Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Francesco

Stainless EGR-replacement intercooler pipe

168 posts in this topic

Just thinking out-loud...

If you delete the EGR, which is a good thing to do for performance, you will also need a blocking plate to block off the steel exhaust line going to the EGR body. I've also read that one can remove the steel line completely and use the blocking plate where the steel line comes out of the engine. If someone can make these, I'd be in for one or two.

Blocking plate design CLICK HERE, courtesy of our good friend Bil.

Edited by Utopiacdi

My EGR is still in place but I have the re-circulating pipe blocked with a plate like Utopiacdi mentions and I find no performance improvement. Instead the car is much slower to warm up even in summer temps so I will probably remove it come winter time.

I removed the EGR heat exchanger and blocked the line from the turbo. Like KurtMan, I find no performance gained, just less hoses back and forth in the engine compartment.Interesting to note that I did find my warm up time improved. While removing the heat exchanger, I deleted about 2-3ft of coolant hoses - around 350mL less coolant. May attribute to faster warm up time for me?

Edited by stickman007

Interesting how things vary from car to car :dunno: When I plugged in the emulator, there was a noticeable improvement in power and no more black smoke out the pipe. The car ran better than if the EGR had just been cleaned out... and still does!!But, I didn't put in a blocking plate at the EGR body. I read somewhere in the forums that the solenoid on the EGR body defaults to closed when power is removed. Obviously, to plug in the emulator, you unplug the cord from the solenoid on the EGR body, removing power and closing the valve inside. So the closed valve acts as my blocking plate.My point in my last post was that if you guys are going to totally remove the EGR, you will need to look at getting a blocking plate, too. You can't do one without the other. Eventually I will get around to deleting my EGR, too. But, without a blocking plate, I can't do it right now.

there is a member that made block off plates. i have one, looks flashy>

My thin-gauge aluminum blocking plate blew out this week, not too long after my exhaust blew the seam right below the catalytic chamber. I cut a new plate out of thicker aluminum (from 3/16" flat bar stock) and sourced a new EGR gasket from the dealership. I think it may have been leaking a while, because the car feels like it has a new engine. Peak boost is now in the low-17s psi, up from the low 16s over the last couple of months (and 13s after it let go!).

Hmm maybe I should take a look at mine to see if it is leaking at all (though of course now that I have joined the dark side and remapped too I feel like I have a whole new car, but that's for another thread), it has been a few years, though I am pretty sure I used a fairly think piece of aluminum in the first place.

mercedes declined warrantee on my 2006 last week with only 63500km on it. Purchased July 5, 2006. My EGR was blocked. SO-now have built egr delete pipe and purchased Emulator from Germany(exremely quick delivery) and have eliminated future problem for less than the 411.10 quoted for new egr valve.

Could you please let me know where you got the emulator?Thanks

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but I'd be in for a stainless bypass line if someone is fabbing them up still...

1. raversnet2. Blitz3. Turbomar4. krankshaft5. Bub6. Zlemonz7.rustyvolvo8.If the stainless EGR bypass pipes are still being planned count me in.

1. raversnet2. Blitz3. Turbomar4. krankshaft5. Bub6. Zlemonz7.rustyvolvo8. Frailbody1 ? He posted once, please confirm.9.Approaching critical mass here. Someone take this thing and make it happen. Not me, though. I don't believe the restriction from the EGR is enough to merit full removal, so I'm into the emulator but not the pipe. I do, however, support the desire of others for that shiny hunk of bling, so I'm watching this thread.