Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1960NSU

Smart/NSU Resto Project

139 posts in this topic

Well my resto is now starting to really take shape, the engine and rear running gear have been roughly fitted, just some welding and a little customizing for support and safety. We have to slightly widen the rear wheel arches but other than that the fit was almost flawless. We are going to be using the front wheels on the back because they are narrower, so I have to find two more front wheels to match, the wheels in the pic below are the rears still on and are too wide.Now to put in the front Smart running gear in and we have a rolling chassis to work with. Woo Hoo, I will post more as she progresses.Wendy & "Betty" the NSU 4 Two

post-8961-1318746066_thumb.jpg

This is really starting to come together, guys :thumbup: I'll be eagerly watching as your hybrid project goes forward!Bil :sun:

Nice to see your project coming together. As a former owner of a 1963 Prinz 3 it is nice to see an older Prinz made new again.I smiled when I saw McKays on the back of your car. Same place that I bought mine. Anyways the other reason for this post is I have 2 slightly used original front tires for the smart. They are about 4 years old and I will never use them. I can give them to you. Just like to get them out of my shed.PM me or phone me (604.703.1818) if you are interested.Roy

Edited by yellow bumble bee

That little car will out-drag any cdi smart once it's done, those suckers are 200 kg lighter than the fortwo.

That little car will out-drag any cdi smart once it's done, those suckers are 200 kg lighter than the fortwo.

Well at least it wil have more power than the origional engine which was 398cc. I just can't wait for this to all come together. Roy: I sent you a PM, thanksWendy

Hi WendyTried to send you a PM but didn't go through. I just have two tires for the front wheels of the smart. I do not have any rims. If you are still interested let me know.Roy

Hi WendyTried to send you a PM but didn't go through. I just have two tires for the front wheels of the smart. I do not have any rims. If you are still interested let me know.Roy

Roy: I PM'd you about the tires.Wendy

Flare the rear arches to cover the wheels, if you do a subtle job it will hardly be noticeable!

Flare the rear arches to cover the wheels, if you do a subtle job it will hardly be noticeable!

Yes that would be nice, but I am trying to keep the car as origional looking from the outside as I can, if we have to widen the rear arches for the origional rear Smart wheels, they would have to come out by 3 inches, either side, by using the front wheels on the back we only have to adjust the arches ever so slightly. This is a pic of the front wheels on the rear. It looks way better.WEndy

post-8961-1319353334_thumb.jpg

post-8961-1319353364_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1960NSU

Well some more updates, the engine is now in position and everything is welded and in place. Wheels arches in the rear have been modified a wee bit and taking shape.Wendy

post-8961-1322434667_thumb.jpg

Wendy, this is such an exciting project... I hope I can drop by and see it when you get it home!Regards,Bil in Kelowna :drive:

Just set a date for an open smarties-admire-the-NSU-project once it is running, and I'll make the drive up!

No problem Bil, I will let everyone know when it comes home, I am going to wesbank on tues to go get her rear bumper, which was restored and rechromed.Wendy

Well the progress is going a little quicker now, front end is in, must widen the wheel well a bit like the back, but she is starting to look like a car again. Woo Hoo!Wendy

post-8961-1323053559_thumb.jpg

post-8961-1323053591_thumb.jpg

Did the car originally come with 12" wheels?

Yes the car came with 12" wheels, but when you put the smart 15" standing next to the 12" there is a difference of 1/4" in total circumfrence, because of the 12"'s side wall being so tall . We will modify the wheel well just like the back. It looks a bit funny in the side shot, and the fender is actually resting on the wheel, because the shock towers wern't in yet.Wendy

Well finally an update of the Resto project. The front end has sat untouched for a while, and not much has happemed. Had a problem with fitting the front end in and getting everything lined up and at the right degree. So now the shock towers are now mocked up and inplace.Still more fitting to do but coming along once again. should have more of an update shortly.wendy

post-8961-1332569856_thumb.jpg

post-8961-1332569898_thumb.jpg

post-8961-1332569941_thumb.jpg

The outrigged shock towers looked way too fragile considering the type of force they would sustain - the general layout in the third photo looks more promising, structurally.

The outrigged shock towers looked way too fragile considering the type of force they would sustain - the general layout in the third photo looks more promising, structurally.

This is just the preliminary stages, the tower supports will be much stronger than what they appear now, as they are still being spaced with bits of wood right now :lol: I questioned how they look at this pooint too, and was told it is just temporary for holding purposes. will post more as it progresses.Thanks Bill for taking a boo.Wendy

You'd probably want the towers to be connected to each other with a bar.