Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adraintaylor

Smart wont start

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,I need help - like most people here!! My 2005 CDI has ceased to be a car and is now a driveway statue..... all the lights come on as they should and then nothing happens. No attempts - just silence. Any help would be appreicated before Mercedes charge me a fortune + my firstborn child to tell me its wrecked!!Adrain

Can you hear a faint click from the SAM when you turn key to operate starter? Remove and check fuse for starter, see Evilution for further details on how to find it.

If still no start, try wiggling cable to starter solenoid on starter using a long plastic ruler or similar tool. Bad contact on the female to male spade connector on starter solenoid is a common problem. A permanent fix requires lowering of engine and subframe to gain access to starter. Just clean and grease the connection using battery pole grease or similar non conductive grease.

Edited by tolsen

Adding your location might help. There could be someone in your general neighbourhood that could help.

90% chance your battery is dead. Or dying.

I had a similar problem, turn key and nothing happened.I had to get the starter replaced. Got the old one to re-build.What the problem was from the solenoid there is a braided copper conductor that goes to the starter motor, and it had corroded thru and no power to the starter motor. They would not repair the unit and just replaced the starter motor.

Edited by Tardis

Try wiggling cable to starter solenoid on starter using a long plastic ruler or similar tool. Bad contact on the female to male spade connector on starter solenoid is a common problem. A permanent fix requires lowering of engine and subframe to gain access to starter. Just clean and grease the connection using battery pole grease or similar non conductive grease.

This advice got my car going two weeks ago. Thanks...Gordo. :P

My experience this morning.......Took the car to breakfast, it likes french toast. When we went to leave it wouldn't start. Turned the key, all the lights came on, chimes chimed, foot on brake, shifted to neutral, turned key more, NOTHING! This has happened before, so repeat the sequence. In the past this has worked first try, but today, nothing. Must have tried a dozen times. Got a ride home, checked this forum for hints, checked evilution too, and went back with some tools. Sat in the car and listened as I turned the key, shifted, stepped on the brake, stuff like that. Can hear the clutch when I shift, can hear clicking in the passenger foot well when stepping on brake, and clicking in dash when turning the key, but no start. Did this a couple of dozen times. Considered trying to push start but couldn't remember the technique, so was about to come home and look it up, but tried one more thing first - moved the shift lever back and forth, left and right, a whole bunch of times, then turned the key. Nothing right away, but after a brief delay (about a second) the starter engaged - I was holding the key in the start position listening for other clicks. Drove it home, then turned it off, and restarted it without problems, several times. (and just tried it again, after having cooled for an hour). None of these restarts had a delay between turning the key and energizing the starter.My dilemma - the problem has gone away, but isn't fixed. Is anyone familiar with the interlocks that prevent it starting? We've got the disabler indicated by the key in the speedo display, we got the "Must be in neutral" , and we've got the foot on the brake lock, are these mechanical locks, or logic? I believe the disabler is logic, the brake is mechanical (I can hear a relay), but the shifter is puzzling, other than the clutch there is no audible indicator - does anyone know where the contact is? Cleaning it might help.Any other ideas?Thanks

As indicated by Tolsen, it looks like your starter is the problem.''A permanent fix requires lowering of engine and subframe to gain access to starter.''

Just curious - which symptom indicates a problem with the starter? and why will it resume starting without fixing anything?

The intermittent nature of the problem is pointing that way. It could even just be corrosion on the started cable, you could try to loosen that (if there is room) and spray it with MolySlip Combat or similar, to see if the car "smartens" up.

Thanks for all the info - I will be starting to wiggle and poke before I submit to the Mercedes mortgage centre!! I'm in Burlington, Ontario by the way if that helps anyone.Adrain

Do yourself another favour and check ALL the connections under the dash at the fuse block. Then check them again!I had a similar issue 2 years ago which finally necessitated me getting the car towed to smart London.After alot of troubleshooting, messing with ground wires, checking starter, etc. the tech found the issue was something "related to aftermarket wiring in the fuse block"He was, of course, referring to the ignition-free window mod which obviously has nothing to do with why the car wasn't starting; the issue was a loose connection on the back of the fuse block.As I had not been under there, I can only assume it shook itself loose over time. The issue has not resurfaced!As always, your mileage may vary.MZ

Hey knowing you're a long way away makes my help kinda harder for you. With it being as intermittent as it is the possibilities are higher. So heres my offer. If you find its a difficult, expensive repair I would be willing to come get your car, you pay for my gas in my truck and pay to rent a trailer for the car and buy me quizno's for lunch when we get there, and I will come get it and we'll get it fixed for you. You would be paying shop rate form my time spent working on the car $65/hour. I can't really diag this far away without seeing the car, but if you conclude we need to go in and do a starter Im pretty sure that I can save you some cash while making myself some too. So far I have had great success in making customers happy with huge savings with equal or better quility repairs. (sorry to blow my own horn but...) My shop is in winchester On, 30 minutes south of ottawa. Your call just message me privately if you are interested as I don't get back to the forums for long periods of time but my emails go right to my phone. troy5ford@hotmail.com, personal email613-774-0718 shop numberThanks, TroyPS uhaul trailer renal is $60, I expect gas would cost $120 or so. We can pretty much expect $200 to come get it, so we'd have to save you $300-400 to make it fesable. But the offer is there. Get a quote and let me know how many hours they want to charge and dollars per hour. Here the dealer is over $100/hr (so I hear)