Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcon_1898

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

11 posts in this topic

These couple of days, we've been searching for some winter tires and steel rims for...well, winter.I've searched the forums, but couldn't find much relevant information on this:Do all smart cars come with TPMS? I recall on the courtesy car (passion) we had a couple of weeks ago, there is a TPMS light/indicator in the centre console area, in the same row of buttons for the heated seats, door locks, and fog lamps.On our car (pure), I don't see any sort of indicator anywhere, but was told by the parts associate at the dealership that all smart cars have TPMS, and that's why the winter tire/rim packages cost about $1,500.So, is he right about this one?I personally don't see much need for TPMS, and would try my best to be as economical as possible with winter tires.The next question is: if I buy the rims from MB dealership, and tires from elsewhere, will standard valve stems fit the smart steel rims? We are still looking for an affordable source for winter tires/rims. I've been onto tirerack.com, but they are in the states, and shipping is prohibitively expensive. The same also applies for Flying Tiger, which is located in the Prairies. Does anyone know a good place locally (Toronto)?James

If yours is a 2011 model, the TPMS is optional (and rarely chosen, no doubt).

... The same also applies for Flying Tiger, which is located in the Prairies. Does anyone know a good place locally (Toronto)?James

Yeah, I guess Saskatchewan and coastal BC are pretty much the same when viewed from "The Center Of The Universe"! :D And more to the point, I have heard of an unbelievable number of flat tires caused by leaky TPMS's, so I'm not sure they are worth the hassle. Just check your tires regularly, as you should anyway.

I think we just saw a couple of ads for tires ot rires + wheels here in the member classifieds.Bil :sun:

TPMS sensors are not required to be in your wheels at all... I have eventually just taped over the dashlight. The TPMS can leak, and they are more of a hindrance than a help IMO. So just pick up a set of 451 specific winter wheels/tires out of our member classifieds section, and you're good to go.(Note: Anyone selling wheels/tires, please list them there. Or send a PM to the OP.)

TPMS sensors are not required to be in your wheels at all... I have eventually just taped over the dashlight. The TPMS can leak, and they are more of a hindrance than a help IMO. So just pick up a set of 451 specific winter wheels/tires out of our member classifieds section, and you're good to go.(Note: Anyone selling wheels/tires, please list them there. Or send a PM to the OP.)

Agreed - I've had 4 failed TPMS sensors (all replaced under warranty) but man it's just a pain in the A$$ going to the dealership, having them look into it, etc...

Mine is not on warranty and the front right sensor was faulty. It was a $60. part at the dealer. I'd rather not have the feature on my car at all.

Although I don't have a TPMS on my 2006 smart I do have it on my Toyota Tundra (and I have had no problem with the system in terms of faulty readings etc). When I bought winter tires/rims for the Tundra the TPMS would have been $$$ expensive so they don't have the sensors and the indicator light stays on all the time during the winter but, who cares.While I undertsnad the sfaety and gas conservation idea of the TPMS, until the Tundra none of my vehicles had this system and everything seemed to work out okay.

While I understand the safety and gas conservation idea of the TPMS, until the Tundra none of my vehicles had this system and everything seemed to work out okay.

My thoughts exactly. This is a non issue to those who routinely check pressures, especially with climate shifts. To my mind it's just something else to go wrong - which in my first such experience has already cost me money.