Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cloudseeker

Which of these used Smart cars would be the best?

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Back in the market for a used Smart car (bought a Honda Fit in 2008 instead), thanks for the experienced replies.I am needing to buy a Smart car ASAP, it will be towed on a trailer behind my motorhome (RV). The car will not be driven in winter climates, only in Texas, Arizona and California from September to May. I cannot imagine putting on more than 5,000 km (3,100 miles) a year on the vehicle. Each vehicle will be checked over by Mercedes Benz before buying.These cars are available right now, but I have very limited knowledge of Smart cars (more of a Honda guy really). Which would you select all things being equal? All prices are asking prices, OBO:2006 Smart Car Pulse Edition$7,40042,000 km (26,000 miles)Loaded (unknown to what extent)Glass sunroofMags, etc.2006 Smart Fortwo Pulse Coupe$9,50029,000 km (18,000 miles)Original owner, always serviced at MB.Moon roof, heated seats, AC, Clock/rev counter, outdoor temp, luggage cover, power locks, doors, windows, keyless entry, CD player2006 Smart Fortwo Convertible$8,70036,000 km (22,000 miles)Not air conditioned (might be a bonus as there is one less thing to need servicing/repair?)Mag wheels, slide out seat tray, seemed loaded other than AC.Stereo, mags etc2006 Smart Pulse Convertable$8,90043,000 km (27,000 miles)Loaded with AC, etc. 2006 Smart - Brabus Edition$8,400102,000 km (63,000 miles)Leather, upgraded knobs, peddles, trim. Chipped engine, MB approved. Always serviced at MB, Brabus wheels and winter tires on alloys. AC. Owned by an older person.

Edited by cloudseeker

How much hair do you have? Have you an aversion to wearing wide brimmed hats while driving?The cabrios all have black roofs and very iffy a/c systems. Opening the top is ok, but puts you in the sun.All pulses at least have paddle shifters. Don't buy a smart without them.I would be tempted to find a hardtop car with the opening glass sunroof if I was doing it again. Anything with a/c is a plus, but don't expect it to be able to freeze you if it even works at all.You didn't mention the colour of any of them. I know which colour is the best, but that was one of the reasons we selected our car. If by some miracle one of the cars is scratch black or numeric blue, buy that one and forget stream green. Oh, I guess that really gives it away. Sorry.Don't know what happened with your FIT, but the smart is no Honda.If services were done by M-B, everything done to the car is on record electronically. This might be of some help if a major component blows up real good. Pray for goodwill. It exists from time to time in the service departments of M-B. Regardless of the number of kms, condition and full records are everything when buying a used smart.Have fun. Like the song says, "we only go around once on this big spinning planet of love..."

Wearing a hat would not be a big deal, might even sport a sombrero. Can one fit two in the car? This might be the real issue.THe colours range from red, black, white and silver. If Stream Green is the neon popsicle colour, I will not be buying that colour for certain.Still have the Fit, great car really, and a terrific car with an additional $300 worth of sound deadening material. Might have the same size of front seat area as a Smart as well.Thanks for the tips!

For that low anticipated mileage (5000 Km/year) the fuel saving of the 450 diesel (Canadian 2004-2006) won't be significant. The 451 gasser US and Canada 2008-current) has less maintenance issues and expense, and has full dealer support in the US, as well as an AC that doesn't require annual service. The US dealers have no parts, experience, manuals or factory support for the earlier diesel models.

I was thinking the same thing, a shrug at a USA MB or Smart garage will be expensive. I am only buying a Smart for the size and not fuel considerations. The post you made was there in the back of my mind, not buying a diesel would remove the concerns. Hmmmm onward to a 2007 plus Smart?

If none of the cars listed above are black, then none are real BRABUS. The only 450 diesel BRABUS cars imported to Canada are all black (50 of them, nightrun edition), three are all red - two cabrios and one coupé (Canada 1) and one all white cabrio (Canada 1). Also: there is no such thing as an "M-B approved chipped" engine. Remaps are all offered by independents.I agree with Alex, the intended use means the cdi is probably not the right choice IMO, a 451 would be easier to deal with in the USA.

" 2006 Smart Fortwo Pulse Coupe$9,50029,000 km (18,000 miles)Original owner, always serviced at MB.Moon roof, heated seats, AC, Clock/rev counter, outdoor temp, luggage cover, power locks, doors, windows, keyless entry, CD player" This one sounds really good, if I had my choice it would be that one, 29,000km, moon roof not a panoramic, heated seats not to mention one owner and serviced at MB.Brit, Mathieu and Marty Car :D

Indeed it is black. so the real mcCoy. Better to buy for the intended use I guess, but this Brabus is so sweet.... bloody logic.Someone buy this please and save me from the temptation: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-...QAdIdZ284720114

This one is fantastic, the high km is a bit of a killer though however it is tempting :)Brit, Mathieu and Marty Car :D

Indeed it is black. so the real mcCoy. Better to buy for the intended use I guess, but this Brabus is so sweet.... bloody logic.

We have that one in the Registry under the vehicle tracking forum.Did you know that all 50 Canadian nightruns were glass-roofed coupés made in Hambach and all the BRABUS parts were added there on the assembly line? The 4 BRABUS Canada 1 cars, in contrast, were regular smarts delivered to BRABUS in Bottrop Germany where the cars were stripped down to the shell, repainted (3 red, one white) inside and out, retrimmed in heated Alcantara with red or white contrast stitching + Nappa Leather (dyed through, not the cheap painted stuff that 99% of cars with leather have) and all the BRABUS body and interior trim that the nightrun came with, and then sent to Canada. That's why the nightrun "only" cost $26K and the Canada 1 cabriolets were $35K. The nightrun should come with a set of winter tires on sportline pulse alloy wheels.None of the nightruns have heated seats. Bummer. But they are nice. If you like it, go ahead.....but look carefully, it's at the age where a new intercooler may be needed (look for oil mess under the car).M-B did not officially approve of any remaps for the nightruns or the Canada 1s or any other cars.

I just got an 2005 pulse coupe Wow what a package This little car has most things you want from a big gas gu!!!!! ... Plenty of power when you want it comes with all the gadgets you don't notice them working until they come on to let you know they are working ! very cool. If you only two people in your car at any time you be NUTS to go past this car!!!!!!!!!!

post-10760-1322039213_thumb.jpg