finding a cracked manifold or intercooler after a year.

The intercooler is mounted to the engine/tranny, so there should be no movement.Also, I will take my couplers in black please!

I just posted this on the Club smart Québec forum, so I hope we can generate even more interest.

I would like to purchase one as well. Black couplers please. Thanks.

That's great! A couple more and I think I can get them to set up a jig.

I just spoke to the guys at the shop, and it should be no problem to get the couplers in any of the three colour choices on fairly short notice, so I will extend the colour deadline for new orders until next Thursday before closing time. They won't do a Jig with less than ten units, preferably more.Is anybody else interested? Alex?

Posted (edited) · Report post

My wife will have me nuts if I get one...so I'm a no.

Edited by Coast Steve

Great! What colour for the silicone couplers (~3" pieces of silicone tubing at each end to attach the pipe to the inter-cooler and the intake manifold)?

Great! What colour for the silicone couplers (~3" pieces of silicone tubing at each end to attach the pipe to the inter-cooler and the intake manifold)?

Black is fine. I also have the electronic EGR bypass - will I still just keep that attached?

I received a private message asking what else is needed to use this pipe in place of a the EGR mixer housing.

Just so we're all on the same page, you will need a small plate to block the EGR exhaust line to the mixer housing and two bolts and nuts. You could use the gasket that's already there between the new plate and the exhaust line.

You don't need the EGR Emulator circuit, though it does make for the tidiest installation. Alternatively, you could keep the solenoid from the EGR valve, but it will need some sort of spring to provide a bit of resistance to its plunger when the housing is gone, otherwise the ECU will throw a code. Here is one idea:

Posted Image

The piston travels 6.2 mm and you can use a flat screwdriver on it to gauge how much resistance it might take. Personally, I went for the circuit. :)

No problem.For those in southern and southwestern Ontario, there is a slight chance I'll be rolling through on or near Wednesday the 22nd of June, so I could bring the tubes with me and save you some shipping money. I'll let you know as the date gets closer.

OK, I'm going to have to wrap things up on this, as I'll be calling the shop tomorrow to give the final numbers. I was hoping to at least get to ten units. Right now we have eight committed; at ten the shop said they could possibly build a jig, which would lower the labour cost somewhat, lowering the price per unit. The estimated price at 5-9 units is approximately $132 each including two Vibrant silicone hose couplers in your choice of black, blue or red. You would supply the hose clamps, or I can get Vibrant stainless T-bolt clamps for about $8 each. I anticipate that shipping to most Canadian addresses that are on regular FedEx routes would be about $15, $20 at the most.

I have sent Private Messages to a couple of members who have expressed interest but not committed.

Please get back to me today if you would like to order this item. Starting tomorrow I'll be asking for an initial payment either by Paypal or Interac e-Transfer (preferred). I don't know the final price, but assuming we stay at eight units, expect the price to be $132 plus GST (5%) and QST (8.5%), so $150. If I can bargain with the shop any further, I will pass the savings along and charge for shipping appropriately.