Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dennis M

Diesel 450 to US?

6 posts in this topic

OK, so I wrecked my wife's '05 450 tonight. Long story not worth repeating but the the little smartie survived a pretty good front end hit. Since this is a federalized gas European delivery I'm afraid the insurance company may total it due to the cost of getting the parts from Europe.If I have to replace it I would like to get a diesel. Has anyone been successful in bringing a used diesel into the US? Have to do a 450 as I carry it crosswise on the back of my truck, a 451 won't fit.

Edited by Dennis M

Glad you're OK! There are probably over 25 cdis registered in the USA, they all have different stories behind how they got there, often including the word "Florida"....check SCoA in the 450 forum and hook up with one of them by PM.

Just a thought but I would think most of the parts for the front of your smart should be the same as our smarts up here, so you should be able to get most of the parts from Canada instead of Europe, may help in not totaling the car, but otherwise, yes see if you can get a Canadian car registered in your state following Mike's suggestions. Good luck and glad you are fine.

Thanks for the advice guys. The ins co decided to total it just based on cost of similar parts from a 451. They did however come through with a more than fair settlement. Farmers Ins lived up to their promises.After looking at and driving new 451s we decided to go that way. Bought a 2011 Passion with 8k miles on it today. Have to do a couple of mods on my truck deck, but it will be workable.If anyone is interested in a repairable G&K 450, it will be going to auction at:QCSA of Hammond (IN)219-932-0355case # 263 699

Edited by Dennis M

Howdy!I have a diesel truck I use to tow my RV. Now that diesel has to be refined its always much more expensive than gas in the US would not purchase a diesel. We are waiting on our 2012 451 to be delivered now.Happy Trails"chiefneon

LOL! Don't talk to me about fuel prices - our truck has twin 150 gallon tanks, try filling that up sometime!