shadejo

Clutch fork failure

121 posts in this topic

No need to guess, I have a low-ish mileage clutch arm right here. Now I can see the exact radius of curvature they used in both sockets, it isn't constant.

(Don't worry, eventually I'll stop posting shots of 3D scans and CAD files and start posting pics of actual machined parts, but since this is the start, this is what you see first!)

More to follow soon on this little fix. Could save all of you quite a bit of time and money fixing your smarties! By the way, if you are thinking of modifying your actuator, please wait!

Dave

ClutchArm.JPG

Yes Dave,

Over time the actuator needs to be adjusted closer to the bellhousing, adding the acorn nut to the end of the actuator shaft moves the actuator outwards away from the engine but there is still room in the slots to accomidate the space required by the nut.

canman

Tolsen: The cost of the fork is irrelevant in this case because of the cost of labor to change it, and the sad fact the new fork will have the same problems the old fork did. It is not a fix, just a consumable at that point. A consumable that is very time consuming to change.

Thanks CANMAN for confirmation of the adjustment. Adding the acorn isn't really a fix either because the problem is primarily the relative motion between the tip of the actuator and the fork itself. What really doesn't help things is how low the hole is for the actuator. If you ever go through a puddle or dusty conditions everything will be introduced to that point and just make the "grinding" even worse. 

The other pivot point doesn't see the wear and tear because of how shielded it is, because it has a spring to keep it fully engaged and lastly because it sees quite a bit less angular displacement due to it's location. 

Anyway, I spent far too long designing a little replacement tip for the actuator, the profile exactly matches the socket of the clutch arm so you can remove actuator, place tip on actuator, install and the problem is gone for good. The motion and friction is now between the special heat treated and coated insert and the tip of the actuator in a sealed environment with the appropriate grease. The arm only sees the pushing force of the actuator, not the "rubbing" as before:

Actuator Insert.JPG

Socket in clutch fork gets punched through and holed due to owner neglecting to carry out required maintenance.

Applying grease to socket stops corrosion and reduces wear.

Clutch actuator should be preloaded hence there should be no axial play in way of contact between push rod and fork socket.  Any axial play there adds to the woodpecker effect with end result being punch through.

Yes, can be used not matter how bad the fork is, unless you have made something else and totally messed up the fork. The typical hole left by the actuator is not a problem, this is one of the major advantages to the concept. 

Worst case: Fork gets hole in it and car is now immobile. Pull actuator, install tip and replace. Other than having to calibrate the actuator, you are good to go, forever (Until something else breaks) 

Dave,

I would like to order 2 of your new actuator tips.

Please P.M. me with the details so I can E.F.T. Payment.

canman

Several years ago I modified the actuator with a brass tip and have had no problems since but now I'm thinking that I haven't checked it lately! I am having difficulty following your fix Dave.  How does it still work if the fork becomes punched through?  I didn't see a drawing of your fix only the fork itself.  What am I not understanding about this?

On 9/29/2016 at 2:44 AM, DesignerDave said:

Yes, can be used not matter how bad the fork is, unless you have made something else and totally messed up the fork. The typical hole left by the actuator is not a problem, this is one of the major advantages to the concept. 

Worst case: Fork gets hole in it and car is now immobile. Pull actuator, install tip and replace. Other than having to calibrate the actuator, you are good to go, forever (Until something else breaks) 

How can i buy one of these tips from you? PM me and i can send payment.

Hello Dave; I need to order 2 or your fork actuator caps, please pm me with details asap.

Little behind on this topic, but this happened to me this morning and I found this thread while on the side of the road. 

After removing the actuator I noticed the rod was stuck through the fork. I use my car as a traveling toolbox for work so I had all manner of bits to work with. I found a flat washer with a smaller inner diameter than the rod, placed it over the open end of a socket and hammered it concave. Placed some grease on the washer and stuck it to the actuator, reinstalled everything and it got me to work. Hopefully I can get home with it.

should work fine for getting you home

i remember brazing a large nut on the end of mine years ago and then using a grinder to give it a smoother shape...worked well and is still in service afik

What I've done as a preventative measure is to cut m10x1.5 threads on the rod and added a nylon acorn nut (with a dab of lucas red & tacky grease on installation). I haven't put very much mileage on it but so far it shifts fine. Will pull it off to check for wear and tear and if it's too much I have brass acorn nuts for back up. I'm actually looking for the nylon nut to wear and not the fork as the nut is easier to change. I may have to change it frequently but it beats having to change the fork.

1 person likes this

Intentionally posting here as I feel this information should be included here with the rest of this informative thread. 

If I was to weld up my clutch fork and then grind out the divot again, how deep below the surface do I need to go to be close to "spec"? 

4 hours ago, Dewie said:

Intentionally posting here as I feel this information should be included here with the rest of this informative thread. 

If I was to weld up my clutch fork and then grind out the divot again, how deep below the surface do I need to go to be close to "spec"? 

Can you weld it from the back side and then work the dimple or dish from the front side?  It looks like from pictures the dish is close to the depth of the curled sides no?  Sorry don't have one in my hands as I chucked my spare ones out....augh.....sorry.  

22 minutes ago, Willys said:

Can you weld it from the back side and then work the dimple or dish from the front side?  It looks like from pictures the dish is close to the depth of the curled sides no?  Sorry don't have one in my hands as I chucked my spare ones out....augh.....sorry.  

I actually have two here and they're both pretty punched out to the point I'm just guessing. I can certainly make it whatever shape/depth I need but I'd REALLY like to have a measurement to go off of vs winging it. 

I've been losing a surprising amount of oil out of the transmission from various bolt holes and the axle holes, I'm kind of wondering if it's not over-full. I'll have to drain it and re-fill once I have the orientation correct/everything mounted back in the subframe. 

2 minutes ago, Dewie said:

I actually have two here and they're both pretty punched out to the point I'm just guessing. I can certainly make it whatever shape/depth I need but I'd REALLY like to have a measurement to go off of vs winging it. 

I've been losing a surprising amount of oil out of the transmission from various bolt holes and the axle holes, I'm kind of wondering if it's not over-full. I'll have to drain it and re-fill once I have the orientation correct/everything mounted back in the subframe. 

Is the breather plugged?

On 2/27/2022 at 6:07 PM, Willys said:

Is the breather plugged?

I mean... maybe - but there are no axles and it's removed from the car, what are you implying ;) ? haha

14 hours ago, Dewie said:

I mean... maybe - but there are no axles and it's removed from the car, what are you implying ;) ? haha

LOL....plug all the bolts back in before worrying about oil leaking out of bolt holes, lol....I thought you were speaking of it as if still in car and it losing oil etc...lol.  My bad....as they say...lol

1 person likes this