Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BJSmart

Intermittent pedal pulse while braking

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

DId a search but couldn't find anything covering this. Past 2 days we occassionally get a pulsing in the pedal while under braking. For example today it did it on 3 occasions in 25k of driving, typically under in town slow stopping conditions that it does the pulse. I can't think its worn pads because then it should be doing it all the time. Examined the front rotors and they appear to be in good shape. Car ( 05) has 68000 K on it and I know the brakes were done once b4 we purchased the car 2 yrs ago.Not sure its relevant but our ABS & ESP light has been coming on since last November after 60 - 80 K speed. Always resets next time we start the car.. probably reluctor ring cracked or worn. Don't know if that could be related to brake pulse or not...pulse doesn't really feel fast enough to be ABS application. BTW...this is all on dry summer roadsAny ideas/ experience with this out there?!?!?

Edited by BJSmart

Sounds to like it is a broken reluctor ring.Mine would do the same thing before I changed them myself.Do a search on reluctor ring replacement on here.If you need anymore help PM me.E.B.

Warped front brake rotors, caused by installing the bolts with an impact gun instead of using a torque wrench. Over time heat from braking and uneven torque causes the rotors to warp.CANMAN

Sounds to like it is a broken reluctor ring.Mine would do the same thing before I changed them myself.Do a search on reluctor ring replacement on here.If you need anymore help PM me.E.B.

+1 on the reluctor ring. Identical behavior to mine a month ago, the cracked ring did not set off the warnings until approx 70km/hr but occasionally caused the brakes to feel odd and pulse.Check the drivers side first, for whatever reason this generally seems to be the first reluctor ring to fail on all the smarts I have seen.John

Posted (edited) · Report post

Will try to check into this on the weekend, as per method in PM from EB. Driver's side gets most salt exposure during winter months.Canman, I think warped rotor(s) would give pulse everytime I braked ?...which is not happening

Edited by smart142

Yes, broken reluctor ring as EB predicted. A section about 1/3 of the circumference is totally devoid of cogs on the passenger side. Driver's side ring still looks pretty good!! But should probably haveboth done while we're at it?? So will now look into repair options. Thanks for help people :)

Same as ABS ring. Made out of steel so they eventually rust and split causing trouble. Can be sourced for less than 2 pounds each on ebay.