Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jwight

Ohio April Fools IV International, 13-15 April 2012

62 posts in this topic

Great - thanks for the replies. I'll be staying over also, don't want to miss the anniversary party! :)

Looking forward to it. Gord and Maggie will be attending as well. We booked a room there for the Friday night. I believe that KKsmart05 will be driving with us as well (in their own smart of course) and we will be crossing at Detroit on Friday and taking a bit more scenic route to Findlay once we get through Toledo. Any recommended routes south of Toledo?

Looking forward to it. Gord and Maggie will be attending as well. We booked a room there for the Friday night. I believe that KKsmart05 will be driving with us as well (in their own smart of course) and we will be crossing at Detroit on Friday and taking a bit more scenic route to Findlay once we get through Toledo. Any recommended routes south of Toledo?

Thanks for the update; added you and KKsmart05 to the list. 17 cars total now! :)bpsmart +1jwight +1IGT SMRT*Leadwing* +1adelaide J* +1CANMAN* +1 (and Peanut the dog)GetSmrt28277Adele2catsOrangecrate +1Barry Dearfieldjsenka +1FrostyFredGoSmart GoSmarterStephen Proffittgordo.bernard* +1KKsmart05**Club Smart Car

There's a copy of the Old Mill Stream scenic byway guide and the itinerary for the April Fools cruise here: Ohio April Fools IV info - Folder Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Please download if needed.

Findlay, OH information: Home - Visit Findlay

Things are coming together; don't forget your camera, folding chairs, sunscreen (optimists), umbrellas and sweaters (pessimists) and shorts/sandals (Canadians.) :D

Good idea to bring an FRS/GMRS radio along in case we get separated (that could never happen!) and we can exchange cell numbers at the motel also.

Remember, this is a scenic cruise, not a road race. We'll keep to the speed limits, obey traffic signs and generally behave responsibly (for the most part.) The entire route covers about 120 miles (193 km) and we should be done before 5 p.m. on Saturday. No problem if you want to join or leave the route at any point. We'll finish the cruise back at the Findlay Quality Inn.

See you in Findlay! :)

Have a favo(u)r to ask; if someone can find a small Canadian flag decal, maybe 1.5 x 3 inches, for the windshield I would very much appreciate it. TIA! :)

Have a favo(u)r to ask; if someone can find a small Canadian flag decal, maybe 1.5 x 3 inches, for the windshield I would very much appreciate it. TIA! :)

Done ! :thumbsup_still:

Those of you that are driving from the Detroit area may want to change it up a bit on the way down. I asked if anyone had suggestions for a more scenic route south of Toledo but no one replied, so I plotted my own. It adds an hour to the travel time but gets me off the I-75, which I have seen so many times in this area. It is a mystery tour since I have not been on any of these roads myself, but some of them have some curves at least and others don't even have painted lines. Take a look if interested.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=...1,12&num=10

Thanks for the update; added you and KKsmart05 to the list. 17 cars total now! :)bpsmart +1jwight +1IGT SMRT*Leadwing* +1adelaide J* +1CANMAN* +1 (and Peanut the dog)GetSmrt28277Adele2catsOrangecrate +1Barry Dearfieldjsenka +1FrostyFredGoSmart GoSmarterStephen Proffittgordo.bernard* +1KKsmart05* +1*Club Smart Car

Today's the day - see you all at the Quality Inn this afternoon (or Saturday morning if you get delayed en route.) :)

Could certainly have had better weather but the people on this one made up for it. Thanks everyone for making the drive (or flight) and helping this April Fools drive set the record for attendance and distance traveled (Kansas or Oklahoma?)We got to talk with the animals (Llamas, that is), have some great chili dogs and root beer at an old fashioned drive-in, educate some folks on the smart at Tiffen University (not to mention some serious close formation parking!), take a back alley detour, visit an historic woods (looked very much like a standard bunch of trees to me) and eat some excellent ice cream at a local parlor in Findlay. The Friday evening activities simply can't be put into words (mostly due to laws on libel and slander) but the "fine dining" experience was something to remember! As usual, thanks to all our Canadian friends for coming to visit and making it a party!Stay tuned for info on next year's fifth anniversary Ohio April Fools event. :)

Thanks again to jwight and the Ohio Group for yet another great weekend with a great bunch of smart people. Friday night's "fine dining" will go in our book of great memorys of our smart adventures. Looking forward to next year and that crazy bunch in the Lincoln.Elaine & John P.S. Got 48.5 MPG US on the way home. Had a good tail wind

Edited by smart142

Thanks again to jwight and the Ohio Group for yet another great weekend with a great bunch of smart people. Friday night's "fine dining" will go in our book of great memorys of our smart adventures. Looking forward to next year and that crazy bunch in the Lincoln.Elaine & John P.S. Got 48.5 MPG US on the way home. Had a good tail wind

Thanks for the mpg report; of course, we were headed south into a severe headwind so were getting a lot less than you did. :(

And more....some of the roads on the way there were less than two lanes wide following local streams and freshly paved. Some so narrow that there were no painted lines and they seemed more like someone's meandering driveway and not real roads. I couldn't understand why there were no motorcycles on them.

post-6582-1334585889_thumb.jpg

post-6582-1334585927_thumb.jpg

post-6582-1334586173_thumb.jpg