Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AJR

ABS BS

49 posts in this topic

When do they show you the updated price? I'm checking this out and they are still showing up as £17.98 each plus shipping...

Just ordered this morning, at the new lower price and have been informed by email that they have been 'dispatched', (how British), at 4:06, AST in NS. That price you see IS the new one at 15.99 + 1.99 extra shipping. A few days ago it was 21.99 plus shp, at least that's how I remember it. Maybe they are not showing the old price anymore. Edited by AJR

sorry to thread jack...I just had the ABS/ESP light on, mechanic that was working on the car for safety said the ring was broken, so we got it changed, anyways, he said I had to go to M-B to get the the ABS/ESP light turned off...cause his machine wasnt able to clear it...is he pulling me around or is this actually true? im new to all this...

My light went off after less than half a km of driving once I replaced the rear reluctor rings.

Were both rings changed? Pressed all the way on? It seems it's possible that the sensor may not be funtioning. Anyone else got ideas?

lights should go out once the car sees the signal its looking for. its posable you have another broken ring or have a sensor failure.

Just wanted to pop in and mention something I noticed when I had my ABS light on ( wound up being a mis aligned sensor in the front when I changed my springs). The hill holder function did not work when the ABS wasn't working, to some this may not matter ( and really once I realized it was not a huge issue to me) but it is one more thing to think about when driving the car without the "electronic nannies". I didn't have a problem with driving mine that wAy but it was during the spring so no snow, not sure I would drive it in the winter without, but haven't really tried it so can't say how the car actually drives without it, I do know that I have no problem with how the car drives with all the systems in place, so will be making sure they stay in place on my car.

This may be the problem...I had my 2 front springs changed for the safety...I'll have to get that checked...thanks! any other possibilities?

It could be that the sensors have to be cleaned, they can get a buildup of rust and debris on them, and cleaning them can make them work properly again.

That could be more of a sensor/module problem. Possibly even a wire. When my reluctors were broken the lights came on and off over the week we drove the car, some days they didn't come on.

Its going into smart to get diagnosed...no ones OBD2 computer cant read the ABS/ESP codes...guess it needs a special reader...

Well my car is going to Star MB saturday, anywho i decided to try something that a member mentioned, is to clean the sensors, I did the right side no problem, it was pretty full of shavings, then i went on to the other side and saw that the bolt head was snapped off...can this cause a problem?

post-10502-1317932146_thumb.jpg

You don't necessarily need MB Star to read your Smart. I've found I can read ABS/ESP and engine on my 2002 Cabrio Cdi with an Autel Maxidiag FR704 scanner running Mercedes software and reading the Smart as an E class W210 series diesel. Can read and erase but of course nothing else.PS. I get no live data out of mine but that may work on a later OBD2 compatible Smart.

Edited by tolsen

I might only be a "Backyard Engineer" but I'd assume a bolt that holds a sensor on should be in place for the sensor to work...

The bolt merely holds sensor in position ensuring gap between sensor and ring is right. Whoever sheared the bolt off should have replace bolt. Perhaps sensor is rusted and stuck hard in the recess and can't be removed without breaking it.Test sensor by checking gap, check signal on oscilloscope or by replacing with one that is known to work.

The bolt merely holds sensor in position ensuring gap between sensor and ring is right.

That being said, the sensor is probably no longer in the right position. I'd start with fixing that, it's gotta be fixed anyways.

I know from experience that you can think the sensor is in the right position ( mine was even bolted in) and can still be out of adjustment, I have a feeling that the sensor has moved out of position because of the missing bolt and that this is likely the reason the ABS is not working properly.

Just ordered this morning, at the new lower price and have been informed by email that they have been 'dispatched', (how British), at 4:06, AST in NS. That price you see IS the new one at 15.99 + 1.99 extra shipping. A few days ago it was 21.99 plus shp, at least that's how I remember it. Maybe they are not showing the old price anymore.

ALL DONE:Just to finish off, my rings arrived in the postal box last week. I thought they'd be held up for taxes and/or duty, but not. Installation went smoothly, a struggle lifting shafts out while hauling on engine frame tube, another person would have made it much easier. Putting back was not a problem though. Didn't detach lower shock mounts, not necessary. After filing down the shaft hubs and applying grease, the rings tapped on quite readily, it helped to hold them in a vise. Did replace the seals, why not when it's apart anyway and less than $40. The hardest part was reconnecting the frame supports, especially the 2nd one, some jack repositioning and a wee bit of cussing got her on though. End result, the ABS and ESP lights went out within 50 meters. The check engine light stayed on until my 3rd drive. Hill assist and ABS back to normal. Very nice driving at night now without those little bright spots taunting me. Thanks to all here with tips and web links. No doubt I saved several hundred dollars and know that the job was done right with proper care and consideration for my little pod. CHEERS

I blew some Rust Check on mine, and Waxoyl on the green car's ones.

I will definitely spray with each tire change in the fall. These new rings did come with a 10 year guarantee. Not sure if I will own this car for that long, depends mostly on maintaince costs and my finances. No doubt some new and slick plug in electric should be available: a two seater with inline seats like a motorbike and sleek aerodynamics plus low center of gravity. A little less weight and more oomph wouldn't hurt either. If I imagine it, will it happen?