Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartmom

Calgary service options ?

8 posts in this topic

Hello fellow smart owners.I have a question passed to me by another model 450 owner.Are there any mechanics or garages who will do the A and B service on our cars,besides the dealerships?I use Lonestar myself, but I heard of a garage or shop a few years ago in the North that worked on mercedies, smarts and performance cars.We wouldn't want to turn over our little desils to someone who didn't know them.Thanks,Smartmom

Hello fellow smart owners.I have a question passed to me by another model 450 owner.Are there any mechanics or garages who will do the A and B service on our cars,besides the dealerships?I use Lonestar myself, but I heard of a garage or shop a few years ago in the North that worked on mercedies, smarts and performance cars.We wouldn't want to turn over our little desils to someone who didn't know them.Thanks,Smartmom

RCTS Technologies is where I go. Reg and the crew are awesome. WWW>monsterhorsepower.comDebbie

Thanks Debbie.I'm pretty sure that is the ciompany I heard about a few yeas ago.-Donna

RCTS Technologies is where I go. Reg and the crew are awesome. WWW>monsterhorsepower.comDebbie

A place in Calgary to go other then the dealership would be great... I am a fairly new smart owner and today was my first time taking it into Lone Star... I was a little surprised with the $744 bill I got at the end of the day...That was for a Service A, new fuel Filter, and for them to take a look at why a few of my lights on the instrument panel were staying on... The largest cost was the Service A stuff...So in 8,000 km I hope to take it somewhere where the money I save on gas, doesn't all go to the maintenance :S

A place in Calgary to go other then the dealership would be great... I am a fairly new smart owner and today was my first time taking it into Lone Star... I was a little surprised with the $744 bill I got at the end of the day...That was for a Service A, new fuel Filter, and for them to take a look at why a few of my lights on the instrument panel were staying on... The largest cost was the Service A stuff...So in 8,000 km I hope to take it somewhere where the money I save on gas, doesn't all go to the maintenance :S

I was $933. last Thursday, same shop. In fairness I DID ask them to go through it thoroughly as I owned it ten days and had no service records whatsoever. I also had lights on all over the place. They also didn't have the correct belt needed and invited me back this week for that. That's a 350 km round trip for me because they didn't have a belt for a 3 year old car they sell. In addition, the previous week I was going through and ordered an owner's manual, making the service appointment to coincide with when the manual would be in. At the Thursday service there was confusion and the manual had not been ordered at all. It has since been sent to me COLLECT on the bus ($21. shipping) when I was in their dealership twice over the manual. The work was terrific. I watched much of it done because it was right in front of me through the window where I was on my laptop. I saw tremendous attention to detail, torque values being set, etc. Really nice work but also nearly $1,000 and still no belt. Frankly, someone should come here and install it in my driveway.

Service update. Never was called by Lone Star that the belts were in. I called them (long distance) and indeed they were in. The service writer (really good guy) I dealt with my day there was away. He'd said swing by and they'd pop them in. Not being there when I called, other person says no - make appointment for next week. This is a 350 km round trip.

Soooo... I contact local Euro repair shop. Always a sea of BMW's, Mercedes, Land Rovers, VW's all over the lot. They claim to service most every Smart in town and get this... they have BOTH belts in stock! Done yesterday in 20 minutes before the long weekend. Car totally refreshed from no service record background. No more business to tend to.

If in south central Alberta... Express Automotive. They have all common filters and replacement parts in stock. http://www.expressautomotive.ca/index.html

So after a total of over $1,000 is complete front to back service between two locations, I'm half way to Edmonton this morning and the check engine light comes on again. Still on after getting fuel and completing the trip here. Runs fine. Man oh man. Not comfortable with that light on and the middle of a long weekend 150 km from home.

Edited by RedDog

We recently took our Smart to RCTS Technologies. One wrench service was $290 and they were friendly and knowledgeable. We took it back for a engine light problem (engine sputtering on cold days). They couldn't find the problem, made a bunch of suggestions, and said they would continue to research the problem. They didn't charge us for that visit. I am much happier to bring the car to RCTS over Lonestar here in Calgary. We received poor service from Lonestar over the 5 years, and paid a lot for that poor service.