Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strawboss

My AC was fixed

16 posts in this topic

I just got my 450 back from Ogilvie Motors Friday afternoon where they gave the AC system the full treatment, all new lines, seals & flex hoses.All of this was no charge which is a good thing.... finally AC that doesn't need constant attention.It sat all day yesterday as I went playing with my pickup & my new Argo all day.This morning it was back in the 450 to Princess Auto & wasn't on the highway more than a few seconds when all heck broke loose, an awful grinding scraping noise......pulled over to find my rear belly tray hadn't been secured properly & was hanging open from the hinge side like a air scoop... :angry: the tech seems to have bolted it back up without engaging the tabs that fit into the slots of the front tray to make the hinge.Looks like MB will be on the hook for more free work.....

Isn't that a pain? So damned inconvenient and potentially hazardous too, if bits broke off on the highway and startled the person behind you into running off the road or something... then they'd be on the hook for more than a simple repair.

Sad to say, but these days it seems as if you have to thoroughly inspect your car after the service techs are done with it, just to see what they may have messed up this time.

In my experience, they always overlook something!

Bil :senile:

Totally agree with Bil! Hard to find craftsman/services that do a 100% job... Very frustrating!

Yeah, as much as I hate to looks like I'll have to chew someone out....I inspect all my work after completion no matter how simple based on what I like to think of as a"consequence of error"factor, stuff like hooking up trailer hitches,bolting on airplane props/car rims....etc,looks like this tech may need a refresher course.

I just got my 450 back from Ogilvie Motors Friday afternoon where they gave the AC system the full treatment, all new lines, seals & flex hoses.All of this was no charge which is a good thing.... finally AC that doesn't need constant attention.

Curious, was this an original warranty, extended warranty, or out of warranty freebie?

That's really good to hear. Have many others been able to negotiate an out of warranty freebie? I've heard that even some with extended warranties have been out of luck when it comes to free AC repair. I had mine "fixed" Summer 2008 & April 2010 under original warranty. AC is working fine at the moment but I expect to need an AC repair/refill again next summer...

Not a matter of negotiating. MB has a free repair policy where they replace the existing line sets with a new design that bolts together at the typical failure point instead of using a push-fit union.There are certain criteria and the repair is decided on a case-by-case basis. One of the items appears to be that you must have had the dealership do a repair within the last 12 months that has failed again.This program also seems to be based on hidden criteria by the individual dealership.B :senile:

That sucks. I bought a special trim tool to hold the back side of the yellow clips to make sure they engage properly. As for Warranty, Im in the middle of an argument with MBC to cover a customer's engine as its at 106k with ALL maint records AT MB DEALERS and the engine is siezed. I used to work at MB and have my training yada yada and they are being very reluctant to do anything for this customer. Siezed is completely unacceptable at that milage with all maint done at MB. The cust has 3 MB's in the family and are pretty upset. If you want out of warranty coverage you have to keep on them and bitch bitch bitch and IF you get the right person you may get covered. Their reputation is declining in my opinion

you have to keep on them and bitch bitch bitch and IF you get the right person you may get covered.

I find this SO frustrating! WHAT other trade is so random? The car business is secretive and policies unwritten or not divulged, and it is based heavily on WHOM you know as to what service or special deals you have access to, rather than being transparent and rules-based.

It is disgusting in the 21st Century that we are subject to a 19th Century business model. Especially on a product that is such a huge part of our expenses and our lives.

In my point of view, there IS no "reputation" in the car business - especially with smart. If the guy you know gets transfered, you start all over again from the bottom.

</rant> ;)

Considering that the warranty lasts to 80K km, anyone getting anything beyond that is truly receiving a gift. So let's keep things in perspective here.

The 4yr, 80K is not the only warranty. There is a 130K warranty on the emissions system - i.e. if exhaust fails in that time, it is replaced n/c as mine was post-warranty. There is also an internal, unpublicized Canada-wide policy on the n/c a/c lines replacement, which our local dealership's Ops Manager twice personally confirmed to me. There was also something to do with seatbelt bolts, upgraded replacement parts like EGR mix chamber and intercooler channel (which are to be used when repairing these original parts) and several other Technical Service Bulletins, none of which get publicized, and which may or may not be performed on any given customer's car.You see, it is not as black-and-white as 4/80. The car business is rife with little grey "gifts" which are doled out seemingly subject to the whim of the local dealer.I stand by my comments. :yes: Bil :sun:

Aside from the explicit emission warranty that covers certain components, there are no rights after 80K km, and this seized engine is not something that a customer entitlement exists for. It's just the way it is. Same with the A/C fix and all that other stuff, there is no entitlement after 80K km.So yeah they are gifts, not entitlements. Therefore slagging the dealers on an occasion like this is not going to help anyone. They sure aren't going to give anyone a 160K km warranty because of online whining.

There appears to be two threads getting a bit mingled here. Talking about the AC though, I feel as if there is a specific issue where an intrinsic design flaw is obviously there, as demonstrated by almost every smart AC system out there needing frequent repairs, there does exist an onus on the manufacturer to install the parts that should have been there from the start. The very existence of the new and improved lines is pretty much an admittance that there is a flaw in the original parts. One expects some level of failure at or above a reasonable warranty period, but almost every single AC-equipped smart has needed work, often annually, and one should have a reasonable expectation of better than that.Also I must admit I smirk just a tiny bit with every failing AC thread as after doing my due diligence before purchasing my smart I didn't get AC. Being in Vancouver with very little really hot weather made my choice easier, of course. 27 and dry is a very different story than a muggy 35, I realize.I'm not gonna touch the seized engine issue, except to state that I have fresh oil every 5K km, as I want a long, long engine life. That philosophy is there with our RAV4 as well, I think all engines respond well to frequent oil changes.

Edited by Alex

In the specific case in post #9 that distracted from the original post in this thread, I agree that expecting that an engine should be replaced for free because it failed and didn't meet the owners' expectations of lasting to higher mileage is a contention not to be argued here. There are too many factors that we can know nothing about. So let's not conflate the two issues.

The use of the term entitlement is also negatively nuanced but I get what you mean. But broadly, I disagree.

Corporations don't give their customers gifts. Car companies will do repairs and replacements at little or no charge to the customer if doing that

[*]retains customers for future trade,

[*]avoids future civil or criminal liabilities,

[*]or in some other way creates an efficiency or cost saving for the company down the road,

[*]or possibly if the customer is a personal acquaintance of the decision-maker at the dealership.

That is why replacing or re-adjusting a seat belt bolt or tensioner is not a gift. Replacing failed emissions components is not a gift. Retrofitting a habitually leaking a/c component is not a gift. These are not gifts because not doing them could result in costly fines, charges or suits, or other future costs to the company. Not to mention the bad publicity that can come from owner injuries or death.

Once such intrinsic failures are identified by the company, let's not say, the customer is entitled to have them fixed; let's turn it around and say, the company has an obligation to indemnify the customer and fix what is deficient.

B :sun:

Maybe one reason my repair was handled in this way was my approach, there is a right way to complain & some people seem to fall short in this regard. Maybe my 20 years of dealing with the public gives me an edge? Who knows.......