Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fred J

Have you registered your serial number for posterity?

28 posts in this topic

A lot of members have helped Mike T compile a record of smart cars spotted, but how many have not sent in your own VIN.

If anyone hasn't done so, how about we flood Mike with our VINs to see if we can get the total to over 1,000 by year end.

A simple PM or email with a brief discription of your car and you too can become part of history.

Thanks for everyone's support.

We already have 754 "spotted" cars in Canada, out of 5494 in the country.

For the record, all I need is the serial number, i.e. the last 6 numbers of the VIN.

Cheers Fred, good idea

Holy Zombie thread! The total number of 450 VINs is now nearly 2700 out of 10,239 cdis, and just over 400 of the 8800 451s.But the message remains valid today!Help us keep track!

Holy Zombie thread! The total number of 450 VINs is now nearly 2700 out of 10,239 cdis, and just over 400 of the 8800 451s.But the message remains valid today!Help us keep track!

Hello Mike: I just bought a Smart, I know that it came from a dealer in Barrie Ontario. I live in Windsor OntarioIts a 2005 Fortwo CDI Coupe S/N 155133 it has 119000KM on it now and runs well. But it is Quite rusty under the car,must be an Ontario Salt thing (we just moved from Alberta) so I think any bolt I try and undo will snap off, rats!I was hoping to replace the Oil pan but bolts look bad. Maybe I should take to dealer but hate the cost they may charge.Thanks Mike!

Thanks John, I had that car in the inventory from 2012, when it was for sale in Bowmanville.To update this thread, the total number of cars whose location we know (by province at a minimum) is all of them - 10,239 - and we know more details about 3150 of them now, such as colour, trim level, options.

A few months later and we are nearing 3200 cars with details other than location.

Hi Mike,

I don't know if this one is in your 450 system yet, but here it is with an update for location.  249201

- Black with silver tridion

- Passion

170325_001.jpg

170325_002.jpg

1 person likes this

It was registered in Grimsby last time, thanks Ron.

Just an update for the new members (since 2005!):

We have the VIN of every smart 450 diesel that was imported to Canada.  On top of that, Max J. in Ontario downloaded from the WIS (electronic parts manual) the complete set of SA Codes for every diesel smart.  Well, almost complete; colour data for panels, tridion and upholstery are missing for about 2500 of the 10,239 cars.  But, the good news is that a lot of those gaps were filled in by actual car spotting by members of this Club.

I also did an Autocheck search on every single smart 450 cdi VIN in 2012, and got location data (town, province) as well as damage status (insurance claims).  So we have a reasonable base of information.  If you have any questions, go ahead!

1 person likes this

I wonder where my old blue/black 450 ended up. I sold it to a friend of mine when I got the 451 ED, but he sold it on shortly thereafter. 

VIN?

Or at least the last 6 digits?

Edited by MikeT

The last time that car was spotted was 2011 in Oakville...which must have been before you sold it.  It had a BRABUS grille.  Sorry I don't have newer data.  But if you have Autocheck, Carfax or something similar you can get its latest whereabouts.

On 8/5/2018 at 0:43 PM, MikeT said:

Just an update for the new members (since 2005!):

We have the VIN of every smart 450 diesel that was imported to Canada.  On top of that, Max J. in Ontario downloaded from the WIS (electronic parts manual) the complete set of SA Codes for every diesel smart.  Well, almost complete; colour data for panels, tridion and upholstery are missing for about 2500 of the 10,239 cars.  But, the good news is that a lot of those gaps were filled in by actual car spotting by members of this Club.

I also did an Autocheck search on every single smart 450 cdi VIN in 2012, and got location data (town, province) as well as damage status (insurance claims).  So we have a reasonable base of information.  If you have any questions, go ahead!

I am concerned I may have done something...inappropriate.  Underneath the entry for my VIN there was a "Report this VIN" so I added a note about where it's currently located and its current condition...

And then discovered the "Comment" button.

Did I just report my own car stolen or something?  What does that "Report" button do?

1 person likes this

Yup, it had a BRABUS grille and wheels, the opening sunroof, and leather seats. 

"Report" does nothing of the sort but I can't actually remember wha it does.  If you post the last 6 digits of the VIN I may be able to tell you something about the car's history.

1 person likes this

I saw your VIN in the other thread; the car was originally from Ontario but has been in the USA since at least 2011.  Enjoy!

1 person likes this

Typically, the radio code is included with the paperwork that should have been with the car.  If it wasn't, there are two solutions possible.  First, before going to MB, try pulling the radio out from the dash to see if someone has written it down on a card and taped it to the top of the radio or written it on with a Sharpie.  This is a simple thing to check.  Just use an old wire coat hangers and poke it into the two holes at the bottom of the dash near the radio and wiggle it a bit.  It should come out far enough to see the wires.  If this fails, a trip to MB may be needed.  If this is the case, you will need to provide them with the VIN and your proof of ownership.

1 person likes this

Better yet buy a modern radio and enjoy the technology offered in these radios...and as an added bonus they do not require an activation code to work...lol.  I would just wire them directly to a battery power source as not to upset the electronics of the car. Either by the side fuses on the SAM or directly to the battery...but never forget to turn off the radio if the latter. There are both switched and non switched fuse locations on the SAM that you can bite into.   Best way imho. You can also buy a radio face to make it look better from a place called S-MANN. Cheap imho.

1 person likes this

On 03/12/2020 at 0:17 AM, Leadwing said:

Typically, the radio code is included with the paperwork that should have been with the car.  If it wasn't, there are two solutions possible.  First, before going to MB, try pulling the radio out from the dash to see if someone has written it down on a card and taped it to the top of the radio or written it on with a Sharpie.  This is a simple thing to check.  Just use an old wire coat hangers and poke it into the two holes at the bottom of the dash near the radio and wiggle it a bit.  It should come out far enough to see the wires.  If this fails, a trip to MB may be needed.  If this is the case, you will need to provide them with the VIN and your proof of ownership.

Thank you, had radio out, also removed the tray below it, and only managed to find a Mc Donald coffee card(free coffee)lol, and some old parking passes, no numbers for radio though

43 minutes ago, marc276ca said:

Thank you, had radio out, also removed the tray below it, and only managed to find a Mc Donald coffee card(free coffee)lol, and some old parking passes, no numbers for radio though

Sounds like a trip to MB is needed .. sad to say.  Don't forget the proof of ownership.

1 person likes this

That car was in Lévis QC in 2012.  Sorry, I don't know the code.

1 person likes this

Marc, what colour is the car?  That's not in our database yet.  I do know it's a pulse with glass roof, A/C & outside temp display, softouch, auto shifting, pollen filter....but not the colour.